VERY UNFORTUNATE NEWS!!! TRAIL 109 is Gone!!!

kip

I say with much regret that we're losing trail 109 from Twin Lakes to Alston. It has been repeatedly abused by trespassers and the Superior Snowmobile Club was warned once and given a 2nd chance. That being said Superior Snowmobile Club did everything they could to prevent this with many warnings and signage. I'm asking all of you who sled in groups to please hold each other accountable so this doesn't continue to happen. We've been very lucky in the U.P. for many years with the freedom to ride many places. There is no excuse for this and it could've been prevented. I'm sorry to give such bad news as this is the last thing we need with all that is going on.

slimcake

That sucks. Sucks bad. That re-route of 109 was a lot of fun last year! I wonder if a lot of the trespassing problems stemmed from the lack of grooming where the groomer turned around? Getting to be no way around running grade trails and grade trails get old fast...

wisco-mb

That's terrible to hear. That was one of the better trails. I'm not too fond of rail trails, so that trail was always a nice change of scenery...
Fing people....

WorkHardPlayHrd

Just wrong, but there are unfortunately a small group that hurt the majority. Until you find a way to catch them and then make sure they don't come back this scenario will keep repeating.

whitedust

Ouch! That was a nice connection south from 13 loop from Twin Lakes. Off the top of my head that adds traffic to 12 to 109 assuming 109 south of Alston is still open??? Please let me know if 109 south of Alston is still open to connect with 12.

euphoric1

I don't hear any of the ones who think they are entitled to ride when they want, where they want chiming in about this :confused2: and as WorkHardPlayhrd stated " a small group that hurt the majority " That really sucks!! people seem to forget that registration or trail sticker is not an entitlement and with out the generosity of land owners and the hard work of clubs we would have no where to ride. Big thanks to those with the entitlement mindset! uuuugh!!

sweeperguy

SAD NEWS for sure. Loved that trail. Always rode it even when grooming was poor. Losses like this continue to give sledders a bad rap. As stated, a few ruining it for all.
BUMMER

2TrakR

I say with much regret that we're losing trail 109 from Twin Lakes to Alston. It has been repeatedly abused by trespassers and the Superior Snowmobile Club was warned once and given a 2nd chance.

The email I saw implied it was "abuse" during spring/summer/fall and not winter. Don't know the facts, thus I'm asking. Do you know if this was wheeled vehicles causing the issue?

pclark

This outlines the very reason that we need more membership in local snowmobile clubs. Unless you are involved in your club or spend time working the trails you don't really know what goes on behind the scenes to keep trails open and landowners happy. So.......join a club and get educated, it will be best for you and you will learn what the rules are. One of the biggest rules is called RESPECT, something I see less and less of these days.

Hopefully someone that is not in a club and doesn't frequent this site will see this and take it upon themselves to join a club and get involved. We need younger members, I am one of the younger guys in our club and I'm 63. I know its the same thing with a lot of clubs.

On a good note, its snowing in Manitowish Waters and starting to stick to the ground.

2TrakR

We were informed that the abuse was done by both SXS/wheelers and snowmobiles.

What I've gathered from one of the Club Members, it was wheeled machines during Spring/Summer/Fall. Maybe some sleds during the transition periods, but sure sounds like wheeled machines trespassing on private land (fully illegal). I've not ridden through there on wheels, since I know it's not legal, but I presume it was SxS "following the [snowmobile] trail markers" instead of being aware of what they can legally be on.

kip

I do not know the exact details yet but when I hear the facts I'll report. My gut tells me that it was a summer issue that caused the closing. We just found out today from the Superior Snowmobile Club. I'll certainly report as the facts become known.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, please join a club and get involved. It can only help and unfortunately yes, most members are older. Our youth needs to stand up and get involved if they want a future in snowmobiling.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very unfortunate indeed. No what else is unfortunate? The fact that the superior club does not use social media to announce, or discuss anything. Just today on Facebook I have seen this announcement shared by at least 25 other people, businesses and the MSA. Now just imagine if the club would have had a Facebook page this last fall when it first happened. Social media has it's bad points for sure, but in a situation like this, it would have been a great tool to have. It would have spread like wildfire. Just like last year when Omers posted on their FB page about sledders on the golf course. By the following weekend there were zero tracks on it, and for the most part, for the rest of the season. We are all in this together, social media is a fantastic way of getting the word out about something, good or bad, to club members, and non club members. The only time club members hear about anything, is the end of the year letter we get. Those club members who live out of state, it's hard to get to a club meeting on a week night.

That being said, once a base gets built up, one can take Emily Lake road from Twin Lakes, to Pike Lake road, left on Pike lake road to North Laird road, left on Laird until you get to Alston Road, then follow that right to Alston and the Alston bar, where, hopefully, 109 is open from there to trail 12. You can also, but I'm not saying you should, run the ditch on M38 to South Laird road, and take that to trail 12. The ditch run from Alston to south Laird road is about an 1/8th mile to a 1/4 mile. Obviously this will not be as fun as taking 109, which is always a riot, but, at least you can get to Alston.

whitedust

I assume the problem is from Twin lakes down to the Turn around N of Alston. South of the Hi Lines is the Baraga Club.

The question is will Baraga continue to groom a dead end 109 trail? Baraga had problems grooming 109 over the years due to wet spots. Now what? May just groom new 109 to 12 connection eliminate old 109 trail to Twin Lakes is my best guess.