What amount of miles on a sled scare you?

snobuilder

Yes, been trying to sell a couple sleds..... and I guess if I was the buyer, I'd think they were "high mile" units.
But with ever increasing MSRP on new stuff, it would seem that used price should follow.

I can see 10,000 miles on the pre 2003 ish models as high , but the newer sleds have alot more tech built in.
Back in the day a 100,000 mile car was toast....now 200,000 mile is common.
The other train a thought might be that a high mile rider does more routine maintenance to keep their sleds reliable.

What is the line you guys draw when looking at a used sled purchase? And are their other factors that you consider as well?

indy_500

It really depends on my intention with the sled. But I tend to shy away from 2 strokes with over 5k miles. At that point, you need driveline bearings, rear skid attention, and possibly a new track already. Steering starts getting sloppy, clutches need attention, and we haven’t gotten to the fact that some 2s could pop anytime after that. But again, really depends on my intentions with the sled…

old abe

Idk? I have 3 over 10K, and one right at 10K that we are still riding regularly. We buy em, to use them as they're well cared for. That is when we get snow.:ROFLMAO:

heckler56

Of the people buying used sleds, what is their knowledge of sleds? You bring up a good point about a mfg date as a “line in the sand” which is where I kind of go also. But for me having followed sleds for a long time brands, model years, motors (2 stroke vs 4), original owner (and my perception of their maintenance) all factor in if I were buying.

I have been riding 4 strokes for 12 years and could not go back to a 2 stroke because my brain is hard wired like Indy brings up. Too low miles on a 2 stroke and I worry seals would be shot.

My riding buddy has 3 four strokes all at or above 20k miles. But he tears his sleds down after one trip on a unit. Now that he is retired a local shop refers all “older sleds” to him to be wrenched on. I would buy a used sled from him if I was interested in a used sled. If it were a 4 stroke I do not care about the miles, 2 stroke, miles and age absolutely play a factor.

longtrack

up to 10,000 miles no issues. over 10,000 some problems start. 5000 if it's a 2 stroke.

We have a couple 4-year-old 900 4 strokes. Now we are replacing some Wheel bearings, Spark plugs and Gas Filters.

I have no idea how long a 4 stroke will go, we never had one fail.

whitedust

I don’t mess with 2 s since 2006 only 4s. I usually buy low mile used 4s up to about 1,600 miles. Cream pies are out there with folks that just didn’t like 4s went back to 2s and get good buck on used market with their 4s cherries. I don’t look at high milers , shocks probably haven’t been rebuilt , bearings are shot and track is on the way out not to mention hyfax , carbides , skis could be worn too , seat foam have dips steering bushings shot as well and who knows about stators. I keep my sleds take good care of them not a guy who uses a year buys another. Also I wouldn’t consider any sled that isn’t current rider forward at any price.

euphoric1

depends on if I knew who owned it, I had over 10,000 miles on a notoriously bad motor 800cc suzuki triple 1995 and would have felt comfortable selling to anyone. Close to 10,000 miles on a 2000 polaris 600 motor and the same, but seeing how some people ride I wouldnt but regardless of the miles, and that's probably more the fear is on mileage.... what kind of miles were they? same goes for anything, and im not so sure a 2 stroke chassis is any more proned to bearing, bushing, track or suspension issues any more than a 4 stroke is, I generally keep my sleds long so ususally end up with high mileage but.... I know what i have with them.

pclark

I sold my Polaris 2001 600 Classic with 17,000 miles on it back in 2020. When I sold it it I had replaced or rebuilt all shocks, clutch, 2 new tracks, and various other parts. I was moving then and two major things needed to be done to make it nice again, reverse needed a rebuild and upper suspension frame needed replacement as it completely snapped due to old age, A guy bought it from me for $850 and I was happy with that as the sled owed me nothing. The 600 Liberty engine was still running smooth as ever and i think it had at least another 5-10K miles in it. The sled still looked awesome but I was liquidating everything so we could make the move into a smaller place. Also sold a 2020 Yamaha VMAX in great shape for $1400, probably could have gotten more if it was a year or so later but was just glad to not have to move them.

