Vila County trails can't open till Dec 17th 2013 Due to Hunting

whitedust

Ok after checking around the WI DNR now states the Holiday Deer hunt is being considered for farmland south of HYW 64. That is still a very large area IMO Marrinette on the east, to Antigo central, to New Richmond on the west side is a whole lot of WI south of that line that could be closed to snowmobiling thru the Xmas Holiday. Vilas County,WI snowmobile trail opener should be no later than December 17th depending on snow conditions & will probably open snow or no snow so trails are ready for Xmas week. If your are south of Hyw 64 your snowmobiles trails maybe closed because of this new Holiday Deer Hunt & you will need to contact your local snowmobile club for the exact opening date. In my experience there will be heavy system snow storm somewhere in WI before Xmas so check for trail status before chasing snow. To me this is NOT good for snowmobiling or the WI economy so I don't understand the WI DNRs' thinking on this matter so feel free to contact the WI DNR to express your opinion.

pirate

Talked to some people from Conover, who went to the Meeting last week at the Eagle River high school . And they did indeed ask for feed back on having a holiday hunt in Northern Wis over the holiday week .. From what he said the few snowmobilers and business that were there, and would be affected by this are very against even the idea being suggested . But some hunters and land owners from the area are for it in some respects .. Like I opened this post with , my bigger concern is why would the DNR even want to float the idea is beyond me . I am all for everyone sharing in out door activity's . But this would have untold economic impact in any or all areas if it happened this or any year . And from my understanding the deer heard at least by me ( Vila County /Conover area) is still in serious trouble and not recovering close to what they want . So why even float the idea of even more hunt's . Seems to me the DNR sure wants our $ but does not have much regard for the snowmobile community in general when they do things like this .. Vila county is already suffering enough by not having any ATV use allowed anywhere. But yet spent and is spending into the millions for paved bicycle paths all over the county the last 4/5 years . But they bring in almost zero revenue . Vila is on the map because of its long history of snowmobiling ( & fishing).. Yet they are not in my view (the dnr & county board ) doing much for the sport or revenue it generates for its own business and local people who rely so heavily on this seasonal income ..

whitedust

Talked to some people from Conover, who went to the Meeting last week at the Eagle River high school . And they did indeed ask for feed back on having a holiday hunt in Northern Wis over the holiday week .. From what he said the few snowmobilers and business that were there, and would be affected by this are very against even the idea being suggested . But some hunters and land owners from the area are for it in some respects .. Like I opened this post with , my bigger concern is why would the DNR even want to float the idea is beyond me . I am all for everyone sharing in out door activity's . But this would have untold economic impact in any or all areas if it happened this or any year . And from my understanding the deer heard at least by me ( Vila County /Conover area) is still in serious trouble and not recovering close to what they want . So why even float the idea of even more hunt's . Seems to me the DNR sure wants our $ but does not have much regard for the snowmobile community in general when they do things like this .. Vila county is already suffering enough by not having any ATV use allowed anywhere. But yet spent and is spending into the millions for paved bicycle paths all over the county the last 4/5 years . But they bring in almost zero revenue . Vila is on the map because of its long history of snowmobiling ( & fishing).. Yet they are not in my view (the dnr & county board ) doing much for the sport or revenue it generates for its own business and local people who rely so heavily on this seasonal income ..

DNR wants to widen all Vilas state owned trails to 16 feet & local biz supports snowmobiling big time thus the well groomed trails. Atv use is in Forest & Onieda so Vilas has to be feeling the squeeze but big buck anti-atv people reside in northwest side of Vilas ....Eagle River & east not so much & keep pushing the atv use issue. True the 17th is a very late opener for Vilas & few deer will be harvested in that time & don't need to be harvested since herd numbers are down. Vilas got thrown in the State wide December hunt & even the DNR admits this was not intended but happened anyway. We do need to keep an eye on the new Holiday Deer Hunt as we don't want it to be approved for a statewide hunt. As far as the DNR goes they are much more concerned about CWD spreading thru the herd than anything snowmobile related.