What's a fair price for summer storage for a sled

rsvectordude

I have my sled stored at a buddies storage building and I know he is going to say he wants nothing to bust it out but I can't do that. I was thinking about a couple of fifths of his favorite liquor (Bacardi Silver) but I didn't want to insult him if this is being way too cheap. How much cash should I offer him instead?? I've never stored my sled other than in my own garages so I'm kind of lost here. It's a top notch storage building not a old barn. I don't believe it's heated but it may be.

mjdeutsch

if he's a true friend a few bottles will be appriciated, no cash needed. Unless he is in the storage business. Around here a 10x10 rents for $40 per month and would hold 2 sleds with no trailer.

scott_l

in central MN I pay $75.00 a summer for our two place trailer and sleds.

a question for you.......does he have this huge pole barn or storage area that is never full, or did he move some stuff around to make room for you? Either way I would give him some thing, how much was it worth to you to have the free space in your garage all summer?

chad66

$60 a month will fit 5 sleds, 6 if your creative but not trailer where I've been going. I think anything to show appreciation is good if it's a friend. A gift that you had to go out of your way for rather than just reach in your pocket for I think is better between friends. As long as it's not his business. Remember, it's the tought that counts, right?

Chad@M&M

cuzzinolaf

Ungraitful....I would give him a hundred dollar bill. That is cheep storage but yet shows some gratitude.

Ungrateful? I've been called a lot of things but never that. If his friend won't accept money why not give him a bottle of something nice. It isn't like it is costing his friend any more money for him to store his stuff there.

I think anything to show appreciation is good if it's a friend. A gift that you had to go out of your way for rather than just reach in your pocket for I think is better between friends. As long as it's not his business. Remember, it's the thought that counts, right?

Chad@M&M

Agreed, Chad.

peter

I store my boat in a friends pole barn and tried to offer money he wont take it. He also does make room for me as he has people that pay for storage. I end up repaying him with labor. Help him split wood for his boiler, repair his A/C or what ever he needs help with.
If he don't want your money or booze, just owe him a favor or take him for a nice dinner.

blutooth

I store in nearly exactly the same situation as you RSVectordude. A friend had a pole barn (gravel floor) that he fills up with boats and campers in the winter and sleds in the summer. He charges me $10/mo for just the sled or $20/mo for a 2 place trailer with whatever I can fit on it. I store my boat there in the winter for $25/mo.

Compared to others I am on the cheap end of the spectrum so I think it is comparable.

If anyone is looking for sled storage next summer, sned me a PM, he usually has room.

Dave_B

Not really a true comparison but, I store my travel trailer outdoors at a local storage facility for $35.00 per month. I see lots of sled trailers there in the summer.

jbammon68

My friend stores my sleds in the summer and my pop up in the winter. I take him and his wife on a sled trip or two up to Eagle River at my family's cabin. (they don't have sleds, they ride from my stable) and out for a steak dinner.

They don't ask for anything....say what we do is more than enough, we add the steak dinner as a special thank you. They get to take advantage of snowmobiling with out the cost and upkeep of sleds, and I get super cheap storage!

Ungrateful? I've been called a lot of things but never that. If his friend won't accept money why not give him a bottle of something nice. It isn't like it is costing his friend any more money for him to store his stuff there.

Agreed, Chad.

I am just saying 100 bones is cheep....a couple bottles of rock gut to me would be tacky. Unless of course that would be his request. And I wasn't neccessarily calling you ungrateful per say....in my mind i would think cash would be more appealing.

Last edited:

big_motor_guy

Use common sense, if he drinks give him some booze, if he doesn't give him some cash. I generally give people a bottle of booze, some summer sausage, cheese, crackers, and nut mix. it's what I call the crowd pleaser. I think 100 is a bit on the high side, call me cheap if you want, I agree that 30-40/sled would great and only be 60-80 cash in hand. Remember when this subject was originally brought up you contemplated bringing them to storage and he said he's got room for them. You shouldn't have to give him what it cost any other place, it that was the case you would have brought it somewhere else right, save yourself a little and make sure he's taken care of thats it.

Last edited:

switch07

I pay a coworker 1.50 per linear ft per month for my sleds in the summer and my fith wheel in the winter. He has a polebarn with a blacktop floor and as clean as a whistle. Worth the price in my mind. It is also part of his side business so there is no negotations, just a straight up deal, same price for everyone. No hard feelings that way.

scott_l

I pay a coworker 1.50 per linear ft per month for my sleds in the summer and my fith wheel in the winter. He has a polebarn with a blacktop floor and as clean as a whistle. Worth the price in my mind. It is also part of his side business so there is no negotations, just a straight up deal, same price for everyone. No hard feelings that way.

the inside of his pole barn is blacktop?

humm never heard that before.

polarisrider1

$150 to $225 for 6 months is going rate around here. You get your sled stacked in a rack up to 5 sleds high. I would keep him in Good booze, you got a deal. You can store at my place (heated and dehumidified) for a couple bottles (1/2 gals.)of Crown or Jack for the summer. Very clean and already up north. no winter storage avail. I can fit about 40 sleds. or 1 large boat. Polishing your tunnel is extra! lol

indy_500

we pay my dads buddy to weld our heat exchangers in beer. 1 case and $20 the first time for my sled, the next time 2 cases for my dads sled and no money since he wouldnt accept many. He had 3 or 4 buddys over the night after he welded my dads sled and one of those cases was gone already lol. Think of it this way, paying them in beer "or whatever else" is just money that they don't have to spend, unless of course, you're paying me to do work on your sled.... :) i prefer cash

rsvectordude

I am just saying 100 bones is cheep....a couple bottles of rock gut to me would be tacky. Unless of course that would be his request. And I wasn't neccessarily calling you ungrateful per say....in my mind i would think cash would be more appealing.

Problem is he is really well off and probably wouldn't except any $$$$ and he does like his cocktails! It's his personal storage building not his business. My sled is on wheels with a cover on it sitting on a concrete floor. I like the idea of adding a care package along with the bottles!!