• Yamaha

Votes: 39 18.7%
  • Other/Vintage

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Rent It & Ride it Like You Stole It

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters

1fujifilm

It's (the 69 Scorpion) is the same kind of sled I learned to ride on. I also have a 72 AC Lynx 292 that is the same as the sled I rode once I got my safety certificate. View attachment 59476
I put A LOT of miles on that sled. It was funny when my Dad got it for me, he says "I told your Mom I bought this for her, but we both know she'll never ride it".

How long before you drilled out some hi-rise suspension plates, jacked up the rear end by 5 inches and dropped a 440 in there with exhaust flex pipe?
That is what we (and everyone else) did with our big mouth Puma which used the same chassis.

Bear

sweeperguy

How long before you drilled out some hi-rise suspension plates, jacked up the rear end by 5 inches and dropped a 440 in there with exhaust flex pipe?
That is what we (and everyone else) did with our big mouth Puma which used the same chassis.

Bear

Didn't have to. Dad's sled was a 69 Panther with a 634 Hirth. Was set up to run in the I-500. The race in Sault Ste. Marie, not the one Canada to Minn. Was a badass sled.
I could start it (took everything I had in me, pretty small kid), was allowed to ride it (when I was about 15). But if I'd of ever got it stuck don't know if I could've gotten that heavy beast out. It sucked down a lot of power mix too. We usually got fuel up at Citgo, they had power mix in a pump. Unless stone cold broke, I usually got fuel there instead of mixing gas at home and pouring out of cans. Our cans always seemed to leak at the spout. Probably me putting pressure on the spouts filling tanks.

1fujifilm

Being 52 years old, I cant help but think back to Massey-Fergusen snowmobiles also.
At some point, Scorpion and M/F were in the same company and shared platforms; here is a story that you may find interesting.

https://snowgoer.com/vintage-sleds/flashback-1976-massey-ferguson-whirlwind-snowmobile/

It makes so much sense to me why I was finding/buying these sleds back in the early 80's in Farmer's lofts. They would break down, the Farmer had no time to fix them and just stored them out of the way. I would then hear about them around the way and then buy one and fix 'em back up to ride. I also found Herters, Ariens and Moto-Ski; sure brings back memories.

Bear

old abe

Being 52 years old, I cant help but think back to Massey-Fergusen snowmobiles also.
At some point, Scorpion and M/F were in the same company and shared platforms; here is a story that you may find interesting.

https://snowgoer.com/vintage-sleds/flashback-1976-massey-ferguson-whirlwind-snowmobile/

It makes so much sense to me why I was finding/buying these sleds back in the early 80's in Farmer's lofts. They would break down, the Farmer had no time to fix them and just stored them out of the way. I would then hear about them around the way and then buy one and fix 'em back up to ride. I also found Herters, Ariens and Moto-Ski; sure brings back memories.

Bear

You are refreshing many memories fuji, as a good friend/riding bud, and myself used to work on these type "barnfinds" for other people. We eventually quit doing sled repair for other's sleds, as it took away too much of our own riding time!!! F--- that!!! Here's a good one for ya, a good friend of my son, and I, came across a 1991 Peterbuilt 387 "barnfind" earlier this year. And really cheap!!! It had sat since 2005, 800K miles, but turned out to be a darned good, solid truck!!! Cab is tight, no loose rivets, or rattles. It took some work though, stale fuel, contaminated fuel tanks, bad fuel lines, tires, minor repair, and very major cleanup due!!! It was to be as a good "extra" truck. Then, as it would turn out, it was well needed as their newest truck's engine shot craps. Ouch, big $$$ for sure on that one!!! I put more than a few miles on the old "Pete" this fall hauling grain. Maybe they should call it "Picker"??? It's a runner, as in no pollution control crap, 455hp 60 series Detroit has a lot more grunt, and go than the old Cat KW. It's always better to be "lucky" than it is to be "good", eh???

skidont

when I am not riding a skidoo 900 turbo renegade I will be behind the wheel of a BR180 grooming about 60 miles of trail in North Branch Mn , North Branch Sno - Drifters

old abe

when I am not riding a skidoo 900 turbo renegade I will be behind the wheel of a BR180 grooming about 60 miles of trail in North Branch Mn , North Branch Sno - Drifters

I will patiently wait for your 900 Turbo ride reports. And please be honest. Good riding and grooming to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweeperguy

Like this one?

I believe this was a 70 model year, all that changed was the graphics.

Nope not a Big Mouth. It was the regular style hood like this Screenshot_2018-11-27-21-12-38.jpg
The rear gas tank was changed, it was 2 pony kegs (3 gal each?) For safety for the race. Not sure of the engine was original to the chassis or if it was put in for the race.

T

Tracker

Nope not a Big Mouth. It was the regular style hood like this View attachment 59512
The rear gas tank was changed, it was 2 pony kegs (3 gal each?) For safety for the race. Not sure of the engine was original to the chassis or if it was put in for the race.

bob taylor has one in mint condition sitting above the dealerships door when you enter....ADVENTURE CENTRE Gwinn mi.....I have asked him about buying it several times...would be toot sweet

1fujifilm

Nope not a Big Mouth. It was the regular style hood like this View attachment 59512

Where is the "ski-boose" to carry the extra cleats, rivets and rivet gun? I had many of these Cats with the full cleat back in the day and fixing the track was a constant after riding plowed fields (I mean trails).
I loved how they rode though, especially on the ice with a few inches of snow, you could spin about as many doughnuts as you wanted until you got dizzy. We used to have doughnut fights on the river as they shaved river ice nicely.

Bear

1fujifilm

Fuji I think this is the longest you have had any snowmobile (Polaris) is it for sale yet?

C'mon now, we are all getting nervous about there being snow in the U.P. to ride next week.. I'll at least keep it long enough to put on a few hundred miles.. LOL.

Bear

snobuilder

Ran the ditch again tonight. Can't wait for the season to start. This sled is what snowmobiling is all about. fun.

sweeperguy

Where is the "ski-boose" to carry the extra cleats, rivets and rivet gun? I had many of these Cats with the full cleat back in the day and fixing the track was a constant after riding plowed fields (I mean trails).
I loved how they rode though, especially on the ice with a few inches of snow, you could spin about as many doughnuts as you wanted until you got dizzy. We used to have doughnut fights on the river as they shaved river ice nicely.

Bear

We had Cat Paw "studz" on ours. So they weren't "donut machines"
Worse part about Cat cleated tracks wasn't cleats letting loose. It was crossing bare pavement. Had to get up a "head of steam" to cross a 4 lane road if it was bare. Luckily up in the Soo, back then most roads stayed snow covered for the most part. Very little salt used back then it was sand that was used.

bob taylor has one in mint condition sitting above the dealerships door when you enter....ADVENTURE CENTRE Gwinn mi.....I have asked him about buying it several times...would be toot sweet

I'll have to stop in there. Maybe he just doesn't like you and will sell it to me. LOL