Western Riding Areas Threatened for Closing

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have already posted this in the Misc section, but figured the western area would be good too.

I got a note from the folks at Togwotee that efforts are afoot to try and close more areas out west to motorized recreational activity. Some of the areas are favorites to those going to the Togwottee-Dubois area like Two Oceans, Brooks Lake and Togwotee Pass. Below is a letter that you can cut and paste and e mail to: [FONT=&quot]shoshone_forestplan@fs.fed.us[/FONT]

Please take the time to send this letter off to the Shoshone National Forest Planners. It only takes a minute of your time, but we have to SPEAK UP in matters like this, or those with the power to make the decisions will think we do not care. Even if you have not been to these areas yet, it is important to let your voice be heard as they are areas you could very well go to in the future.

Thanks!

-John

Dear Shoshone National Forest Planners,

• I am a snowmobiler and continued snowmobiling access on the Shoshone National Forest is extremely important to me.
• I support Alternative B as long as it continues to keep all existing snowmobile trails open, as well as access open to all existing off-trail snowmobiling areas across the forest.
• I am very opposed to closing Two Ocean Mountain to snowmobiles to make it into an exclusive use, nonmotorized area. It should remain open for multiple winter recreation uses.
• I am very opposed to closing any areas currently open to snowmobiling in the Togwotee Pass and Brooks Lake areas. All areas currently open to snowmobiles should remain open for multiple winter uses.
• Since over 80% of the Shoshone National Forest is already designated as Wilderness or as open to only nonmotorized uses, I am opposed to establishing any more. Enough is enough and preference should be given to motorized recreation on the remaining 20% of the forest!
• Snowmobiling should continue to be allowed in the High Lakes Wilderness Study Area in the Beartooths since it is expressly permitted by law.
• Snowmobiling should be allowed to continue in all Inventoried Roadless Areas.
• Designated snowmobile trail routes should continue to be provided through all existing wildlife winter range areas. If new winter range areas are established, designated snowmobile trails should be provided through the new areas whenever new winter range would cut off access to open snowmobiling areas beyond the newly created winter range.

Thank you

snoluver1

Letter sent. Hopfuly it does some good. Those that are against motorized recreation will not rest until every last piece of land is locked up.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Letter sent. Hopfuly it does some good. Those that are against motorized recreation will not rest until every last piece of land is locked up.

Thanks. It will do good. You are right about those against motorized recreation trying to close off as much as they can. Usually it is just a few that make a loud noise. That is why we need to use our numbers to make more noise. These letters do work and have an impact, they have worked in other instances. There are over 100,000 different folks that visit this site with over 16,000 members on this board. I see no reason not to send the letter off.

It's time motorized recreation starts to stand up and fight for things, or they will be gone forever.

Do it folks. If I though that it were any kind of a waste of time, I would not have put it on the board.

-John

snoluver1

Agree 100%. Even if you have never ridden out west and have no plans to, send the letter! These battles set a precedent. National forests are everywhere and your favorite one could very well be next on the chopping block! !

ridehard

Sent Email today. I don't get it. This land is every bodies land to use why do they keep attacking us. Stand up for your rights and send a letter, your favorite riding area may be next on the hit list. Whether it is in Wyoming Idaho Montana Minnesota Michigan or Wisconsin these people don't want us on any public land.

doospunk

Sent Email today. I don't get it. This land is every bodies land to use why do they keep attacking us. Stand up for your rights and send a letter, your favorite riding area may be next on the hit list. Whether it is in Wyoming Idaho Montana Minnesota Michigan or Wisconsin these people don't want us on any public land.

Eric- your first sentence is exactly what I stated in my last comment on the letter I sent. "This land is for "all" to use", and the way we use it should not be dictated by the few, so long as we are responsible stewards of the land, and assist to care for, and sustain its integrity through respectful use.

Firecatguy

Glad this is making a sticky and John glad you got the forum on board as this will generate alot letters. This comes up every fall and if I have this straight its the same cpl from Dubois who push for this and 3 years back the judge threw it out as they want to make a wilderness area out of 3 ocean area and yet want to use a sled trail to access it and the judge found that funny enuff to throw them out of the courtroom the sad thing is they file every fall and they do get backing of greenie clubs. I will have Carter chime in on this as he has alot first hand info on this.........the letters are going to make huge diffrence.

letter sent....

cooksend

Sent... Even if you are not a western rider you should send this out. The more area's they close nationwide the more power they gain! All the work is done! Copy and paste is all you need to do! If you read this on this or any forum you should take the same amount of time to send the email...