Vilas or Bayfield?

SledTL

Have reservations in Boulder Junction and Iron River. Been seeing great reports out of Iron River, but so so out of Boulder and Vilas area. Would prefer to go to Vilas area but want to make sure that trails are white. Had to hose my sled off last year and don't want to ride on dirt again if I don't need to. Did the snow the other day improve things enough to make it worth it? Was waiting until after weekend traffic to decide which to cancel. Thanks guys!

pclark

When are you coming? It can change quite rapidly this time of year, sun is higher in the sky, more melting power. Trails nice during the week, you know the deal on weekends.

Currently in Vilas, I live 10 miles west of BJ in MW, today 2/13 its awesome and cold, nice and white. maybe a little snirty at road crossings and most of Vilas is the same. going to be 33 on Wednesday and then cold again so looks good through the 20th. Winter Rendevous at Groomer Barn by the airport in MW on Saturday 2/10. More snow next Friday.

hemi_newman

Bayfield County should be good to go. Just stay away from the town of Bayfield as they are not snowmobile friendly. The trails here in Hayward look great with that fresh 5” we got Thursday night.

SledTL

When are you coming? It can change quite rapidly this time of year, sun is higher in the sky, more melting power. Trails nice during the week, you know the deal on weekends.

Currently in Vilas, I live 10 miles west of BJ in MW, today 2/13 its awesome and cold, nice and white. maybe a little snirty at road crossings and most of Vilas is the same. going to be 33 on Wednesday and then cold again so looks good through the 20th. Winter Rendevous at Groomer Barn by the airport in MW on Saturday 2/10. More snow next Friday.
Should have put this upcoming weekend. I am thinking we will be fine with the weather from what I am seeing, was more concerned about the ability of the recent snow to hold up to a weekend of traffic. I know it can change rapidly so thats why I wanted to hear how they did.

pclark

Should have put this upcoming weekend. I am thinking we will be fine with the weather from what I am seeing, was more concerned about the ability of the recent snow to hold up to a weekend of traffic. I know it can change rapidly so thats why I wanted to hear how they did.
I'll post during the week sometime but it's been pretty consistent this winter so far.

goofy600

I will say Vilas trails will hold up another week or two but probably the biggest difference is there is going to be a lot more traffic in Vilas than Iron River area. Some areas of Vilas are going to be better than others because of the quality of the job the clubs do grooming. As for having to give your sled a bath when you get home, I don’t feel that will be an issue in Vilas as temps will be cold enough. Really comes down to what you want. Hope this helps and this is president day weekend which is almost always a busy weekend which will take its toll on the trails especially in the busy areas.

pclark

I will say Vilas trails will hold up another week or two but probably the biggest difference is there is going to be a lot more traffic in Vilas than Iron River area. Some areas of Vilas are going to be better than others because of the quality of the job the clubs do grooming. As for having to give your sled a bath when you get home, I don’t feel that will be an issue in Vilas as temps will be cold enough. Really comes down to what you want. Hope this helps and this is president day weekend which is almost always a busy weekend which will take its toll on the trails especially in the busy areas.
Very correct on the traffic, try to ride during the week if possible in Vilas, on the weekend maybe head NW to Iron, Price, Bayfield, Saxon Harbor where the traffic is less. That is what we used to do before being able to ride during the week. I am spoiled now, but it took many years to get to this point. I'll enjoy it while I can. To be honest, I don't even ride on weekends anymore, but trails are still pretty good regardless.

LoveMyDobe

If you are coming to Iron River WI area this weekend its the Annual Bar Stool races in Drummond so that will be a high traffic area . Also this Saturday is the Sled dog races in Iron River which there probably be a short reroute on the Corridor west of town. Trails north of IR are the best.

MKW

We rode out of St Germain last Tuesday morning was horrible until north to where Snow Eagles take over was great the rest of the way to da border . Rode back in from being in the UP on Friday late morning. Was the worst I’ve ever seen it in St Germain area 3-4’ mogels coming in from the east on Trl 70. Heading west along high lines looked like a Supercross track! Feel sorry for the people that have to ride the weekend. They must have a groomer down out of St Germain.

pclark

Just got back from a ride today that took us from Manitowish Waters north and east of Trail 17 (The Grade) Had the pleasure of riding with Jerry, Dan, and Steve who I happened to meet right here on JD site. Leaving MW the trails are snirty but smooth as noted in picture. About a mile outside town, nice and white on 19A north on up Trail 8 and 8A over to Pine Lake and had a drink at Pine Lake Supper Club which is now open again. It had been closed for 3 years I guess (Hadn't been there in awhile obviously) hopped back on and hit trails east of 17 and they were perfect as well. Came back down towards MW and rode over to Winchester and back home. Bottom line is if you want nice trails stay away from the bars and the towns and you will find them. We had a high of 27 today, no snow loss, it will be cold the rest of the week with 2"-4" of snow on Friday, possible more next week. Groomers doing great job with what they have! Get out while you can and enjoy the trails.

1645051124857.png
1645051167852.png

SledTL

Really appreciate the pictures!!! Makes me feel better that things will be decent away from towns.

pclark

Really appreciate the pictures!!! Makes me feel better that things will be decent away from towns.
Even the grade 17 was nice north of Mercer, don't know about south of Mercer as we were only on it for a short while. Even today with a high of 10, the sun was still melting a little when I was down in Minocqua. Still calling for 2-4" starting late morning on Friday so that will help but we really could use a good old fashioned dump of 10" with some moisture in it. Groomers doing an awesome job with what they have.

rph130

Snow just starting to fly in Presque Isle at 11:00. Barely above zero. Hit the trails yesterday before all of the weekend warriors get up here and grab a handful of throttle. Presque Isle trails excellent except for a short stretch of 6W where they are logging near Carlin Club. Not pretty seeing an 18 wheeler coming at you on the trail. Manitowish Waters trails very nice. Did a big loop on 19 around Mercer. Very nice and off the beaten path. Wolfs Den at Great Northern was not mobbed which was a pleasant surprise. Presque Isle Snow Bunnies has a raffle/fund raiser event Saturday at PI Pub. Manitowish Waters has the annual winter rendezvous on Saturday at the groomer barn by the airport. Expect a lot of traffic around town.