What is the meaning of “Early Season Riding Conditions”?

frosty

Usually snow conditions. Meaning you can be hitting rocks, stumps, ruts, roots, down branches. Kinda like 4 wheeling with a layer of snow and using your sled instead.

MZEMS2

Frosty pretty much covered it, but yeah, the phrase doesn't really refer to the calendar, but rather to expect all potential hazards possible under minimal snow cover, or inadequate maybe ungroomed snow cover.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
From the Snowmobiler's Handbook

It's a phrase that is used to frustrate snowmobilers in general. You want to get out there early but prefer to avoid the aforementioned stumps, rocks, roots, and branches.

An experienced snowmobiler also knows that the hazards of Early Season conditions can quickly reduce the value of one's $12,000 sled to much less is a short amount of time.

lvr1000

It's a phrase that is used to frustrate snowmobilers in general. You want to get out there early but prefer to avoid the aforementioned stumps, rocks, roots, and branches.

An experienced snowmobiler also knows that the hazards of Early Season conditions can quickly reduce the value of one's $12,000 sled to much less is a short amount of time.

Very well said!

whitedust

Early & Late season conditions mean trails "SUCK"!!! Carbide & hyfax cost are bearable but track,stud & ski damage is cost prohibitive during these conditions. "We ride" & all that garbage.lol Better yet ask Indy for pictures! :)

indy_500

Better yet ask Indy for pictures! :)

LOL I don't have all day! First weekend in December we all lost our carbides and my buddy lost a ski on his 12 MXZ X 800 ETEC with 500 miles. My slides are gone now, my 2" track is toast after 800 miles, Been a rough year so far LOL

Lost Sheep

LOL I don't have all day! First weekend in December we all lost our carbides and my buddy lost a ski on his 12 MXZ X 800 ETEC with 500 miles. My slides are gone now, my 2" track is toast after 800 miles, Been a rough year so far LOL

Love it !!

groomerdave

Here's what it looks like..
2013-01-04_11-18-46_316.jpg
Not too mention it tears the trail surface up and degrades the sport in the public's eye on some of the highly visible trails.
Think Snow! -Dave

anonomoose

The funny thing is older sleds with shorter lugs and boggy wheels would have handled GroomerDave's pictured trail just fine. Newer sleds don't like lack of snow and low snow conditions, for all of the above reasons, as the newer sleds depend upon good CLEAN snow hitt'n the hyfax and track and coolers.

Most experienced sledheads with modern equipment would not even consider riding over Dave's pictured trail....as it would simply waste an expensive sled for every minute you ride. Not to mention that the sled is likely to over-heat. However, in the rush to get out there and get going...some will throw all of the above out the window and go anyway. I won't fault them, but you won't catch me riding on that stuff even if I have to wait until March...which of course I know I won't have to do based upon most winters.

Spring riding is a bit different and would be more preferable because the snow base is far more solid and bridging a low snow spot and 2 feet deep down the trail is something that can be done with caution.

snobuilder

LOL....2" tracks and early riding conditions don't play well together, eh?

toasted a couple sets a bides and slides over the 1st.