Western Riders

Seen on FB a group of 4 riders have been missing since Saturday or Sunday in the snowys. Anyone been following it? Sounds like they located them last night and that they had a fire goin.

snoluver1

Capture+_2018-12-26-20-35-37.jpg

An amazing success story to say the least. A true testament to the snowmobile community coming together! These guys are very lucky!

maddogg

Glad they are OK. Does anyone know the story or what happened? Bunch of rumors on fakebook and stuff about leaving their sleds till spring.

thebreeze

The exact details have not yet been released. The somehow ended up in the bottom of a very large, and unforgiving drainage on the north side of the snowies. I assume they made a naviagtion error, and ended up going down something that they could not make it back up, and riding out the bottom to low elevation was not possible due to fuel shortage, and unpassable terrain. This is all speculation, but from knowing the area, and details that are out, this is the only scenario that makes any sense. Either way, its great they made it out un-injured. I think the biggest learning point from this event, is get yourself some type of satellite messenger, PLB, etc. It took over 3 days just for them to be located. If they had a spot, etc, they would have likely been rescued by Sunday night/Monday morning.

brad460

Glad they are OK. Does anyone know the story or what happened? Bunch of rumors on fakebook and stuff about leaving their sleds till spring.

That’s always the rumor..especially if they get into a wilderness off limits area. Happened to a few guys in Cooke City when I was out there. They got lost and down into a large ravine due to a snow storm. Supposedly once a sled goes into the wilderness area it either must be “hand carried” out or backpacked on a horse in the spring (point is you can not operate a snowmobile in the off-limits area). However, one designated person from the rescue team was allowed to drive each sled out of the wilderness area.. at a steep cost!

thebreeze

They were not in a wilderness area. Seems like they managed to drop in to a place that you cant ride out from given the current, and possibly future conditions. The rescuers, which included many locals that know the area like the back of their hand, were only able to get within 1 mile of the stranded party. The final 1 mile needed to be done on snowshoe, which is very telling to the level of difficulty posed in this specific area.

srt20

WTH, were they down in French Creek? Happens every year.....

EDIT; I read on SW where they were. Pretty knarly. I think we've been back towards that way, but obviously not that far back. Glad they are safe. Maybe they will even be able to get their sleds next summer.

Last edited:

snomoman

I always get nervous whenever I go off trail. Really don't have any ambition to. I have the thought
of having to wrestle that 500 pound plus machine back to a rideable surface. Too friggen old for that,
already done it too many times already. Wrestle or ride, wrestle or ride, I think I'll ride

bonnevier

WTH, were they down in French Creek? Happens every year.....

EDIT; I read on SW where they were. Pretty knarly. I think we've been back towards that way, but obviously not that far back. Glad they are safe. Maybe they will even be able to get their sleds next summer.

You should hear about the time Tracker went down there...one handed...no helmet...no coat...no problem!