What trip(s) have you cancelled so far?

rph130

Anyone know how much is on the ground in Presque isle, WI? How much is needed to officially open the trails? My buddy has a rental and need to know if he should cancel?
About 6" of snow on ground in Presque Isle this morning. Went into town and saw that PI/Winchester SnoBunnies had the groomer out and were rolling the trails. It's a start but saw trail after it was rolled and looked pretty lame. A friend of mine took his sled out last night for a quick run down trail 6 to Retreat Bar and said he broke through swampy area near Presque Isle Lake along County W. As for the county opening the trails, I don't see it anywhere in the next two weeks unless we get a lot of snow that's not predicted yet. I hope I'm wrong but just not happening.

snoden

Paradise posted they were sending out 2 groomers and 4 men today on the falls trail to break the ice in the swamps and doing the same on the South trail tomorrow. He said by doing so it will help them freeze harder with some cold temps then they may be able to groom in a weeks time if they get more snow. Sounds like they got around 8" the past few days. It's a start and I believe will only get better with cold temps on the horizon which has gotta bring on the LES.

radta7

About 6" of snow on ground in Presque Isle this morning. Went into town and saw that PI/Winchester SnoBunnies had the groomer out and were rolling the trails. It's a start but saw trail after it was rolled and looked pretty lame. A friend of mine took his sled out last night for a quick run down trail 6 to Retreat Bar and said he broke through swampy area near Presque Isle Lake along County W. As for the county opening the trails, I don't see it anywhere in the next two weeks unless we get a lot of snow that's not predicted yet. I hope I'm wrong but just not happening.
Thanks! Great info.

Tim in Indiana

That low area just east of the Retreat is water draining from my property across W. The beavers have it pretty damned up north of W. I bet I have 10-12 acres of ground covered in water now that was mostly dry a year ago. And with the river outlet from PI Lake backed up all year because of the beaver dams it is keeping that area wet.

Our water was high all summer while other lakes in PI were very low. People complained about both situations.

FYI, anyone running 6 west between PI and the Retreat needs to watch for the new driveway between Bayview Road and the Retreat. The landowner brought in fill to build up their driveway through the wet area and the drive is now 18"-24" higher than the trail. It is quite a bump right where people open it up a bit. Once there is enough snow to build up the proper approaches it will be ok but now it is a big hump.

goofy600

Tim you need to find someone to trap them beaver or it’s only going to get worse. See if club can do anything. I (UP Thunder Riders club) contacted forest service because of beaver flooding one of our trails on there land and they had there trapper they use and trapped 7 from the area then all we had to do is break up the dam and so far problem solved.

Tim in Indiana

Tim you need to find someone to trap them beaver or it’s only going to get worse. See if club can do anything. I (UP Thunder Riders club) contacted forest service because of beaver flooding one of our trails on there land and they had there trapper they use and trapped 7 from the area then all we had to do is break up the dam and so far problem solved.
I talked with someone this past fall and they were supposed to take a look but ran out of time. Next year we'll take a run at them. The beaver have really multiplied around our area. Without taking them out of the picture it does no good to tear out the dams. They'll start rebuilding the next day and can patch a dam breach very quickly, usually overnight. It's like the old saying, You can't fight Mother Nature.

My property water flows into PI lake. The real problem is the dams on the PI river are slowing the flow out of PI lake. The lake has been very high for the last couple years, which I do not have a problem with, but that does cause issues with the incoming water into the lake backing up. Like on the trail at the north end by W.

goofy600

Tim as you said you have to get them all to really make it work. Big thing is finding someone that wants to trap or find someone that gets paid to trap and get them out of there. Then get damn’s removed and stay we it. I’m lucky where our clubs problem is, is on forest land and they have people on contract to trap for them but I still had to get someone with an excavator to go out and clear the damn.

pclark

Interesting to hear about all the rain near smokinjoe. The swamp I pass on the way to our place in Spread Eagle, WI is lower than I have seen in years, which means we had a dry end of summer/fall.
I will 2nd the rain this past fall, spot on in this area, I know I was out working in it getting the garage dried in.

rph130

I talked with someone this past fall and they were supposed to take a look but ran out of time. Next year we'll take a run at them. The beaver have really multiplied around our area. Without taking them out of the picture it does no good to tear out the dams. They'll start rebuilding the next day and can patch a dam breach very quickly, usually overnight. It's like the old saying, You can't fight Mother Nature.

My property water flows into PI lake. The real problem is the dams on the PI river are slowing the flow out of PI lake. The lake has been very high for the last couple years, which I do not have a problem with, but that does cause issues with the incoming water into the lake backing up. Like on the trail at the north end by W.
I have a guy in MW that handled a beaver problem on our lake Tim. He didn't charge anything. Just wanted the fur or meat and written permission from me to enter my land and set traps. I guess it was a legal precaution. Text me if you want his number.

SHOOT2KILL

The bullseye is still on So. Wi...Just slightly NW of where it has been on the GFS map for 7 days now...NWS-Milwaukee is now on board with a 5-9" snowfall Monday pm-Wed am in Rock Co...
They just added another 6" snowfall down here on Friday...Yep...That GFS map showed that on their 10 day forecast map back on Saturday...Upwards of 18" if it ALL hits...

rph130

They just added another 6" snowfall down here on Friday...Yep...That GFS map showed that on their 10 day forecast map back on Saturday...UpSo
Looks like Southern Wisconsin finally gets their turn. I can't remember the last time you guys had decent trails for an extended period of the season. If these next few storms happen and it stays cold, could be good for a while.

hermie

2,500 miles last year, I’m itching to ride also. We cancelled our Copper Harbor trip January 27th
Probably a little early on to cancel this trip. I think the lake snow guns are going to be rolling by end of the week.

SHOOT2KILL

Looks like Southern Wisconsin finally gets their turn. I can't remember the last time you guys had decent trails for an extended period of the season. If these next few storms happen and it stays cold, could be good for a while.
2007-08 we got 103" total...

whitedust

Cancelled our trip up north on the 15th and hoped to access both the UP less traveled areas Vilas and Forest counties in WI too. As a group we will punt see what’s possible based on conditions at that time and personal schedules.

snoden

Oh brother, here we go again! Happy for those that made it out and got some seat time. Weather prognosticators are painting an ugly picture for the next couple of weeks and if it comes true, we just might lose the rest of this season. Trail base is thin across the entire Northwoods landscape and won't take much for it to be toast. My groups next trip (first trip canceled) is scheduled for Feb. 10th - 17th and I'm very concerned at this point. It's not looking good....%&#@! Well, we have started looking at making alternative plan., I have friends in Maine, and we may be headed that way if this forecast does not change. Just gotta get some seat time and this might be the only option we have left.

Bullitt69

It's unfortunate, but what John forecasted is unfolding for the midwest. He did say "Take Advantage of the few times it will be good", and plan accordingly. As I mentioned before, this year reminds me of 96-97, the last time El Nino was this strong. It's eerily similar.

Maybe it's a sign to take that trip out west you've always been dreaming about. :unsure:

latner

Canceling Feb. 5th-9th in Munising. We've been up there the last 5 years at the same time and it has always been good. Web cams for this area look horrible and the forecasted temps are just going to destroy whats left.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that we can do the first week in March, but not holding our breath.