What makes us ride where we do?

dfattack

I was going to post a more lengthy message a couple weeks ago when I was reading about people discussing heavy traffic, people riding in the middle of the trail, etc. but I decided against it at the time partly due to time. I didn't have enough to cut my comments down since I don't really like long posts and tend to not read everything.

My question is why do some ride only in the heavy traffic areas? Why not try other areas that don't see as much traffic and have great trails? I know there are legitimate reasons for some but for those that have options why not travel to other parts of Wisconsin or the U.P. where there isn't as much traffic instead of selling sleds or giving up the sport?

goofy600

I, sense 2004 have owned a place in Watersmeet area and have worked or wife still working so that has somewhat locked us in to riding where we do around home. Last year did take a few days to overnight to new area we have never been before. Before that we did ride more areas but were somewhat locked into where we got a hotel which quit often has to be booked way in advance so go the the snow belts. Always lived to far for day trips usually so didn’t really do that. I will say when younger I was able to put many miles on from home in Kenosha county.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good question. For me, not only where, but when I ride. There's so many factors... when and if it snows, trail conditions, work schedule, to name a few. I tend to ride in an area with trails that I'm familiar with. It's a reasonable amount of travel time to get there, and lodging and food options are adequate. I'm fine with exploring new areas but tend to avoid the high traffic whenever possible.

I grew up where we could ride from right outside our door. That's not the case anymore but most would agree that riding in the area in which we live would be ideal.

Good question, I think about it often.

Gary

whitedust

I traveled all over WI and UPMI chasing snow. Sometimes distance from home with trailer in tow would limit day trips so rode where the snow had fallen could ride 100 miles or so and trailer home same day. Week long trips are to locations with amenities I require to be comfortable plus hotel with groomed access trail. No amenities and I won’t consider a location. Trail routes are always away from traffic this year east was limited due to a bridge failure also shied away from known grooming failures like anything Baraga grooms. I won’t stay in very popular areas like Eagle River or Mass City just too many people. I also have to consider a rally location that is central to all my buddies that live all over the Northwoods. So lots of factors determine where I ride.

heckler56

It is like a chess game. We have based out of the same place for over 12 years (owners haven’t raised rent and stopped advertising in winter bcuz they like us). My buddies live in Illinois, Iowa, and Michigan. We arrive Saturday or Sunday, make a quick ride to Foggys or Buckhorn for dinner. We get serious on Monday for a ride and base every day through Friday on; trail conditions, observed trailers in motel lots, groomer reports, talking with riders at gas station/bars. We will modify if the vibe on the trails is a week of ricky rockets or off trail groups. If we are lucky to get in some really big runs in during the week, we make Friday a Kingston Plains day to stay away from trails.
dfattack, I know from posts we ride a number of the same trails with a few that traditionally do not have much traffic. We choose those if it is crazy busy elsewhere.

dfattack

Yeah, I expected many to answer that they ride from home or their place which they have in the north woods. Totally understand that as I am one of them. This year snow has been pretty good in my area Florence/Iron Mountain, MI area and noticed a lot more trailers in town this year than what I'm used to seeing. This didn't necessarily equate to more traffic in those areas however. I was surprised but pleased to see more activity in town (IM) but I started thinking after reading various posts about the people riding on the wrong side of the trail, high traffic, too busy on weekends, etc. etc...I wondered why more who don't have a place and trailer anyway don't try areas that are less traveled? I keep referring to my area because it's an easy example to use, but it could mean other areas with lower traffic too. For example, from my travels I would put some of Florence County trails as some of the best in the north woods. Club usually does a fantastic job maintaining them. Hardly ever have any Chop let alone moguls and low traffic. At the same time you see 2-3' moguls on trail 3 and people keep going back. I personally don't get it except for those who have cabins or live in those areas. Nothing beats leaving from you house...I get it. Was asking more for those that trailer north and aren't tied to one particular location. Is it because you simply know and like the bars, restaurants and lodging choices and really haven't ventured out to other areas? For some reason this year I've wondered about this more than before. I'm interested to see some of the responses.

