Vila County trails can't open till Dec 17th 2013 Due to Hunting

L

lenny

whitedust out of town until next week....hang in there....

that's right,,Canada!

- - - Updated - - -

Seems that some forget where they started and that they too once were a rookie, newbie or some other label. I for one am willing to replace wearable items to be able to ride early and late and am sure I am not alone. Not just a rookie or newbie that hogs the trail. Really sucks to label the less fortunate that are unable to afford a $10,000 sled but can still enjoy the sport with 20 year old equipment!

Never really seen a Turkey soar...

well said Greg

Attak man

This isn't anything new....they have had muzzle loader season for years up here (which follows the regular deer gun hunt)....Vilas has never opened December 1st....for one thing...Oneida County (Rhinelander, 3 Lakes, Sugar Camp, and Minocqua) won't open before then, and neither will Forest, Florence, Lincoln, or Langlade...so where are you gonna ride?? We have had early season snow before...that is true....BUT...you have to remember...unlike Michigan...most of our trails cross water....the ice hasn't always been safe by new years (over the past 5 years)...Ice is a key factor in northern Wisconsin....we all hope we have good ice and snow for that xmas to new years time frame...it's critical for the businesses....when we don't... they suffer. Just go to michigan...if you want early season riding....they usually have more snow, and very few lakes to cross.

pirate

I agree with the 1st opening date never happening . But pushing now till the 17th ?? Suppose there is a heavy dumping on the 8th , every county would open but Vila can't .. This and the fact the DNR wants to even consider feedback on a holiday state wide hunt and keep trails closed till Jan is the intent of my thread to be discussed .. And at least by me , ice is not a issue at all with 95% of the trails and not a factor in opening the trails ..

Pit Grunt

Ride !!!!!

Seems that some forget where they started and that they too once were a rookie, newbie or some other label. I for one am willing to replace wearable items to be able to ride early and late and am sure I am not alone. Not just a rookie or newbie that hogs the trail. Really sucks to label the less fortunate that are unable to afford a $10,000 sled but can still enjoy the sport with 20 year old equipment!

Never really seen a Turkey soar...

WE RIDE !!!!!! and RIDE !!!!!!! The 17th is to late if good snow and ice. The late start should be the 10th. Yes I will ride the U.P. But now it will be three weeks. Last year we rode all of DANE co on the 20th. If there is a holiday hunt there goes that ridable time.. There was no snow in northern WI last year..

Last edited:
F

fusion

Yeah Cooksend, we've talked, I respect your opinon, but when I go to sell a sled and the guy says, 'your Apex has rust on the suspension frame', I tell him I was riding in marginal conditions with gravel, sand and dirt, and he looks at me like I'm nuts for doing so. If conditions are good, you shouldn't be wearing out carbides, and hyfax, and I don't like wrenching during the season, so I look for the good only and leave the bad. I can always find other things to do if I can't ride, and that includes patronizing local establishments whether by car or sled. Bottom line, I understand people will be out there no matter what, I just don't participate when the frustration is greater than the potential enjoyment. I remember some crazy years in 96 and 97 when Iron County had 2 feet at Christmas, and I rode a Formula 3 -6 over mogul after mogul. Point is, years like that are rare, even for most of Iron County. Even if there is snow, sometimes they don't groom, and if they do, traffic is so great, groomers have no effect with marginal base and no cold. And as others mentioned, Vilas relies on good ice, as most trails cross lakes. I've had some darn questionable riding decisions going thru slush on 12/26 on Star lake, with no barrells out. I just don't think it's a huge deal if people dont ride until after the 17th. Just means they come two times during some other week. Heh listen, if everybody agreed all the time, there'd be no discussion and nothing interesting to read.

cooksend

Yeah Cooksend, we've talked, I respect your opinon, but when I go to sell a sled and the guy says, 'your Apex has rust on the suspension frame', I tell him I was riding in marginal conditions with gravel, sand and dirt, and he looks at me like I'm nuts for doing so. If conditions are good, you shouldn't be wearing out carbides, and hyfax, and I don't like wrenching during the season, so I look for the good only and leave the bad. I can always find other things to do if I can't ride, and that includes patronizing local establishments whether by car or sled. Bottom line, I understand people will be out there no matter what, I just don't participate when the frustration is greater than the potential enjoyment. I remember some crazy years in 96 and 97 when Iron County had 2 feet at Christmas, and I rode a Formula 3 -6 over mogul after mogul. Point is, years like that are rare, even for most of Iron County. Even if there is snow, sometimes they don't groom, and if they do, traffic is so great, groomers have no effect with marginal base and no cold. And as others mentioned, Vilas relies on good ice, as most trails cross lakes. I've had some darn questionable riding decisions going thru slush on 12/26 on Star lake, with no barrells out. I just don't think it's a huge deal if people dont ride until after the 17th. Just means they come two times during some other week. Heh listen, if everybody agreed all the time, there'd be no discussion and nothing interesting to read.

I think in the end the biggest argument comes down to economical benefits. If we happen to have early snows and people are willing to ride in those conditions (there choice, their sled) the impact of sledders coming to the area over hunters is obvious. Again no one blames you for waiting for killer condtions. Lord knows I don't ride the junk I use to ride. Greenhorns can be a bit tough to deal with at times. It is our job however to help them out and show them how to grow and enjoy the sport respectfully and responsibly or we loose now and later! We need newbies and rookies to become experienced snowmobilers as the industry just cant handle much more shrinkage! Bring them young and old, teach them and let the sport once again grow!

