What Will You Be Riding This Winter?

latner

I always carry two 5 gallon cans, depending on what I left in the sleds last time I loaded them, that amount gets me down the trail a good ways until the next stop.

Hoosier

2 trouble spots for me were roof vent breaking and leaking and fuel door leaking over time. New trailer I decided to have as few openings as possible. I used fuel door first few years then later I didn’t use it at all easier to just gas up on trail all be on same gas cycle. Unfortunately somebody has to know how much fuel everyone has and possible opportunities and that was usually me. Lol I even tired to forego side door but trailer design included it. 🤷‍♂️
We haven't had issues with the fuel door and we're traveling together so it's not hard to be on the same gas cycle. If we didn't have fuel doors we'd probably just carry some 5 gallon gas cans and fill those initially instead. If I was buying another trailer it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. My initial comment to about bigger doors was that a few times you park by a pump and the hose reaches one sled and it just a few inches short of the other without moving the trailer. If the door was a bit bigger you'd have more flexibility that way.

We did lose a roof vent. Not hard to replace but a hassle to deal with. I don't think we ever use it except maybe to let some air in the trailer after a trip if the sleds are staying on the trailer. We don't store the sleds in the trailer during the offseason but they stay in the trailer all season.

indy_500

No roof vent on this one! I did own a stealth 23 footer 6 years ago for 1 winter, and it didn’t have fuel doors. Not sure how much I’ll use them yet on this one, I usually like to fuel the sleds up before we get up north because gas is cheaper closer to home. Was always pretty easy to prop open the clamshell on my recent 2 place.

This trailer was ordered with Lightnings “radar package” which included the fuel doors, alloy wheels, taller Diamond plate in the front, 16” on center floors, ceiling, and walls, and finished interior walls. I like a lot of the small features on it that come standard as well; the ramp door flap doesn’t have the dumb piano hinge, sills above the front ramp and side door, spoiler on the back with bright lights, holster for the wiring plug when not in use, etc. I caulked around the fenders and some other seams and honestly pretty impressed with the overall build quality.

Only a couple gripes, one being they used the exact same tongue jack I had on my 2 place, could really use a beefier one, and two, not sure when, but lightning went away from dexter axles some time in the last 5 years. The name brand on this already slipped my mind, but I’ve had dexter axles on all my trailers and have always had good luck, and I know parts are plentiful for Dexter equipment. Not to say the ones on this trailer aren’t any good, but shall see how they hold up!

Hard to complain either way, as I got this puppy for $10,300, which is $2000-2500 cheaper than I’ve seen any other lightning dealer post one for.

Last edited:

wisco-mb

I couldn't live without my fuel doors or roof vent.
Agree with Hoosier and MS, I always gas them up before we get to the destination. Get dressed and go. I always find it a pain to get all geared up, and have to stop a couple minutes after firing the sleds up.

I replaced my stock vent with one with an electric fan and actuator. It's on a timer that goes for an hr after we leave. Get back and trailer and no odors. I used eternabond tape when installing it. Works very well.

garageguy

Picked this up today 2023 400mi.
My picture files are two large don't know how to resize.
Polaris 650, 128 cobra 1.6
I will put taller windshield and luggage and mirrors on it.

yamadooed

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD....You can't get much more mustard in that bucket!

me and the nana will be cruisin' on our classic PS Yamahas
I’ll still be riding the turbodoo as a primary sled. Best to sell off that yamastuff while scrap prices are high…

snobuilder

I’ll still be riding the turbodoo as a primary sled. Best to sell off that yamastuff while scrap prices are high…
taking my chances....NA + EPS is where it is at. ... only turbo worth having onda snow is
Yamaha_Tuning_fork_with_logo__17538.1381886300.1280.1280.JPG

wiviperman

I will be riding the 2020 Skidoo Grand Touring 900 ACE and the 2002 Yamaha SX Viper 700 triple 2 stroke. Both run great, would love a Sidewinder but I don’t see that happening anytime soon as I bought a new to me used 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab truck to haul the snowmobiles.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

rv245

We haven't had issues with the fuel door and we're traveling together so it's not hard to be on the same gas cycle. If we didn't have fuel doors we'd probably just carry some 5 gallon gas cans and fill those initially instead. If I was buying another trailer it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. My initial comment to about bigger doors was that a few times you park by a pump and the hose reaches one sled and it just a few inches short of the other without moving the trailer. If the door was a bit bigger you'd have more flexibility that way.

We did lose a roof vent. Not hard to replace but a hassle to deal with. I don't think we ever use it except maybe to let some air in the trailer after a trip if the sleds are staying on the trailer. We don't store the sleds in the trailer during the offseason but they stay in the trailer all season.
That's the key right there. If you store your sleds in a trailer during the summer, a roof vent is a must to help get the hot air out and also to circulate the air. Many year ago, I stored my sleds in a 4 place enclosed trailer. During the summer, I would open the front and rear door along with the vent on top open, had a fan going also. I placed 3 containers of damp rid in the trailer, front, middle and rear. You'd be surprised at the amount of moisture they were pulling. Now my sleds get store in the garage all year round, my smaller (7x16) enclosed trailer sits mostly empty. As for fuel door, I had one on the 4 place that leaked and being a steel framed trailer, caused a bunch of rusting, only place on the trailer as I had it Ziebarted from day 1. When I sold it, it was 10 years old and vowed to never get another trailer with one. Oh, I never used it anyways.