Having a cabin, where I can ride right out the yard and connect to a trail, is the biggest factor for me right now. I've been riding this area since I started on a kitty cat too. Sure there are plenty of other areas a little further north that usually have wider trails, more snow, and better conditions overall, but this is just too convenient. Driving from home it only takes a little over an hour to get there. I don't have to pay for lodging. Don't have to spend money on every meal being out and the list goes on. As long as there's decent snow and trails are open here (which I have to admit is less time than plenty of other places), I'm going here first. We also venture at least one other location during the season on an annual trip to the Northwoods. This takes planning and use of vacation, however. And we usually do get an invite once a season to a friend's cabin. I do like going to different areas and will probably try at least one more area next winter. When I was young, we chased snow and spent a lot of time various places in WI and The UP. Life happens. I don't really have the desire to chase snow anymore either, though. Maybe if we can't go any of our normal areas, the Winter is poor, or we're waiting for our usual place to open, we may venture somewhere else now. Having a place we can recreate all 4 seasons is the ticket!

chunk06

We always head for less busy areas, but usually end up staying close to areas that are busy for convenience. Last trip we got a late start one day and tried to stay close to Lake Namakagon to eat lunch. It didn't take long to decide to abort that mission and move on. I feel sorry for some of the people that work at the busy bars and gas stations that have to deal with people

ICT Sledder

I moved to a riding area. Trail is across the street from the house. In a part of NW MN that is still 100% northwoods, with lots and lots of active sled clubs, lots of trails, but really only moderate "tourist" sled riding. It is sort of a sledding destination for those to the south, but absolutely nothing like Vilas Co, WI, the Western UP and Kew, and the north shore of MN. So what you end up with is an extensive trails system, regularly groomed, with reasonable traffic volumes that doesn't cause the trails to get beat to moguls every three hours. Feels like the happy medium of sled life.

Still plan to continue to do truck/trailer trips to destinations, but feel like I'm over the clown show that has become of the far western UP and the Keweenaw. I'll go visit in the summer when I don't have to look at mass quantities of dudes from IA and IL with their pastel pink-wrapped long-tracks and magenta onesies doing hardcore stuff like riding in the ditch next to the grade trails, all while me and my sled are getting pounded into oblivion by the moguls.

Tim in Indiana

I usually ride from my place in PI. We do take a couple backpack trips each year and if possible I like to just head in a direction and see where it takes us.

Almost always that is north into the UP. I seldom ride (like hardly ever) south. I prefer the fewer stops, road crossings, road riding and less traffic. Also less crowded bars and restaurants. I will ride by a place if there is too many sleds or vehicles in the parking lot.

The reasons above are why I usually ride weekdays or very early in the day if on a weekend. I like to get up and leave around daylight and can get in a good ride before many others get out. Yesterday I left early, rode 135 miles and was back in PI by early afternoon. I saw less than a dozen sleds on the trail but saw dozens sitting at the bars. I had no agenda or direction in mind, just went and if the trail was moguled too much I went a different direction.

indy_500

For us it’s simple. Lodging. Bringing the little man with most trips, he wants a pool. The fiancé wants a modern-ish hotel. That puts us in a lot of the high traffic areas. We have stayed in Ironwood, St Germain, Eagle River, and Ashland this year. Had to bail on Minocqua a few weeks ago when they got rained on. That’s one of Brody’s favorites as we have stayed every year at the waters for 3 years in a row, where he loves the pool/water park.

St G is one of my favorite spots. It’s easy to get north out of town, and plenty of trails to take, to spread the traffic out. Everything is catered towards sledders, and most in town don’t mind you there, unlike some of the other larger towns.

