UP Snowmobile Season Extended to April 2nd

indy_500

Gogebic area grooming, Superior club, North Country club have officially extended thru Sunday.

Gogebic area grooming trails are currently in FANTASTIC shape, north country decent, superiors not so much, but if Fridays storm pans out there will still be some good riding!

Indy, we always used to go up in the Key after everyone was done riding for the year and have had amazing trails up there. I probably shouldn't share that on here as we always have the place to ourselves! lol With that said, you are correct, Gogebic is in the best shape right now. If John's pink pen is correct, it should be good everywhere this weekend. Can't wait to get up there!

indy_500

Indy, we always used to go up in the Key after everyone was done riding for the year and have had amazing trails up there. I probably shouldn't share that on here as we always have the place to ourselves! lol With that said, you are correct, Gogebic is in the best shape right now. If John's pink pen is correct, it should be good everywhere this weekend. Can't wait to get up there!
Yep, definitely don’t want to ride the Kee from Xmas to Presidents’ Day unless you like 2 foot moguls! Late season is primo. Most don’t have any cash left or vacation time to travel that far.

goofy600

Watersmeet should still be in great shape also as we did groom last week a couple days and have enough money for one more day to groom so will be sending drivers out at least one day towards the weekend. Can’t tell you much more as I’m enjoying 80 degrees on Arizona and a few beers but my drivers will take care of it. Anyone out riding enjoy and be safe.

packerlandrider

For the few people who are considering riding trails this upcoming weekend, can reinforce what Indy said: Gogebic Area Grooming (Bergland), North Country (Ontonagon) and Superior (Greenland) are all leaving their trails open for the weekend. At least Gogebic has stated they'll groom through the weekend (they continue to groom on a daily basis). Superior says they will ONLY be grooming Trail 3 due to wet spots everywhere else. Keweenaw (from Toivola north) are closing their trails as of midnight on the 31st.

Another area to consider: I drove from Marquette to Covington on Monday, and all the trails in the Ishpeming - Champion - Netoria area looked fantastic then (5 trail crossings observed). Yesterday, a handful of good reports from this area also appeared on Polaris Ride Command. The Big Bay club reportedly groomed everything over the weekend, and aside from near town reported everything still good. I'm still waiting to see the word that the Moose Country and Big Bay clubs are officially open to people using their trails this weekend, but the impression I've gotten over the years is generally the case for early April in that area, State approval or not. (this area usually holds it's snow as long as nearly anywhere during Spring breakup)

For those wanting to see which clubs groom where, see the map part way down this page: https://misorva.org/trail-report/

Last edited:
Anybody crossed the Portage Canal on the ice near the Ramada lately? Haven't been up there in 2 weeks, it was fine then. Thinking of a back pack trip worried about bridge gates getting locked before I come back Saturday morning

wiscrev

When the say here, we can always go to Mammoth Mountain, CA---------record year 695" and it's still going!

packerlandrider

250 miles in the past two days.
~200 miles very good / excellent
~40 miles good (ungroomed drifted areas)
~10 miles fair / poor (road routes)
21 total other snowmobilers seen, mostly at gas stations / restaurants
Multiple very happy / welcoming businesses we got to patronize

My dad was told by numerous people on & before Friday he was crazy for traveling up here to ride this weekend. (In fairness, when you wake up to pouring rain on Friday morning it's hard to imagine snowmobiling the next day.) By Saturday afternoon, he said it should be the opposite: "he would have been crazy NOT to come up and ride."

For those who know where / how to ride in Michigan in April / May, conditions wise you should have every opportunity to do so. This weekend we didn't ride the "big snow area" of the region of the U.P. we were in yet there were many stretches we did see which will likely be good for forest road riding still two weeks from now. Can't imagine how "winter-like" it probably looks in the big snow country we didn't even get to...

Attachments

• IMG_20230401_102842600.jpg
    IMG_20230401_102842600.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230401_153220158.jpg
    IMG_20230401_153220158.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230402_141714317.jpg
    IMG_20230402_141714317.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230402_141214110.jpg
    IMG_20230402_141214110.jpg