Truck Brakes

My truck 2004 Dodge Ram Diesel has developed a brake issue. Up @ deer camp, I could travel aprox 14-15 miles and the brakes started to apply themselves. Gradually until they were on to the point the truck would not move until it cooled down. And yes, I got them very hot several times.
Here's what I noticed, and what I've done to narrow the problem down.
Once they start applying pressure to the disks (4 equally) it increases to the point of the truck comming to a complete stop, smoke from all 4 corners. The pedal gets very stiff/hard and it takes several hours of down time to be back to normal, for another 14-15 miles. I've removed the ABS fuses, unhooked the batteries to let the computer reset, disconnected the trailer brake control. I'm guessing master cylinder, but not sure. Any ideas or others that have had this issue.

dofo1

One thing to try is make sure that your brake pedal is returning all the way back up when you take your foot off the pedal. If it doesn't than the brake fluid can build up pressure and apply the brakes.

tundra ron

I think your calipers are bad I had a issue with my 93 Toyota truck put new calipers on front no more problem. I did have drums on the back.

Is the truck 4 wheel Abs? Is so I believes it's in the abs unit I have heard of this happening before. I would guess something with a speed sensor or valve body. Get on a dodge forum site and post I am sure you will get an answer

jeff_d

Is it possible that something other than brake fluid got added to the master cylinder? If anything petroleum based is put into the brake system it will swell up all of the rubber components and you will pretty much have to replace everything from master cylinder to all hoses and calipers and anything else with rubber in it. Then you have to flush out all of the steel lines with cleaner and fresh brake fluid. I am an automotive tech and have seen this a couple of times and it isn't a good thing. One quick way to tell if this is the case is check the gasket on the cap for the master and see if it is swelled up.

Is it possible that something other than brake fluid got added to the master cylinder? If anything petroleum based is put into the brake system it will swell up all of the rubber components and you will pretty much have to replace everything from master cylinder to all hoses and calipers and anything else with rubber in it. Then you have to flush out all of the steel lines with cleaner and fresh brake fluid. I am an automotive tech and have seen this a couple of times and it isn't a good thing. One quick way to tell if this is the case is check the gasket on the cap for the master and see if it is swelled up.

It is looking like something other than brake fluid has been introduced to the brake fluid? Not sure how this could have happened, but I did have the rear brakes replaced a very short time ago when I got new tires & shocks.

Your trucks power assist is run in connection with the power steering pump so the fluid and pressure may be power steering fluid. See link
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issue/article.aspx?contentid=38431

Yep that's what it appears, but the shop is thinking they added power steering fluid to the brake fluid by accident. Does not seem to be anything mechanical wrong at this point. They've taken it on several 30 - 40 mile runs and all is good. Thanks for your replys and suggestions.