All of us on this site, are here because we love riding. Many who head north, go up there for the experience. Get away from home-work life, hit up their favorite establishments, hang out with friends, all while riding sleds. Many could care less if they are riding the smooth low traffic areas, they just want to have a good time. The high traffic areas have the lodging and the establishments to offer a good time.

pclark

I always ride from home as I live here now, I would not be opposed to a backpack trip now & then. Where I ride depends on the day of the week and conditions. During the week (M-Thursday afternoon) you can usually ride anywhere up here and the traffic is low, if I do ride weekends I go west into Price County or Northwest into Iron County. I stay off the grades like 17 from Minocqua to Hurley ( just a race track and sometimes very rough) If I know certain trails cannot be groomed due to open water, logging, etc I avoid them. I have ridden up here for many years so I know my way around 4 counties pretty well without having to look at a map, if a trail is bad, I'll switch it up and take another route in hopes of better trails. I ride the lakes that are safe and road riding is fine with me if it's on the planned route for the day. I don't ride in the UP anymore because there is plenty to cover here in NW and NC WI, not opposed to it, but at this point don't need to. There was a time when I lived in Southern WI and we would always base out of Gwinn, MI and put on some pretty big mileage days up that way, now average anywhere from 120-170 and it's more about the scenery and seeing things and places that I blew by before when I was younger. I don't drink alcohol while riding anymore until we get real close to home and then we are typically back by dark (that is just an age thing, now 66). It's been a very busy winter up here with tons of sleds, wherever you ride, hopefully it's been a good season for you.

snomoman

Just got back from 1000 mile snowmobile trip in the western UP, I’ve been going up there through out all the UP for 30 years, really don’t go through Wisconsin trails anymore because they’re just too tight, too many bars and too many sleds, people have mixed feelings about the UP and I can understand that, most of the trip was fairly good although I did run into some rough spots but overall I was pretty satisfied with it, hope to do an Airbnb house next year for a week

Tuck

We move around so we can see different areas, I think of it as shopping the area so we can better decide where to get a cabin at.

MKW

Funny you should ask that question about where and why you ride because i've been asking myself that alot lately. I grew up in North Central Wisconsin(I'm not going to get into specifics here as I don't need the area I ride invaded with tourists!). We base out of St. Germain area when the area I grew up in is not suitable to ride. Mainly as I have relation there and can stay, right next to the trail etc.. Also love the area for great dining and entertainment. I ONLY ride during the week usually Tues-Thurs. This year was one of the very worst I've ever seen for traffic even mid week.
Every year we do a backpack trip threw the UP. This year on day 2 at 9 AM I was hit head on by another sled about 65 MPH. The guy was on the complete wrong side of the trail coming over a hill on a straight stretch forest road that was probly wider than I-94. He was so far left it cleaned my enitire RIGHT side of my sled off, it hit so hard it blew the cap off the gas tank! I was thrown 60-70' over the sled threw the air down the trail. The impact on the bars broke my arm and shattered my wrist. I had a 5 hour surgery and plates and screws installed to reconstruct my wrist and arm. Needless to say my sled was destroyed as was the rest of my riding season and more than likely the first part of my motocross season. After the accident i'd bet 75-100 sleds came by!! ON A TUESDAY!!!! Usuallly amatuer hour is on the weekend but now has bled over and into the week days. This has been the worst year for accicents traffic and fatalities I've ever seen. The cold hard facts is there are twice as many people riding than there was 10 years ago.. and increases every year. With the same old trail systems its going to just keep getting worse. Hate to say this, and call me selfish but,... I'd take a few bad winters with little to no snow so alot of these people lose interest and sell their stuff and get back to only the diehard snowmobilers out there that know what the hell is going on and how to ride!

I will continue to ride but will spend most of my time around my home area where I grew up next year as long as conditions will allow...fortunatly it is not a destination for tourists. Mainly local riders and I hope it stays that way!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was hit head on by another sled about 65 MPH. The guy was on the complete wrong side of the trail coming over a hill on a straight stretch forest road that was probly wider than I-94. He was so far left it cleaned my enitire RIGHT side of my sled off, it hit so hard it blew the cap off the gas tank! I was thrown 60-70' over the sled threw the air down the trail. The impact on the bars broke my arm and shattered my wrist. I had a 5 hour surgery and plates and screws installed to reconstruct my wrist and arm. Needless to say my sled was destroyed as was the rest of my riding season.
Heck of story and you are Very Fortunate to be able to share it with us. Take care and hope it's a speedy recovery!