1677509375381.png
1677509570676.png
1677509593619.png

goofy600

I know dealers really shy away after that 5-6k mark for trades, especially on 2s. My thought is how are you planning on using it and how handy are you at maintenance repairs. If I’m buying for a backup or an ice fishing sled would make a big difference. Engine size also in my mine would change how I look at a sled also the owner buying from. I don’t think I would ever buy a sled with an 850 form a 20 something (no offense Indy) but my thought it would be beat way more than from a 50-60 something.

picbn

I have a 2019 MXZ Blizzard 600R etec that I bought new,that just turned 6,000 miles and it's been awesome. All I've ever done to it is one new belt, one new set of plugs, one new set of carbides, change chain case oil each year, grease annually and general cleaning/maintenance. Still has original sliders. Runs like the day I bought it.

I still have my prior sled, 2006 MXZ 500SS 600 carb bought new, as a back-up/guest that has almost 9500 miles on it. It sill runs great with nothing major ever done to it.

If you take care of them, keep them in a garage, summerize them properly, run good gas/oil, and ride in good snow they'll last a long time.

I have a 2019 MXZ Blizzard 600R etec that I bought new,that just turned 6,000 miles and it's been awesome. All I've ever done to it is one new belt, one new set of plugs, one new set of carbides, change chain case oil each year, grease annually and general cleaning/maintenance. Still has original sliders. Runs like the day I bought it.

I still have my prior sled, 2006 MXZ 500SS 600 carb bought new, as a back-up/guest that has almost 9500 miles on it. It sill runs great with nothing major ever done to it.

If you take care of them, keep them in a garage, summerize them properly, run good gas/oil, and ride in good snow they'll last a long time.
Picbn, could not agree more. I have a 2019 600R with similar miles and same result. Also my back up is a 2015 600 carb and had awesome luck with that too. I am not afraid of miles if it's properly maintained.

Hoosier

All depends on maintenance and if you can get a feel for that from the actual owner. You can take the most expensive one from your preferred brand and drive it in shitty conditions, move it around on an open trailer, and/or not warm it up properly, and you'll have issues before too long.

indy_500

I think some of youse may be confusing the point of this thread. From what I’m reading, many of you own or have owned high mile sleds since new or close to new, and it doesn’t bother you because you all do a great job maintaining it.

From the sounds of it, SB is having issues selling some sleds with higher miles, and is asking us, if we were a BUYER, not an OWNER, how many miles would scare us. Keep in mind 95% of the time, as a buyer, we do not know the seller personally, and how he/she maintained the sled, and it can be a crapshoot.

snobuilder

I think some of youse may be confusing the point of this thread. From what I’m reading, many of you own or have owned high mile sleds since new or close to new, and it doesn’t bother you because you all do a great job maintaining it.

From the sounds of it, SB is having issues selling some sleds with higher miles, and is asking us, if we were a BUYER, not an OWNER, how many miles would scare us. Keep in mind 95% of the time, as a buyer, we do not know the seller personally, and how he/she maintained the sled, and it can be a crapshoot.
Right on Indy. Just a little frustrated ....mostly with myself and a little with the market. The 2 stroke has around 9400 miles but I did a proper rebuild investment on it @ 8200 miles. Tried and true for 1200 miles. But again. I also shy away from "rebuilts"...LOL...but what option is there with a 2 stroke? I guess ppl feel better if someone slaps a $100 used low mile speedo on a sled.

indy_500

Just throwing out my 2 cents again in a different way, may be slightly off topic but still pertains to the discussion. In my experience there is no financial benefit to keeping most any snowmobile past 5k miles. The resale plummets and you start having to stick cash into it. It adds up quick, especially to upgrade/repair/maintain things the right way. Not to mention you always have that thought in the back of your head when something else is going to fail once you start to hit higher miles.