I do believe we have met. My apologies for not being able to put a face to you! Let me know next time we speak! Take care Fusion and Think Snow!

pirate

I'm curious Fusion , sounds like you have been riding for many years . Why then would you be riding on a lake with no orange barrels out in the 1st place ? & unless all my trail maps are incorrect and all the riding I do thru the Sawner / Starlake area is diff then yours , there is no trail that uses Star Lake other then maybe a club trail used to get to a establishment on the lake only ... And I was under the impression that hyfax & wear bars are there for that reason , to take the abuse and save the skis and skid . And even under the best conditions I go thru a few sets of wear bars a year with all the road and bridge crossings in Northern Wi..

MZEMS2

Oh Boy...don't throw this one off track. The thread is regarding the bogus additional hunting seasons in WI. Back on track.......If more sledders stay involved, it MIGHT sway some of the decision making in our wonderful DNR. Take a few minutes to take their survey about the extended hunts. Voice concerns about the difference in economic impact between the two sports. Attend meetings.....Just sayin'

hemi_newman

If they pull this crap in Sawyer or Washburn County, im going to ride no matter what...season is short enough..Trails used to open the 1st then due to hunting it was changed to the second week in dec now Jan 1st?Screw the dnr!They will be getting the finger everyday as i drive by there office.

durphee

MY thought is that if the extended date is allowed to be pushed back to the 17th, then what's next? This push back would make it easier for the other extended hunt over Christmas break, then what? If you allow things to start trending in that direction you don't know what other things will come into play. yeah i am that guy thinking "conspiracy theory" on this but I don't want businesses, my riding time and yours being pushed back if there is rideable conditions. All i know is that in 50 days I am ready to ride up by hemi_newman in hayward, let it snow!

renegade

Durphee hits it on the head! The last time the DNR held meetings regarding the hunts into December snowmobliers came to the meetings in droves and the DNR ignored. Now the same thing is happening, only there are more people against the holiday hunts. Cross country skiers, snoshoes, etc. The meetings have all been against the holiday hunts. At least that is what the papers are reporting about the meetings in Wausau and Eau Claire. Anybody heard about their areas? We will see what the DNR does with all this negative feedback.

whitedust

I think whitedust is on a cruise or something, he'd be all over this like stink on poo, especially the other Vilas Co thread on trail stickers. We should have a contest to see how long it takes for him to show up.....lol

Hey Lenny & Venturenorth Canada was aok for Toronto ....I'm not a city boy but had biz to take care of & saw lots of LES on the way.:) I'll look into Vilas opening date but sounds like it is not set yet. In past years WI DNR draws a north/south line HY64 or HYW 8 for late season special deer hunts & trails are open north of the line on average around December 15th. If we get a 12-15" of fallen snow no hunters going to slog thru the stuff anyway. Deer numbers not huge in Vilas anyway & the deer herd has been coming back but still stunned. IMO when the smoke clears trails will open no later than December 17th but not offical yet. I'll stay on top of opening date & post here.

L

lenny

If they pull this crap in Sawyer or Washburn County, im going to ride no matter what...season is short enough..Trails used to open the 1st then due to hunting it was changed to the second week in dec now Jan 1st?Screw the dnr!They will be getting the finger everyday as i drive by there office.

lol,, you sound like me from time to time ;)

groomerdriver

........and where the amateur comes in, is the idji-ots all over the trail coming at you on the wrong side, stopped in the middle of the trail looking at the chickadee, driving 15 MPH with 7 other schmoes on 20 yr old equipment........Yeah, the ones that ride once a year, between 12/24 and 1/1. .......to "soar with the turkeys".

You sir are a "turkey" and if anybody wonders why this sport is going downhill so quickly one only has to read garbage like this.
The ignorance and "holier than thou" attitude of some people.....God damm I could just effin' scream sometimes!!!

F

fusion

groomerdriver;339983 The ignorance and "holier than thou" attitude of some people.....God damm I could just effin' scream sometimes!!![/QUOTE said:
I suggest prozac or valium for the emotional state of frustration....or one could just relieve some pressure and blow it out the !$# .
As I said, jmeo - my comments here arent' going to change things, any more than yours. Lighten up

whitedust

We need the early sledders to ride in in the trails & they enjoy it & we get the benes from their efforts. Who cares if they want to burn up carbides & hyfax their dough? I have ridden Vilas trails 1st week of Dec in 2004 no problem must have been 12-15 inches of snow between Thanksgiving & December 1. Eagle River groomers do wonders with 6" of snow just pan it in for pancake flat trails. December 17th is a very late opener but Paulding or Greenland would be calling me if conditions are good in UP. To me it would be ideal to have early Vilas wet snow, a cold snap then a bit of freezing rain to drive the ice base in then let it snow from there. It's all good no matter what the opener date is we will be riding somewhere.:)

Banjo Man

Well said WD, we all ride when we can and try to make the most of it. I have been coming up Christmas week for the better part of 20 years Most years marginal some years very marginal but it all was based around the fact that school was closed during that period.

catalac

You sir are a "turkey" and if anybody wonders why this sport is going downhill so quickly one only has to read garbage like this.
The ignorance and "holier than thou" attitude of some people.....God damm I could just effin' scream sometimes!!!
LIKE Button !

groomerdriver

I suggest prozac or valium for the emotional state of frustration....or one could just relieve some pressure and blow it out the !$# .
As I said, jmeo - my comments here arent' going to change things, any more than yours. Lighten up

I could suggest some things to you but I'll take a road you've never been on.....the high road.