Gary

x-ride

Been sledding and chasing the snow for 35 years and loved every minute of it, but to be honest, if I didn't have a cabin in the northern lower, (near a heavy traffic area), I probably wouldn't even own a sled anymore. Don't get me wrong, my family and I love sledding, but with the lack of snow in recent years, or big snow storms that melt within a day or two and the cost of everything sled related, and the many carless riders on the busy weekends, I'm not sure its worth it anymore. I'm happiest just sitting at my cabin listening to the wind blow through the trees with a cold one.

scoobydoo

We used to ride all over the place. A few years ago we bought a place and now base out of there most of the time. Will do a back pack trip still time to time and should maybe so more of those, but am still a mostly weekend rider stupid work gets in the way. We chose our spot for snowmobiling and lots options for different routes and destinations. Never wanted boat, but can get out on a chain and thats pretty fun in the summer months. The ATV route goes right in front of our place and that is really a blast to do also. The area has just so much to offer for us that the a guy would have to try to b bored. Now if I could just figure out how to retire, the lotto thing just isnt working

mike1970

Back in the day (pre-cabin) I trailered from the Twin Cities, MN area to anywhere with good snow. Grand Rapids, MN, Solon Springs, WI, and UP just to name a few. 10 years ago we bought a cabin outside of Spooner, WI and can ride right from the driveway and on groomed trails. The sleds don't hit the trailer until Spring. Yes, it locks us into one general area, but it's an area we love. And it's just too easy to ride right from the yard, and it's not generally a high traffic area. If we can't ride because of snow conditions there are plenty of other things to do.

pclark

Funny you should ask that question about where and why you ride because i've been asking myself that alot lately. I grew up in North Central Wisconsin(I'm not going to get into specifics here as I don't need the area I ride invaded with tourists!). We base out of St. Germain area when the area I grew up in is not suitable to ride. Mainly as I have relation there and can stay, right next to the trail etc.. Also love the area for great dining and entertainment. I ONLY ride during the week usually Tues-Thurs. This year was one of the very worst I've ever seen for traffic even mid week.
Every year we do a backpack trip threw the UP. This year on day 2 at 9 AM I was hit head on by another sled about 65 MPH. The guy was on the complete wrong side of the trail coming over a hill on a straight stretch forest road that was probly wider than I-94. He was so far left it cleaned my enitire RIGHT side of my sled off, it hit so hard it blew the cap off the gas tank! I was thrown 60-70' over the sled threw the air down the trail. The impact on the bars broke my arm and shattered my wrist. I had a 5 hour surgery and plates and screws installed to reconstruct my wrist and arm. Needless to say my sled was destroyed as was the rest of my riding season and more than likely the first part of my motocross season. After the accident i'd bet 75-100 sleds came by!! ON A TUESDAY!!!! Usuallly amatuer hour is on the weekend but now has bled over and into the week days. This has been the worst year for accicents traffic and fatalities I've ever seen. The cold hard facts is there are twice as many people riding than there was 10 years ago.. and increases every year. With the same old trail systems its going to just keep getting worse. Hate to say this, and call me selfish but,... I'd take a few bad winters with little to no snow so alot of these people lose interest and sell their stuff and get back to only the diehard snowmobilers out there that know what the hell is going on and how to ride!

I will continue to ride but will spend most of my time around my home area where I grew up next year as long as conditions will allow...fortunatly it is not a destination for tourists. Mainly local riders and I hope it stays that way!
MKW, that is a scary experience that I'm glad you were able to survive. I've also experienced riders during the week all over the trail and on the wrong side of the trail. I'm not quite sure what they are thinking other than maybe the trail is all theirs? They need to take a refresher safety course for sure. I'm not sure at my age that I would return to riding if that happened to me, I used to worry about deer jumping out at night in front of me, but I don't ride much at night anymore, now it seems like you always have to worry about whats coming at you around every corner.