I’ve owned 19 snowmobiles, repaired everything from bottom end crank seals to full clutch rebuilds, have done at least a dozen top ends and probably have had over 40 tracks off of sleds between my personal ones, families, and friends sleds. We all know very well, that when a track comes off, it makes sense to replace the driveline bearings. Then we take a good look at the skid, and start throwing bogey bearings at it, then we send the shocks out for a rebuild. Before you know it, the $600 track turned into a $1200 project.

For example, a used 2-3 yr old Skidoo Renegade 850 with 4K or less miles goes for ~$10k depending on the model. Purchase price was likely $12-14k, model depending. The snowmobile has low enough miles, you haven’t likely stuck a dime into it. So in that amount of time, a max of $4k was lost and no cash stuck in the sled. You now have $10k from your sale to drop onto the next one, which will be the latest and greatest sled on the market. Now let’s say you kept that sled another 2-3 years and it now has 7-8k miles on it. You can barely give it away at $5-6k. You are now at $8k depreciation, not including the maintenance you’ve had to do to it, driving a machine that could fail at any given moment, and not enjoying the latest and greatest sled. You have likely bought three $250 belts at this point, replaced a $750 track, drive bearings, bogey bearings, a clutch rebuild, shock rebuild, you have now stuck $2000-2500 in parts into it and that’s if you can repair it all yourself and not pay $150/hr dealer labor. You have now lost at least $10k on it by the time you hope you can find someone to buy it, and don’t have a huge chunk of change to throw down on the next new sled.

This is my mindset when it comes to snowmobiles, and I carry a similar mindset with vehicles. This has allowed me to own a lot of nicer newer things on blue collar pay at a fairly young age.

I have seen so many sledders, go all out buying a new sled, ride it till the wheels fall off, and then get out of snowmobiling because they realized how upside down they are, and can’t afford another one, and are forced to get out of the sport because the $14k snowmobile they financed at 6% interest is now worth $3k with 8k miles after sticking a few grand into it to make it rideable again, and they have no money left to put down on the next new one to make it affordable…

I just had a mutual friend message me 2 weeks ago looking for advice on how to fix his sled. 17 XCR 800 with 9k miles. He had no clue drive bearings go out with high miles. After his bearings disintegrated into pieces and wrecked his entire chaincase and gears, jackshaft, and driveshaft, he now has a paperweight that he paid a lot of money for 5 years ago. He wasn’t aware Polaris used Lords adhesive to attach the chaincase to the chassis/tunnel, and couldn’t figure out how to remove the case. Likely will struggle to afford to repair it, let alone have any money left for a new one. Missed this entire riding season because of it, and wouldn’t be surprised if he ever buys another sled again.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Probably a different story if you are riding the hell out of them like that. Both age and miles takes resale off. Your example of a 17 with 9k on it - yeah you're going to lose your azz on that if you are putting 2500-3000 on a year bought new. Probably had a 3 or 4 year warranty on it - warranty will help with young sled with high miles. Maybe sell it before that's out.

The bearings poo uses don't typically go that long...they aren't much $ to change though.

Good point on thinking things through like that. I've seen it a lot too where someone runs something till the wheels fall off, without setting money aside in the meantime, and then doesn't have the means to upgrade.

I have an 18 with 7k on it now. 5th season on it and will hopefully get out once more so will have 8k at end of season. I'm probably past the point in your example but it hasn't cost me anything other than a shock rebuild and skid bearings (like you said, I had the skid out so I did the skid bearings then). Will do drivetrain bearings in offseason. Another $100 maybe.

The other examples in this thread are older sleds with high miles. It doesn't pay to upgrade so often if you have 10k on a 05 or 09...

Hoosier

I sold my Polaris 2001 600 Classic with 17,000 miles on it back in 2020. When I sold it it I had replaced or rebuilt all shocks, clutch, 2 new tracks, and various other parts. I was moving then and two major things needed to be done to make it nice again, reverse needed a rebuild and upper suspension frame needed replacement as it completely snapped due to old age, A guy bought it from me for $850 and I was happy with that as the sled owed me nothing. The 600 Liberty engine was still running smooth as ever and i think it had at least another 5-10K miles in it. The sled still looked awesome but I was liquidating everything so we could make the move into a smaller place. Also sold a 2020 Yamaha VMAX in great shape for $1400, probably could have gotten more if it was a year or so later but was just glad to not have to move them.

