What to wear for mid layer?

whitedust

snoluver:look at sixsixone core protector much ligter than hard material tek vest. Tekvest was too restrictive & bulky for me. Tek vest gives good protection & back support but rode up in my arm pits & too snug with current shell. Lots of brand choices out there to try on. Some guys wear tek vest on outer garment too. Your choice.

uncle_ed

attack 06
I too am "oversize" and overheat easily. Fleece doesnt breath well for me so I go with a thin poly t-shirt and then a poly or wool sweater under my jacket. The open weave of the sweater allows for ample breathability. It is bulkier than most other garments but works well for me

blob

Attack 06
Another oversize guy here. My oven also works overtime off trail. I wear thin synthetic under armor type short sleeve as a base, long sleeve synthetic under armor type long sleeve as a mid layer, then an oversize shell with lots of vents(My vents are always open)as an outer. Both under armor type shirts are much less bulky and restrictive than just one cotton t-shirt let alone a sweatshirt, and work so much better. Always carry a mid weight fleece for the ride home or if it gets really cold. The real secret to layering IMHO is the outer layer needs to be breathable to get the moisture out if you really sweat. I like to be a little chilly on the trail ride to the fun stuff, but am always hot and sweaty when up and moving about on the sled. On warm days(above 20 degrees)I usually end up wearing only the base layer and a shell.

polarisrider1

Another large oven here. lol. I am way to lazy to switch up clothing because of temp changes. This works for me. Bottom: Klim Agressor base layer, klim everest pants(mid), Klim extreme bibs. Top: Klim Agressor Base layer, Klim Inferno shirt(mid), beacon, Tek vest, Polaris shell (no liner). Gloves: Togwotee with removable liners or True North adventure "storm gloves. Socks: Klim, RU Outside or Fox. Boots: RU Outside, Trukke, or my Lacrosse Iceman, I like them all. Helmet: ZR1 motocross style, or Doo modular (stickers removed)lol. Goggles: Spy, Rudy Project, Zeal, or Scott. It's a system not just a mid layer.