What to wear for mid layer?

special_k

Good base layer, good fleece layer, Castle jacket. if it's cold, I put the zip in liner in. That's good for 95% of riding.

Hoosier

That makes sense - the three layers (base, mid and shell) for normal conditions, and then an extra mid layer for more cold conditions.

brad

I made the transition from an insulated coat to a shell last season. As long as the shell is windproof and waterproof, it's very easy to layer to match your riding conditions. I ALWAYS take an extra layer, but typically begin with a base layer of silk or polypropylene, a mid-layer of fleece, and then the outer layer which is the shell. You can always take off a layer, but if you don't have an extra layer when you need it, it can be kinda dangerous.

I still have insulated upper chest high riding pants, and I'm sure these lend to "core" warmth as well. Probably should take your riding pants into consideration as you equip yourself.

As John has stated emphatically above, stay completely away from cotton. Rode with a couple of guys last winter who had cotton T shirts on as their base layer, and they regretted it in a big way. We got a stuck in an off trail situation, worked like the dickens to get out, and when we did, they quickly got real cold. Ultimately they had to stop, peel off the cold wet cotton, and just used their fleece 2nd and 3rd layers (real cold day) which allowed them to warm up quickly. Good lesson learned for them I'm sure!

Good luck in your decisions.

t660redrocket

Remember...COTTON KILLS and COTTON IS ROTTEN. A synthetic base is great but the one downfall of it that people don't think of is that it retains odor badly and sometimes doesn't washout. One thing I've learned from all the backpacking I do is that quality Marino Wool or Smart Wool base layers is by far the premium way to go. It wicks moisture, is soft and not itchy (like regular wool can be), it's warm and best of all it can be worn day after day with out smelling. I know this sounds gross but on a backpacking trip I will go all week on just 2 Marino Wool sets of base layers. Layer #2 for me is usually a 50/50 cotton/polyester blend. I NEVER wear anything that is 100% Cotton. It does nothing but soak up water. I highly recommend purchasing Marino wool for everything on your base layer. Socks, bottoms, tops, gloves. Everything. You will NEVER NEVER NEVER regret having invested in such a good base layer.

S

skylar

I start with a thin fleece long sleeve tshirt, then I go with a mid weight fleece pullover, and if it is cold my Klim Inferno shirt, then my Klim Tekvest, then my Klim Valdez jacket. On the bottom, I have synthetic underwear, thin fleece "long underwear" then mid weight fleece pants, then my Klim Togwotee bibs. I have several different pairs of synthetic or fleece, or smart wool socks, then my Klim boots.

I am usually fine with this, I also have a spare fleece pullover in my bag at all times. Sometimes on the way back to Krupp's from John's, running the rail bed, I throw that extra layer on.

Cotton kills.

snobinge

Most important layer is the base layer! As t660redrocket states...the synthetic material does tend to stink by the end of the day. I always have a fresh base layer every day. Obviously you don't have the backpack restriction when staying in a hotel/cabin. Another thing to remember is to not use fabric softener with the synthetic materials. This inhibits its wicking capabilities. I have had great luck with Patagonia, Mountain Hardware and Burton. These are not inexpensive, but great products. I'm sure KLIM makes a good product as well, but being a skier I have always used products like Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, NorthFace, Burton etc.

srt20

How good is under armour for a base layer? I got the cold weather stuff, but when I wore it atvin on a 50* day I froze my butt off, even after I put on my winter jacket. My wife was fine in hers, with no jacket. We both had sweatshirts and jeans on also. I am not a guy that gets cold real easy either. Did I do something wrong?

nitroman

<font color="ff0000">Under armour cold gear works great but for the budget conscious go to Target and look at the Champion brand C9 gear. Made the same way as UA works the same and 1/2 or less of the price. They have different weights as well. They also have mid layers as well as Skivies. Also look into poly sock liners for under your synth socks they are like 3 bucks but the payback is great. I also keep "ride out" layers in my tunnel bag and backpack, extra socks, mid layer, thick gloves, and neck gator. It's a system but when you get it right you will thank yourself for spending a couple extra bucks and paying attention to the details.</font>

whitedust

Staying warm is as JDs says synthetics to wick sweat away. I sweat a lot but never get cold or wet. One time I took my shell off & it was soaked just dripping on the inside but I was dry as a bone & warm due to layred synthetics. I find cotton is like a sponge & holds mositure. My core protector has become my mid layer & I like it over a plastic tek vest because it breaths & allows moisture to escape. Lose the cotton & you will be much more comfortable.

Jog, Xcounty ski, iceskate, split wood do anything to get cardio going with synthetics & see how dry you are. Then do the same cardio with cotton next to skin & you will be soaking wet & warm but when you bring cardio down you will be wet & very cold & it is difficult to get your core temp back up because the cotton holds the water. I wear very thin 1st layer of synthetic seems to move the moisture best for me.

whitedust

Sure you bet for trail riding! Ever have that guy on your side of trail in a twisty corner & "go holy shucks" & head for the berm & beyond? One of those & 1st thing on the list is a protection vest. All my buds wear them. It would be like driving a car without a seat belt. Ever fall off your sled if not you will everybody does. Tek vest will protect you buy one ASAP & lots of brands & choices. Check out www.sixsixoneprotection.com

luke_duke

Everything Nitroman said is 100% right.

John Dee made me a believer when I asked the same questions 3 years ago...I bought Klim(even though you don't have to use Klim)and used the layering system and I CANNOT be happier when it comes to staying warm while riding.

S

skylar

I once had someone try to tell me that if I wear a tekvest, that I rode to aggressive. I told them that accidents happen, one error in judgement, and anything can happen.

attack_06

what does anyone suggest im a big guy with a automatic oven inside me no way could i wear all those layers even on a cold day

snoluver1

How do the tekvests fit under your shell. I have never worn one but know I should. My Klim tomohawk is allready a bit on the small side. Would you have to get the next size up?