What happened to the weather channel?

indybru

I have direct tv and the weather channel is gone! What's the deal? I miss watching wake up with Stephane!

This has been on the Weather Channel for a few weeks at least. Long story short, direct tv and the Weather Channel must have some sort of contract dispute and Direct TV dropped them. I remember there was something between cable and the Big Ten Network dispute and it got ironed out.

The Weather Channel has a website to get it back.

srt20

Oh no! The biggest drama channel is gone?? Who is going to get the USA all up in arms now that Jim Cantore is not on DTV???

Hopefully they get it worked out. Nothing like see weather people struggling to hold themselves upright in 30 mph winds during storm coverage.

hemi_newman

All I watch it for is the good lookin weather gals is all..I do like the red button feature to look at the current temp and radar.

polarisrider1

Charter cable does not have weather on weather channel either. Charter added cool channel witch is Live Doppler and Noah. Then they give us on target weather network. Way more accurate then weather channel too.

Dave_B

Read an article the other day that TWC is owned by Comcast. Directv said No Way on the terms of carrying them so, no more "Weather Channel". As stated above, just another crappy reality TV channel now so, no big loss for me.

Cat600

From what cnn said, TWC wanted .01 from every customer that direct had, which could come out to an extra $300k. Direct came back with the channel is now 40 or 50% reality shows and not what is advertised anymore.

Basically a pissing match between both sides.

eao

Charter cable does not have weather on weather channel either. Charter added cool channel witch is Live Doppler and Noah. Then they give us on target weather network. Way more accurate then weather channel too.
We have it on our Charter Cable, have it on right now, ch. 7 and ch. 24-7.

Firecatguy

it was the news last week.......Cantori (sp) ?was trying to say that people will die without weather channel....really, he did say that!!!!

"As a result, DIRECTV recently launched WeatherNation—Ch 362—as an alternative to The Weather Channel to provide 24/7 hard news weather coverage. No reality programming, just real weather"

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that at one time TWC was able to convince the FCC that their programming was essential, by providing weather warnings to the general public. It was then allowed to force all the TV service providers to carry them and give them a percentage of the take.

Now days, if one of their reality shows are playing a weather warning happens, it does not even appear. So I think perhaps the renewal of the FCC directive did not happen and thus cable/satellite providers are able to have more control over things.

I used to enjoy their programming back around 20 years ago, but quite honestly did not get into the reality stuff at all and probably have not watched more than 60 second of their programming in many years. Do they even have forecasts any more?

-John

hemi_newman

I believe that at one time TWC was able to convince the FCC that their programming was essential, by providing weather warnings to the general public. It was then allowed to force all the TV service providers to carry them and give them a percentage of the take.

Now days, if one of their reality shows are playing a weather warning happens, it does not even appear. So I think perhaps the renewal of the FCC directive did not happen and thus cable/satellite providers are able to have more control over things.

I used to enjoy their programming back around 20 years ago, but quite honestly did not get into the reality stuff at all and probably have not watched more than 60 second of their programming in many years. Do they even have forecasts any more?
-John
When they did have forecasts,it was all about the East coast,they never say anything about the mountain community's out west. If New York gets 2" and we get 16" nothing would be mentioned about us and yet they would have a live report from New York.

xcr440

Actually forgotten the channel existed. Kinda hard switching to a "weather" channel, never to see the actual weather.

D

Deleted member 10829

I used to watch them quite a bit, but not at all in the past 7+ years.

whitedust

it was the news last week.......Cantori (sp) ?was trying to say that people will die without weather channel....really, he did say that!!!!

"As a result, DIRECTV recently launched WeatherNation—Ch 362—as an alternative to The Weather Channel to provide 24/7 hard news weather coverage. No reality programming, just real weather"

Weather Nation may be up & comer but no local interaction or fav cities via red button. Sucks IMO

I used to watch TWC RELIGIOUSLY! Especially in the winter. I would anxiously wait for the 7 day forecast. IMO, there are two things that have spelled the demise of TWC (even though I am quite certain that DirecTV will carry them again at some point....DirecTV tends to try and swing a big stick at times):

1) The Internet
2) John Dee :)

That being said, I see that Accuweather will be launching a new "TV" channel later this year.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweather-announces-the-laun/22055195

It will be interesting to see how they do their programming.

saber1

basically Direct TV wanted to pay TWC 20%less per viewer DT was trying to save some money TWC wouldnt budge so DT called their bluff and replaced them with weather nation.Graphics and interactive wise TWC is light yrs ahead of Weather nation so i guess you get what you pay for now if i can get Direct TV to pass on the savings

whitedust

basically Direct TV wanted to pay TWC 20%less per viewer DT was trying to save some money TWC wouldnt budge so DT called their bluff and replaced them with weather nation.Graphics and interactive wise TWC is light yrs ahead of Weather nation so i guess you get what you pay for now if i can get Direct TV to pass on the savings

Agree weather nation seems bush league....I'm not impressed...no T&A ...some UGLY people ...lol... no control button features.... pretty darn drab if you ask me.....not what I'm paying for & dtv will hear about it one of these days when I'm bored I'll give them a call. Weekend TV forecasts hard to come by up here in the WI northwoods so local button gave me 5 day outlook & regional & US radar was well used. I also kept track of FL & Toronto where I travel for biz just push the button & had it. Weather Nation SUCKS zero features.:(