UP Campground - Whats wrong with the DNR?

eagle1

Unreal. Yet they had money for the locks, moving the dirt and boulders and now looking for the perpetrators.

michaeladams

budget shortfalls,closed campgrounds. what is the first thing government entities do when forced to cut back? the answer is--- take it out on the people that pay thier wages.if they wont give us more and more and more we'll just show them.we'll make it illeagle for them to use thier land that they bought with thier tax dollars.dang it! don't get me started.

samc

budget shortfalls,closed campgrounds. what is the first thing government entities do when forced to cut back? the answer is--- take it out on the people that pay thier wages.if they wont give us more and more and more we'll just show them.we'll make it illeagle for them to use thier land that they bought with thier tax dollars.dang it! don't get me started.
I think your already started........ LOL

asmski

I guess I don't understand the cost of just keeping public lands open for people to use. I do not understand why that costs anything. Stop mowing and lock the bathrooms, but why build a berm and label it closed, in my mind the costs to keep it open are then eliminated.

michaeladams

if it is open they have to patrol it to make sure no one is having fun. remember, the montra that has to be practiced in government is "We're not happy til your not happy."

skipschulz

Facts are:
Costs more to fill a well, then to keep it open.
Costs more to fill a pit toilet then to keep it clean.
Costs more to keep a NON-PATROLLED campground free of problems then it is to patrol.

This and many more reasons is why our State Senator Tom Casperson was successfull in preventing the closure of the State Forest Campgrounds, at least till September.

ezra

same reason when schools dont get a levy passed or dont get the yearly 10% bump they start talking about cutting bus service.what ever will be the most inconvent is what is done 1st.screw em! let the Gov shut down and then we will see what is realy needed after a yr or so.I guarentee we can get buy with out 1/2 the workers 3/4 of the hand outs.

snocrazy

I live in the Hiawatha Forest. I was notified by the DNR that there is a huge project that is going to piss me off in soooo many ways. It is such a waste.
To see they are closing these campgrounds sucks. I dont understand why the people running the show can not see the big picture. They just see them self and the other people who work with them.

Look it up some time "Mirrorwood Project"

They are building unneccessary roads, log banks of over 15 miles of river, bike paths, closing bike paths, logging to make it look more natural (select cut)

vx700xtc

try this

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ITq2A0F4gLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

booondocker

I guess I don't understand the cost of just keeping public lands open for people to use. I do not understand why that costs anything. Stop mowing and lock the bathrooms, but why build a berm and label it closed, in my mind the costs to keep it open are then eliminated.

Life used to be simple. Now it has gotten complicated. Not that long ago, there were completely free camping spots with few restrictions and it was well, as it was intended a opening in the woods where you camped. You took your own wood...or searched for some...which kept the downed wood cleaned up for miles, and you took your own trash, and if you had a luxury rig, you pooped in your own toilet or if you didn't you dug a pit and did your thing there. Later on, they decided to put smelly toilets in that needed maintaining....along came water, cement to rest your camper on, electric, and a guy who strolled around and made you turn down your radios.

This whole thing has mushroomed into a high cost expense.

So why can't they just close the toilets and go back to those days?

Oh, that is not possible. People will complain...they say, and folks WANT all those nice things so they can feel like they are back home again.

In reality, it is about creating jobs, and then loosing them when they get into a budget crunch. You DON"T get rid of personel, cause you might need them, and if your groupl numbers are cut there is always the possibility that your whole department might get the axe.

So managers don't go there.

Meanwhile we spend millions on Pure Michigan ads which are designed to get folks in the north and spending money. Only when they get there they have few choices and places that used to be there and nice are shut down.

If you want to think out of the box on this, the State should do like they do with littery patrol on the highways. Let a group or merchant sponsor the park and take care of it and keep it clean and once or twice a year pump the stupid tanks.

If anyone should be upset about loosing those rural parks it should be the local merchants who continue to take a hit as each park closes because those folks are gone...and that is just one more spike in the coffin for those who are trying to stay afloat in a tough tourist market.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Funny how we always want to blame someone else. I guess we all need a dragon to slay, but ever think that the reason why porta-potties went up is because too many lazy schmucks did not want to take care of their waste properly?

What about all the broken beer bottles, Domino's pizza boxes, KFC wrappers and other junk left laying around a camp site because folks figured they were done using the spot and could just leave it in any way they wanted?

Stuff happens for a reason folks. I for one will stick up for the DNR, at least the local units. They are manned by locals that know their stuff and my experiences with them have only been positive. There have been many cases where the local DNR folks have bent over backwards to help on something or make sure something was done right. The exception was when I got pulled over for having my registration in the wrong spot on my sled, but the bottom line is I was in the wrong and the officer was only doing his job.

What happens in at the DNR office in Lansing is a whole other story many times, but then again, so is what happens in a lot of the government offices in Lansing.

Just my 2 cents.

-John