Value of memorabilia

lofsfire

All right so this is completely off topic but I'm sure there's others that either are involved in or attend functions like this one so I'm looking for a little input.

So the fire department I volunteer for holds a firefighters ball as a fundraiser. Basically the events very similar to a wedding without the bride and groom... We sell tickets for dinner and then we have a silent auction set up for people to bid on items as well. We typically run a couple raffles plus 50/50 throughout the night. Of course the dance floor is open and it's an open top shelf bar as well.

Most of the auction items are donated from an area businesses some from private people. We've had items such as go-kart racing for four at like k1 speed, I had $1,000 Traeger smoker package complete with pellets and seasoning... Sports memorabilia some signed some not, different branded items. One year we hit a Corona branded surfboard that at was for display only. Two guys got in a bidding war over that and that went for like $1,000... Honestly I was surprised... I think the retail value was like $100 maybe even 50...

With that said, how many of you remember The Flying the Wallenda's? Maybe some of you even saw them perform. They were the ones that were famous for the seven man pyramid and performing with no net. One of the most famous was Karl Wallenda.

So with that background this brings me to my question.

I was given the last known picture of Karl performing at successful show. The next show that he would go on to do was in San Juan, Puerto Rico when he fell to his death.

I've attached the picture. This picture was taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico March 18, 1978. In the picture Karl is standing on the far left. As you can see he is hard to see as well in the picture. Then on March 22nd he performed and fell 120 feet to his death.

This photo also features, Philip Wallenda (center), Rietta Wallenda (top in the chair), and Farrel Wallenda (right).

20240326_195926~2.jpg

The photo was given to me by Philip Wallenda and will also be signed by him. He will also be at the event and is willing to talk to anybody about the picture or any other questions they have. The picture is also in a frame and has a small write up about where and when the picture was taken all the people in it etc.

My dilemma is where do I start bidding on something like this at? I've gone on eBay and it seems like most Wallenda pictures are going/asking around $20 from this time frame. I get that this isn't like a huge star or anything. But since he's going to be at the event I don't want to insult him either. I also don't want to set it at a price that nobody bids on it. He's not the type of person that would be insulted or at least ever tell you he w I asked him where I should start bidding out at and he really didn't have an answer...

So I was hoping some of you possibly were involved in an event like this and you could offer some insight... Maybe even just the perspective of somebody that's in attendance?

Keep in mind he is a local and probably a third of the people at the event will know and his entire story. I'd say another good handful probably know him but don't know his story. My point is some of these people have access to him anytime they want.

I will say he's a bit on the crazy side and he can talk to anybody. He's the kind of person that can keep you laughing with jokes the entire time you're talking to him. He truly does have some amazing stories from wingwalks on airplanes to the tightrope. He was even shot out of a cannon once. He did say it was only once and he'd never do it again. LOL

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want to be harsh here, but I think you've got a niche market and need to price accordingly. I recall the name and some of the stunts but it was long enough ago that there will be limited interest from the general public. If he's known locally, I would target that area. If he's entertaining as you say, maybe include a dinner with the man and two guests to increase the perceived value. Good Luck!

whitedust

You are in a tough situation just ask him what price to start so his idea not yours. Just tell him you have no idea honesty works here you don’t know.

lofsfire

Not harsh at all, I know it's a niche market and that is why I was asking. Most of the people that attend are local, there are a few that may be are not because they know someone connected to the fire department or one of their friends invited them, that type of thing... Including a dinner is not a bad idea.

Whitedust, yes, you are correct, time definitely fades memories. But I'm going to say Elvis and the Beatles have a bit more of a following. LOL

This was basically what I was expecting you guys to say... Oh and I did ask him, and he said, "I have no idea..."

Tim in Indiana

Boy this is a tough question. I know well the history of the Wallenda family but I also grew up in a town that revolved around the circus world. I recall seeing many of the old time performers as a child but I wouldn't expect others to know about them.

Considering that there will be several people familiar with the family history could you speak with some of them and gauge their interest before the event? Possibly make sure there will be bids before putting it on the block?

lofsfire

So I just talked to him and he was good starting at $10 he said he would meet the winner and give them the whole back story on the photo. As he said, "he could go on for hours about the picture..." Like I said, he can talk and keep it interesting... He realizes it is a niche item, but as you will read below you will see why it is probably more important to me than him. He just figured he would do it for me and my connection to the department.

Boy this is a tough question. I know well the history of the Wallenda family but I also grew up in a town that revolved around the circus world. I recall seeing many of the old time performers as a child but I wouldn't expect others to know about them.

Considering that there will be several people familiar with the family history could you speak with some of them and gauge their interest before the event? Possibly make sure there will be bids before putting it on the block?

With that said and a few unfiltered responses here is what I did not tell you. Mainly, because I want an honest answer, not just what you thought I wanted to hear...

Tim in Indiana since you know the history I wonder if you know all of the Wallenda were not actual family. Don't get me wrong, with what they did they were still very tight like a family, but many used stage names. In the case of Philip Wallenda, his real first name was Ted and he was not related to the Wallendas at all. Ted, AKA Philip Wallenda, is my uncle. One of his friends talked him into learning the tightrope and he eventually became connected with the Wallenda family and as they say, the rest is history.

My family growing up was a lot like the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, with the exception of Greek school and church. But we had just as many Philip, George, Nick, and Chris in the family. Also, family gatherings were very similar to the movie. My Uncle Ted was the crazy one in the family, he moved to Sarasota, FL before I was born. So he was that cool uncle who flew in two times a year to see everyone, plus all of the special occasions. Eventually, as my grandparents got older he moved back here to Indiana to be with the family and he has stayed as he's gotten older too. So even after knowing him my entire life I still find out new things every time we talk.

