Watersmeet Trail Report UP Thunder Riders Snowmobile Club

mrsrunningbear

Watersmeet Trail system has been groomed, it is in surprisingly good condition for early season and only 1 good snowstorm. The snow came down along the border pretty good 10-12 inches reported. The groomers will be running as needed until we build a better base and receive more snow.
The word is more snow is on the way for tomorrow and Saturday, should be a good weekend to ride!
U.P. Thunder Rider's manage the trails below - 72 miles
Trail 3 - Wisconsin (Land O'Lakes) Border to Watersmeet MI
Trail 3 North - east of watersmeet sharing Trail 2 then Trail 3 heads to Bond Falls, Paulding, Bruce Crossing
Trail 2 East of Watersmeet to Trail 107
Trail 2 West of Watersmeet to Trail 1

Attachments

• Thunder Riders First Run 2022.jpg
    Thunder Riders First Run 2022.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 40

indy_500

I tell you what guys, rode from Running Bears place in Paulding up to Greenland/Mass City and back yesterday. Everything from Paulding up to the T intersection to take 3 to Mass, or 13 to Greenland or Rockland was EXCELLENT. I would rate it an 8/10 which is fantastic for early season. 3 going into Mass was horrific, mud hole after mud hole with nothing but whoops. 13 to Greenland was much dryer, but nothing but whoops as well. Both those trails I don’t think have been panned yet, due to it being too wet yet for the groomers. If I were trying to squeeze in a ride before the warmup, I would stay south (watersmeet to Bruce crossing) and head east from there.

I tell you what guys, rode from Running Bears place in Paulding up to Greenland/Mass City and back yesterday. Everything from Paulding up to the T intersection to take 3 to Mass, or 13 to Greenland or Rockland was EXCELLENT. I would rate it an 8/10 which is fantastic for early season. 3 going into Mass was horrific, mud hole after mud hole with nothing but whoops. 13 to Greenland was much dryer, but nothing but whoops as well. Both those trails I don’t think have been panned yet, due to it being too wet yet for the groomers. If I were trying to squeeze in a ride before the warmup, I would stay south (watersmeet to Bruce crossing) and head east from there.
So myself and two other guys are going up tomorrow morning to ride for a few days and come home Wednesday when it warms up. Sounds like we should stay around Watersmeet. Hopefully we can put a few miles on. Was hoping some counties in northern Wisconsin would open tomorrow. Some riding is better than no riding.

goofy600

So myself and two other guys are going up tomorrow morning to ride for a few days and come home Wednesday when it warms up. Sounds like we should stay around Watersmeet. Hopefully we can put a few miles on. Was hoping some counties in northern Wisconsin would open tomorrow. Some riding is better than no riding.
I don’t want so say you shouldn’t come up but remember it is early season and next week’s temperatures are all above freezing during day, so don’t know how well things will hold up like late season trails hold up to a 40 degree day. Early morning and late day things may firm up but day time would probably tear up trails fast with very little base in trails.

I don’t want so say you shouldn’t come up but remember it is early season and next week’s temperatures are all above freezing during day, so don’t know how well things will hold up like late season trails hold up to a 40 degree day. Early morning and late day things may firm up but day time would probably tear up trails fast with very little base in trails.
Totally understand, I go every year around this time so I know what I may find. Hopefully it’s cloudy the next two days and the temps shouldn’t do too much harm. Wednesday’s warm up and possible rain will hurt.

whitedust

Totally understand, I go every year around this time so I know what I may find. Hopefully it’s cloudy the next two days and the temps shouldn’t do too much harm. Wednesday’s warm up and possible rain will hurt.
Sounds like scratcher time when sets up to totally enjoy your time on trail. Remember it’s wet out there.

goofy600

UP Thunder Riders (Watersmeet area) were out yesterday and panned everything areas which had a lot of sun are really thin other areas ok, really need the snow to come. Also if you get out watch out for trees down we have some areas that every time the wind blows some come down, my son and I spend 2 hours cleaning trail 13 between Cisco lake and trail 2 last night and this morning.

just_ride

goofy
how's the trails in that area.....not seeing any current updates in reporting, how were they before the snow today
much appreciated

goofy600

goofy
how's the trails in that area.....not seeing any current updates in reporting, how were they before the snow today
much appreciated
Have now been out in a week but was told grade had lots of rocks and very thin in spots and rough as of last Saturday we just didn’t have much to work with. We did go out Saturday night just to try to flatten out and we went out yesterday (Tuesday) and best I can tell about 3” with this new snow today. Don’t know when I will be getting out because of the covid right now so this is best I got for ya.

Last edited:

goofy600

Just as an FYI UP thunder riders is now on the Groomer Tracker app. I know this app has been talked about on JD before big thing I would like to remind everyone about is for every club you purchase half go as donation to club. Granted not all clubs are involved with the app but there are 7 clubs in western UP and 3 in northern Wis. Just a thought if you ride some of these areas and another way to donate to club and get a little back. I’m tracking one of ours now and they are on there way to Lando now.

just_ride

Have now been out in a week but was told grade had lots of rocks and very thin in spots and rough as of last Saturday we just didn’t have much to work with. We did go out Saturday night just to try to flatten out and we went out yesterday (Tuesday) and best I can tell about 3” with this new snow today. Don’t know when I will be getting out because of the big C right now so this is best I got for ya.
thanks for the update.....grade still has rocks,
get well and get back out there

euphoric1

Have now been out in a week but was told grade had lots of rocks and very thin in spots and rough as of last Saturday we just didn’t have much to work with. We did go out Saturday night just to try to flatten out and we went out yesterday (Tuesday) and best I can tell about 3” with this new snow today. Don’t know when I will be getting out because of the big C right now so this is best I got for ya.
Jim, Hopes for you for a speedy and full recovery! Take care!

D

Deleted member 10829

Just as an FYI UP thunder riders is now on the Groomer Tracker app. I know this app has been talked about on JD before big thing I would like to remind everyone about is for every club you purchase half go as donation to club. Granted not all clubs are involved with the app but there are 7 clubs in western UP and 3 in northern Wis. Just a thought if you ride some of these areas and another way to donate to club and get a little back. I’m tracking one of ours now and they are on there way to Lando now.
I put those in our tractors 2 years ago and love it! For me, I can track my groomers and know when they make it back safe and sound. Check them out if you haven't already.

www.groomertracker.com

goofy600

Watersmeet groomers have been out daily but we have had pretty heavy traffic lately. Sunday when I was out grooming counted over 180 sleds on the the west run and north/ south driver counted over 135. Even Monday and Tuesday seemed heavy traffic for weekdays. I did get a 100 mile ride to Bruce Crossing yesterday using trails 13 to 2 to 3 up and back passed both groomers so trails were nice. I will state that old railroad grades have some thin spots both in Watersmeet area and Bruce Crossing area.