What's been your experience with Ski Doo 1200 4 stroke?? Good? Bad?

dickmsp

Good Lord I Can't Imagine Your Frustration On That One!!! Compared To Your Cat My Trouble Was A Walk In The Park!! I'm Going To The Sneak Peak In Blaine Friday, I'mSure The Ski Doo Reps Can't Wait To Hear About My New Trouble Prone Ski Doo Purchase!!

ssdsts24

Whitedust
do you know the dry weights of the yamaha long tracks that would be comparable to the renegade adrenaline? Thanks

there will be no comparison the 900 ace is a tiny 4s engine whole lot lighter than then the 1200 not in the same weight league.

whitedust

Whitedust
do you know the dry weights of the yamaha long tracks that would be comparable to the renegade adrenaline? Thanks

The Viper 136 & 141 is the comparo to the Gade should be competitive weight wise the goal was to be 50lbs lighter than Nytro dry I'm told. In my experince the Yamaha hp 139 hp 4s has much more snap than then the doo 1200 just much smoother power delivery & will get a little better mpg when run hard. I could not get better than 15mpg on GSX more in line with 15mpg on much larger Attak 150hp 4s Yamaha. Very difficult to choose Gade 1200 or Viper Guess I would go with the Viper & standard 3 year warranty as the better buy. The Ace at 90hp should not be in that mix of sleds totally out classed in long tracks where power is needed in deep stuff. IMO

dickmsp

Had Another Issue.. Stopped For A Trail Break Fri Night On The North Shore Trail, ExcellentConditons!! But. With Sleds Off, No Moon, Totally Dark, I Noticed My Exhaust Pipe Glow For About 4 Minutes Or Longer. You Could See Orange Through The Bottom Right Foot Well And Orange Glow Reflected On The Snow Underneath The Exhaust Pipe. I Opened The Right Side Panel And The Heat Shield On The Muffler Was Not glowing, Just Under The Sled... Anyone Else Have This Happen? I'm Starting To Think My Gsx SE Is Possessed!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

dickmsp,

I had a similar experience when I first got my FST Classic. I stopped and saw the glowing orange on the snow and thought my sled was on fire. It ends up they just ran that hot and the exhaust and turbo would glow bright orange/red. No doubt alot of that heat was due to the turbo, but I will be interested to see what other owners of your sled say.

D

Deleted member 10829

No wonder my feet are always hot on my 1200 Doo

LOL!! I swear I could have ridden in tennis shoes there was so much heat. Never had any ice build up in the footwells either. Whenever we would stop I'd put my gloves on the dash and they were toasty when we took off.

GSX Randy

I have a 2011 GSX 1200 with 6400 miles. Great machine so far. Only problem is that the for the first few years the 1200 came out with only a 3 weight clutch. It only lasts 5000 miles. New models come with 6 weight clutches. Ski Doo does not have a program, but most dealers are aware of the problem and will not sell you a replacement 3 weight clutch. My clutch blew about 300 miles from home. Dealer I went to in Grand Rapids MN had 12 6-weight clutches in stock. At $500/clutch that seems like a lot of inventory, but the parts guy said that they have no problem selling them. Don't forget to get the shorter replacement bolt with the clutch; original one is too long.

ski_dog

8,175 miles on my 2010 Renegade. The only issue I had was the oil cooler was replaced last year as it was leaking antifreeze. I also put on an e-Drive 2 clutch at that time because the original was rattling pretty bad and I got a good deal on the new e-Drive.

I blew one belt at 5,000 miles when I was in Wyoming 2 seasons ago and I'd bet money if I wasn't wailing the daylights out of it out there, the belt would still be in one piece. This is my 19th new sled and is the most enjoyable sled I've EVER owned...hands down. Even three of my "2-stroke or die" buddies will be making the switch to the 1200 4-TEC after putting a few miles on mine.

heckler56

Happy with my 2011 Gade. Great all day riding, smoothes out bumps and reasonable on gas. Crase1cars has summed it up. I just put on the PB80 clutch and look forward to giving it a spin.

Hoosier

8,175 miles on my 2010 Renegade. The only issue I had was the oil cooler was replaced last year as it was leaking antifreeze. I also put on an e-Drive 2 clutch at that time because the original was rattling pretty bad and I got a good deal on the new e-Drive.

I blew one belt at 5,000 miles when I was in Wyoming 2 seasons ago and I'd bet money if I wasn't wailing the daylights out of it out there, the belt would still be in one piece. This is my 19th new sled and is the most enjoyable sled I've EVER owned...hands down. Even three of my "2-stroke or die" buddies will be making the switch to the 1200 4-TEC after putting a few miles on mine.

How much did you notice extra weight off-trail in Wyoming with the 1200 compared to the 2 strokes? It's getting harder to not consider a 4 stroke, although I don't know if 2 strokes are quite as unreliable in real life as they seem to be on the internet. I think for anyone who does a lot of trail miles, it would be hard to beat something like your Doo or the Yamacat, etc. The weight is still there though.

Snowtech was so high on the Doo 900 (called it best trail sled they've ever had) that it was almost like the article was written by Doo! They said it was the 1st 4 stroke they've ridden that both had enough power and you didn't notice the weight.

timo

according to the doo web site the 900 ace renegade is only about 25 lbs. heavier than the 600 etec renegade and 40 lbs. heavier than the 800 p tek renegade. whereas the 1200 is much heavier than all three, i just was looking it up last week can't exactly remember how heavier the 1200 was though.

How much did you notice extra weight off-trail in Wyoming with the 1200 compared to the 2 strokes? It's getting harder to not consider a 4 stroke, although I don't know if 2 strokes are quite as unreliable in real life as they seem to be on the internet. I think for anyone who does a lot of trail miles, it would be hard to beat something like your Doo or the Yamacat, etc. The weight is still there though.

Snowtech was so high on the Doo 900 (called it best trail sled they've ever had) that it was almost like the article was written by Doo! They said it was the 1st 4 stroke they've ridden that both had enough power and you didn't notice the weight.

russholio

according to the doo web site the 900 ace renegade is only about 25 lbs. heavier than the 600 etec renegade and 40 lbs. heavier than the 800 p tek renegade. whereas the 1200 is much heavier than all three, i just was looking it up last week can't exactly remember how heavier the 1200 was though.

About 50 pounds heavier, if memory serves me correctly.

old abe

Putting some miles on my wife's 900 renegade today. Heading out now to do a mpg test. I will post back tonight. There is no nose heavy issue, did some 4' fluff along fence rows earlier last week. This thing so far nothing but pleasant surprise. It rocks hard to 70, then tappers off. Have seen 90 on gps and speedo. I think I've found the Canadian cruiser!

xcsp

Had my 900 GSX out for the 1st time yesterday on a local river, yes it was frozen & snow-covered.

Initial impressions are favorable! Smooth, quiet and you really don't notice any extra weight of the 4-stroke triple engine.

Rode it mostly in Sport mode and got 22mpg.

If anyone has a chance to demo one, do it, you may be surprised!