LoveMyDobe

Speaking from experience(We had an auction business and did many benefit auctions for local organizations at no charge to them, ) start low to get everyone involved. Remember its not where you start its where you end up. If people are drinking they tend to be more generous. Make sure your auctioneer tells the story of this picture and remind the crowd who the money is going for. At our snowmobile benefit a 6 pk of TP went for 4 grand.!! And thank you for your service on the FD. My hubs just "retired" from our local FD in Iron River His second retirement after selling the auction business and retiring from J Deere in Iowa before we moved North up here. Also you could also advertise this online(your FD FB page, local paper or flyers).

lofsfire

Speaking from experience(We had an auction business and did many benefit auctions for local organizations at no charge to them, ) start low to get everyone involved. Remember its not where you start its where you end up. If people are drinking they tend to be more generous. Make sure your auctioneer tells the story of this picture and remind the crowd who the money is going for. At our snowmobile benefit a 6 pk of TP went for 4 grand.!! And thank you for your service on the FD. My hubs just "retired" from our local FD in Iron River His second retirement after selling the auction business and retiring from J Deere in Iowa before we moved North up here. Also you could also advertise this online(your FD FB page, local paper or flyers).
Thanks for your husband's service to his department as well. I know we have a few people on the site that volunteer as well! I will say we need every one of them too! I started in 1994 at 14 years old This is my 30th year with the department. I was the Fire Chief from 2018 till 2020 right after Covid was in full lockdown mode. I had back surgery in Nov of 19th after that I had to take a step back from the physical side of things. Now I do as much community relations and fundraising as I can. I really miss running the calls! I have loved every minute of it, even though some days can really test you, it is still all worth it! Our department runs Fire and Ambulance service. The ambulance is staffed with part time people for 12hr shifts. We run 1500 calls a year, back in 1994 we ran about 70 calls per year... 65% of firefighters in the US are volunteer this number it falling daily due to the demands put on the volunteers. For anyone reading this, if you have ever thought about volunteering, please stop in at your local fire house! They need you help!

So yes this has been the way we start pricing as well. Some go just crazy like the surfboard I talk about in the first post. Some bring less than expected, but typically thing go for around 80-85% of their value.

I would love to try and live auction sometime but this is all silent. The TP is crazy... It's funny how some random things just take off in bidding. This week is only going to get busier for me but I will try to post some pictures and links and let people know how it turned out.

LoveMyDobe

Thanks for your husband's service to his department as well. I know we have a few people on the site that volunteer as well! I will say we need every one of them too! I started in 1994 at 14 years old This is my 30th year with the department. I was the Fire Chief from 2018 till 2020 right after Covid was in full lockdown mode. I had back surgery in Nov of 19th after that I had to take a step back from the physical side of things. Now I do as much community relations and fundraising as I can. I really miss running the calls! I have loved every minute of it, even though some days can really test you, it is still all worth it! Our department runs Fire and Ambulance service. The ambulance is staffed with part time people for 12hr shifts. We run 1500 calls a year, back in 1994 we ran about 70 calls per year... 65% of firefighters in the US are volunteer this number it falling daily due to the demands put on the volunteers. For anyone reading this, if you have ever thought about volunteering, please stop in at your local fire house! They need you help!

So yes this has been the way we start pricing as well. Some go just crazy like the surfboard I talk about in the first post. Some bring less than expected, but typically thing go for around 80-85% of their value.

I would love to try and live auction sometime but this is all silent. The TP is crazy... It's funny how some random things just take off in bidding. This week is only going to get busier for me but I will try to post some pictures and links and let people know how it turned out.
Live auctions are fun. I almost came home with a Lab puppy at a Ducks Unlimited banquet but my hubs held my arms down, I started bidding with my feet Thank Goodness because I already had 4 Dobermans at home............

Tim in Indiana

So I just talked to him and he was good starting at $10 he said he would meet the winner and give them the whole back story on the photo. As he said, "he could go on for hours about the picture..." Like I said, he can talk and keep it interesting... He realizes it is a niche item, but as you will read below you will see why it is probably more important to me than him. He just figured he would do it for me and my connection to the department.

With that said and a few unfiltered responses here is what I did not tell you. Mainly, because I want an honest answer, not just what you thought I wanted to hear...

Tim in Indiana since you know the history I wonder if you know all of the Wallenda were not actual family. Don't get me wrong, with what they did they were still very tight like a family, but many used stage names. In the case of Philip Wallenda, his real first name was Ted and he was not related to the Wallendas at all. Ted, AKA Philip Wallenda, is my uncle. One of his friends talked him into learning the tightrope and he eventually became connected with the Wallenda family and as they say, the rest is history.

My family growing up was a lot like the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, with the exception of Greek school and church. But we had just as many Philip, George, Nick, and Chris in the family. Also, family gatherings were very similar to the movie. My Uncle Ted was the crazy one in the family, he moved to Sarasota, FL before I was born. So he was that cool uncle who flew in two times a year to see everyone, plus all of the special occasions. Eventually, as my grandparents got older he moved back here to Indiana to be with the family and he has stayed as he's gotten older too. So even after knowing him my entire life I still find out new things every time we talk.
No, I wasn't aware of that. But it doesn't surprise me. "Circus People" were entertainers and if they needed to add family members that was they way it was. The Show has to go on.

I sent you a private message also.