Turbo Yamacats

Looking to finally get back into sledding with my own unit next season. Last owned a sled in 2008. Ive owned everything from an 03 Rev 800 to a Tcat tripple. Who has a Winder, SRX or ZR9000? Are they really that heavy and how about reliability? I have never been a fast trail rider and will never go off trail. My other option will be a DOO 850. Id rather buy something that will last many years engine wise.

mnuser

Pick up a used Ace 900. Those sleds are pretty nice. Just a rock solid motor for someone who wants longevity.

I have a '17 Sidewinder, which I love. I have not had any issues (knock on wood), but I also had read about some issues others had when they first came out. So, there were a few things that were done for preventative maintenance. If you do go this route, I would suggest taking a look at the Sidewinder forum on Totallyamaha.com (hopefully it's ok to mention another website on this one.) It will provide you with very comprehensive info about this model and what potential issues and fixes may be. Just like anything else, some products have good and bad, even within the same production line. My brother has the T-cat version (same year.) He has not had any issues.
I guess it also depends what you're really looking for. Are you wanting one of the fastest production models made that may come with extra need for maintenance or care? Or are you just wanting a good reliable sled? Normally, the more HP, the higher the need for care and extra maintenance. I cannot speak for the Doos mentioned, but have heard both good and bad. Again, any brand will have issues at times. Good luck.

G

G

I have an 18 Sidewinder. 3500 miles. Very minor issues mechanically. Biggest thing was ski upgrade. Stock Tuners are horrible in just about all conditions. Yami finally addressed that last year. Other than that a good sled. Have ridden other mfgrs sleds here and there since I got the Sidewinder. Doos and poos. There isn't much left on them after 100. Although they get there quickly. But always glad to get back on to the Sidewinder. The power is addictive.

nytro_rtx

I have a '17 Sidewinder, which I love. I have not had any issues (knock on wood), but I also had read about some issues others had when they first came out. So, there were a few things that were done for preventative maintenance. If you do go this route, I would suggest taking a look at the Sidewinder forum on Totallyamaha.com (hopefully it's ok to mention another website on this one.) It will provide you with very comprehensive info about this model and what potential issues and fixes may be. Just like anything else, some products have good and bad, even within the same production line. My brother has the T-cat version (same year.) He has not had any issues.
I guess it also depends what you're really looking for. Are you wanting one of the fastest production models made that may come with extra need for maintenance or care? Or are you just wanting a good reliable sled? Normally, the more HP, the higher the need for care and extra maintenance. I cannot speak for the Doos mentioned, but have heard both good and bad. Again, any brand will have issues at times. Good luck.
I have an 18 Sidewinder. 3500 miles. Very minor issues mechanically. Biggest thing was ski upgrade. Stock Tuners are horrible in just about all conditions. Yami finally addressed that last year. Other than that a good sled. Have ridden other mfgrs sleds here and there since I got the Sidewinder. Doos and poos. There isn't much left on them after 100. Although they get there quickly. But always glad to get back on to the Sidewinder. The power is addictive.
Agree with everything these guys said, I have a '17 with close to 5500 miles and it's been good so far other then I had to do a repair on the drive shaft this spring when I put in the new track.(bearing spun on shaft so I turned it down and pressed on new bushing) Also look at totallyamaha.com, everything you need to know is there. Atleast give 1 a try, boost is very addicting!!

whitedust

There is only 2 OEMs that have 4s sleds tcat and sidewinder same sled so you have Yamaha made in TRF or Doo made in Canada. Check out their websites not that much to research. Lightest if weight is important is doo. Yamaha legacy 4s made in Japan are long gone. 🤷‍♂️

1fujifilm

Looking to finally get back into sledding with my own unit next season. Last owned a sled in 2008. Ive owned everything from an 03 Rev 800 to a Tcat tripple. Who has a Winder, SRX or ZR9000? Are they really that heavy and how about reliability? I have never been a fast trail rider and will never go off trail. My other option will be a DOO 850. Id rather buy something that will last many years engine wise.
Don't forget to bring the hair dryer and an extension cord to thaw out the relay.
Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself.

Did they fix this yet?

Bear

G

G

No need for a hair dryer or an extension cord. Take out relay and hold it in your hand. Put relay back and start. Overblown problem. Vendor issue. Also happens with Pol relays.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Agree with everything these guys said, I have a '17 with close to 5500 miles and it's been good so far other then I had to do a repair on the drive shaft this spring when I put in the new track.(bearing spun on shaft so I turned it down and pressed on new bushing) Also look at totallyamaha.com, everything you need to know is there. Atleast give 1 a try, boost is very addicting!!
We have 2 of the 17 Thundercats. They ride like Cadillac, but if you do a lot of twisty trails you are going to feel it in the shoulders. I still would not trade mine for anything. Just regular maintenance. We did install the fourth wheel kit when brand new on both.

snoden

Id rather buy something that will last many years engine wise.
This statement screams 4 stroke!
I have never been a fast trail rider and will never go off trail.
Any sled that comes from the mfg. with a turbo is gonna be more power than you will ever use. The skidoo 900 ACE and the Yamaha Viper are N/A motors. Both are very reliable and would be good choices for your application. We have 3 Vipers in our group with over 15,000 miles and have never touched the motors, not even a spark plug. I'm sure there are 900 ACE motors out there that can say the same thing. Although they are ready for a valve adjustment and a set of plugs, then will be ready for another 15,000 miles.

I ride an 18 sidewinder LTX LE tuned up with Hurricane cluster flash 225/240/270 SS/CL/SM. It is so smooth at any speed, from 1 MPH to 125 MPH and anything in between. Handling is the best in the business, the procross chassis is still the best on snow. Zero ski lift cornering, stable with both skis planted. The rear suspension is just as good and overall, a great package.

Steering can be on the heavy side but there is an option, I have the BOP mechanical steering arms. It makes the sled feel like it has power steering. I'm running curve skis with Bergstrom 8" triple points, a very aggressive set up with ease.

Just returned home from a week in the UP, 10 guys and all makes. Everyone rode my sidewinder, I will not do this again! I couldn't wait to get back on my sidewinder while they were much happier riding it than their own sleds.

ICT Sledder

If you're biased in favor of a Yamaha/Cat, want a four stroke, but as you say aren't that fast of a trail rider, then I guess I'm not sure why a ZR7000 or a Viper isn't what you might want to look instead. Those are the non-turbo four stokes (probably stating the obvious for you).

whitedust

Both Yamaha and doo 4s engines have a nice broad power band. If you want a SW go for it but seems unnecessary for your stated riding style. 850 as well seems more than you need. SW is a load without MPS for me. Yamaha finally introduced EPS for SW 2022 but good luck finding one.

G

G

If you take the time and sort out the front end with some aftermarket skis and then fine tune the center shock tension they turn easily and precisely. Power steering is not necessary unless you yourself have some structural issues. Look for an LE model because they came with better shocks. The SEs will be cheaper and the shocks are the reason for that.