what was the latest start

euphoric1

lost of doom and gloom being painted with this seasons weather patterns. I can remember riding in northern Wisconsin in the middle of December, then it was new years and as time went on, that got iffy and conditions forced our trips out further and further until one year we trailered from our base in mercer in hunt for good snow and ended up in Mass City and that was the start of our yearly trip migration to the U.P. and even then we try to make most of our rides in February to be safe, But even there now it seems good early season conditions are getting later and later. What's the latest start or worst season due to weather you can remember?

Last edited:

whitedust

Good question. I remember 1 or 2 years in Vilas out of 16 good conditions didn’t come together until February. Then we rode almost every day to make up for late start. It wasn’t all that warm just didn’t snow much.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep a log of snowmobile activities from year to year going back to 2011. 2021 was a bust for me at the height of the Covid scare. Restaurants and lodging were closed lacking adequate staff, marginal snows in the north, and my sled never left the garage.

On the other hand, the winter of 2013/14 was great. I was riding by the week of Christmas and the snows lasted until March in Wisconsin.
On a side note, I recorded a few thaws that year but the snows were regular and plentiful to make up for it.

indy_500

2012-2013 it wasn’t rideable in the northwoods hardly until the 3rd weekend of January. I remember being up there during a massive storm that weekend, and it wasn’t hardly rideable prior to that. We actually had better snow back home at that time. Once that 3rd weekend of January storm hit, the lake effect snow machine let loose and that ended up being one of the best winters up there.

This was driving back in that storm. It took us 6 hrs to get from Twin Lakes MI to Crandon Wi to spend the night.
IMG_6556.jpeg

pclark

The way this year is going it could be a bad one. We have had two or three 2” snowfalls to date, very warm as well. They are talking 1-3” tonight and making a big deal about it. The business’s up here are already worried, going to be warm again by next weekend so whatever snow we get will be gone. At least the ground is freezing and the lake is was good until last Thursday/Friday when we had high 40’s. Pic of what it looks like right now.

latner

Haven't ridden south or mid Michigan for a few years now, snow is here one day then gone the next. I've resigned myself to the fact that the only time I will ride will be the one week in Feb. in the UP, or until I retire when I will be able to just go on whim.

goofy600

In my 18 years of owning property in the UP we had a couple bad starts and a few not really good seasons but yes this is not looking promising at all. Wife keeps showing pictures on facetube of riding to work already. Can also remember around 98 or so when the last week of normally rideable snow was gone by February 14ish so crappy years can happen even in the Yoop

mezz

January 8, 2011. Up until then, we didn't have squat. We have had some late starts in the past as well as some less than stellar seasons. This one may be the later, we'll have to wait & see. Things can change in a hurry up here.

Attachments

• Powder 01-08-11.jpg
    Powder 01-08-11.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Deep everywhere 01-08-11.jpg
    Deep everywhere 01-08-11.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 5

euphoric1

2012-2013 it wasn’t rideable in the northwoods hardly until the 3rd weekend of January. I remember being up there during a massive storm that weekend, and it wasn’t hardly rideable prior to that. We actually had better snow back home at that time. Once that 3rd weekend of January storm hit, the lake effect snow machine let loose and that ended up being one of the best winters up there.

This was driving back in that storm. It took us 6 hrs to get from Twin Lakes MI to Crandon Wi to spend the night.
View attachment 69256
Wife and I drive through something like that last year from L'anse to Watersmeet when that big storm rolled through in February, luckily it wasn't night like you were driving through..YIKES!! was hard enough telling where the road was in the daylight.

euphoric1

Have a couple trips planned with some Dee'rs this year, fingers crossed, last year we were strongly considering cancelling the guys trip a couple weeks before and mother nature pulled through for us.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
We need to get out of this split zonal flow. A couple years back we didn't ride u.p. there until January, but then it started to dump, and didn't stop. I believe my last ride that winter was in May. 2018-19 winter I believe