What amount of miles on a sled scare you?

heckler56

Indy and Hoosier, I had a interesting conversation earlier this month about ”bearings” while stopped on the trail. The gentleman would not devolged his company (bearings supplier) but said for many years now their auto mfg bearing rejects are gobbled up by Poo and Cat. This discussion came up as my mechanic buddy was telling how he was replacing bearings on those sleds constantly yet not on his personal high mile Yamahas.

The economics of owner a sled, or car, are always a gamble. Manufacturing quality and design changes might get you into a bad year if cycling through sleds ever few years, you just never know. In another post I commented about the amount of rental sleds. A reply from a long time rider was he prefers going rental after selling his sleds many years ago. Those economics can work also, no storage, no maintaince, no permits, no insurance, and easy on auto not towing. It gives him greater flexibility to go anywhere. Someday that might be my future.

Hoosier

Indy and Hoosier, I had a interesting conversation earlier this month about ”bearings” while stopped on the trail. The gentleman would not devolged his company (bearings supplier) but said for many years now their auto mfg bearing rejects are gobbled up by Poo and Cat. This discussion came up as my mechanic buddy was telling how he was replacing bearings on those sleds constantly yet not on his personal high mile Yamahas.

The economics of owner a sled, or car, are always a gamble. Manufacturing quality and design changes might get you into a bad year if cycling through sleds ever few years, you just never know. In another post I commented about the amount of rental sleds. A reply from a long time rider was he prefers going rental after selling his sleds many years ago. Those economics can work also, no storage, no maintaince, no permits, no insurance, and easy on auto not towing. It gives him greater flexibility to go anywhere. Someday that might be my future.

That's interesting about bearings. I happened to replace my skid bearings when I had the skid out to get the shocks rebuilt. I have a cat right now. Snowtech had a blurb about ski doo using quality bearings so I ordered those instead and they were the exact same bearings in my cat (nsk 6006 and 6004), although I've heard it's the driveshaft bearings that cat uses china-made peer bearings - haven't gotten into those yet.

Renting can be good economically if your whole group does that. Otherwise as a group you are still dealing with the same trailering, etc. I think you have much more flexibility owning the sled since you can adapt your plans last minute as to where the best snow is. And for me it takes some time to get the suspension set up etc, which is another reason I choose to own. Still I've thought about renting. I think I'd be riding west more often if I rented instead of owned.

Sorry for helping to steer this thread way off topic...

chunk06

I sold a 2016 Pro S 800 a few months ago with 5600 miles. I could tell the same sleds with under 5000, but close to that were getting more action. I was still happy with what I sold it for.

heckler56

That's interesting about bearings. I happened to replace my skid bearings when I had the skid out to get the shocks rebuilt. I have a cat right now. Snowtech had a blurb about ski doo using quality bearings so I ordered those instead and they were the exact same bearings in my cat (nsk 6006 and 6004), although I've heard it's the driveshaft bearings that cat uses china-made peer bearings - haven't gotten into those yet.
For me when given the chance to find a Timken bearing equivalent I use them.

garageguy

Whenever I redo drive bearings I get them at a bearing supplier. Never use dealer for bearings. You pay more but they will last.

yamadooed

Any miles with a Monster or Amsoil sticker is too many... Best to take those off and relist it Snowbuilt...