View attachment 68054
View attachment 68055
View attachment 68056
When my fusion started breaking skid parts I knew it was time to let it go. About 11k on it by then.

That's a nice vmax. Would love to find one for my kids like that.

I know yamaha has gotten behind but is that really a 2020? haha

eagle1

Just throwing out my 2 cents again in a different way, may be slightly off topic but still pertains to the discussion. In my experience there is no financial benefit to keeping most any snowmobile past 5k miles. The resale plummets and you start having to stick cash into it. It adds up quick, especially to upgrade/repair/maintain things the right way. Not to mention you always have that thought in the back of your head when something else is going to fail once you start to hit higher miles.

I’ve owned 19 snowmobiles, repaired everything from bottom end crank seals to full clutch rebuilds, have done at least a dozen top ends and probably have had over 40 tracks off of sleds between my personal ones, families, and friends sleds. We all know very well, that when a track comes off, it makes sense to replace the driveline bearings. Then we take a good look at the skid, and start throwing bogey bearings at it, then we send the shocks out for a rebuild. Before you know it, the $600 track turned into a $1200 project.

For example, a used 2-3 yr old Skidoo Renegade 850 with 4K or less miles goes for ~$10k depending on the model. Purchase price was likely $12-14k, model depending. The snowmobile has low enough miles, you haven’t likely stuck a dime into it. So in that amount of time, a max of $4k was lost and no cash stuck in the sled. You now have $10k from your sale to drop onto the next one, which will be the latest and greatest sled on the market. Now let’s say you kept that sled another 2-3 years and it now has 7-8k miles on it. You can barely give it away at $5-6k. You are now at $8k depreciation, not including the maintenance you’ve had to do to it, driving a machine that could fail at any given moment, and not enjoying the latest and greatest sled. You have likely bought three $250 belts at this point, replaced a $750 track, drive bearings, bogey bearings, a clutch rebuild, shock rebuild, you have now stuck $2000-2500 in parts into it and that’s if you can repair it all yourself and not pay $150/hr dealer labor. You have now lost at least $10k on it by the time you hope you can find someone to buy it, and don’t have a huge chunk of change to throw down on the next new sled.

This is my mindset when it comes to snowmobiles, and I carry a similar mindset with vehicles. This has allowed me to own a lot of nicer newer things on blue collar pay at a fairly young age.

I have seen so many sledders, go all out buying a new sled, ride it till the wheels fall off, and then get out of snowmobiling because they realized how upside down they are, and can’t afford another one, and are forced to get out of the sport because the $14k snowmobile they financed at 6% interest is now worth $3k with 8k miles after sticking a few grand into it to make it rideable again, and they have no money left to put down on the next new one to make it affordable…

I just had a mutual friend message me 2 weeks ago looking for advice on how to fix his sled. 17 XCR 800 with 9k miles. He had no clue drive bearings go out with high miles. After his bearings disintegrated into pieces and wrecked his entire chaincase and gears, jackshaft, and driveshaft, he now has a paperweight that he paid a lot of money for 5 years ago. He wasn’t aware Polaris used Lords adhesive to attach the chaincase to the chassis/tunnel, and couldn’t figure out how to remove the case. Likely will struggle to afford to repair it, let alone have any money left for a new one. Missed this entire riding season because of it, and wouldn’t be surprised if he ever buys another sled again.
Dang it.....now i have to sell my sled.😂

pclark

When my fusion started breaking skid parts I knew it was time to let it go. About 11k on it by then.

That's a nice vmax. Would love to find one for my kids like that.

I know yamaha has gotten behind but is that really a 2020? haha
Yes, it was a 2020, just kidding, it was a 2000 and it only had a little over 3,000 miles on it when I sold it. I bought it for my daughter and it was a perfect sled for her. The 500 was quick and a great trail machine and it ran perfect and started all the time.