Where to go XMAS week for Trail Riding in Wyoming / Colorado.

legend02

Since we have no snow basically in Michigan in the UP, were thinking of heading out West. Looking for Suggestions.

srt20

Pretty thin out there too yet. Cooke has some snow but lots of ppl and sounds like alot of bent a arms. Tog is thin, last I heard 32" on the pass. Snowy's dont sound rideable yet. Wolf Creek sounds like it has the most in CO, but still thin. And thats a long ride to get there.

Looks like snow in the forecast out though....

legend02

Pretty thin out there too yet. Cooke has some snow but lots of ppl and sounds like alot of bent a arms. Tog is thin, last I heard 32" on the pass. Snowy's dont sound rideable yet. Wolf Creek sounds like it has the most in CO, but still thin. And thats a long ride to get there.

Should of mention looking for Trail Riding area, not off the trail.

indy_500

this is very accurate as I’ve been following closely too since we were thinking about heading out there around this time but with the conditions it didn’t happen... Two areas that stick out in my mind with good trail systems is the snowys and togwotee. I wouldn’t even consider trail riding the snowys yet it’s really that thin. Togwotee trails are probably in decent shape with what they have on the ground I would think. Keep in mind no matter where you go out west the trail systems aren’t endless like the Midwest. Usually lucky to have 100 miles total in each areas groomed trail system.

srt20

I dont think Tog groomer has been out yet? Only groomer I've heard thats ran is Cooke. And Cooke has maybe 25 miles of trails, not counting TOW trail.

West Yellowstone/IP probably has the best trail system out west, snow isn't very good there at all yet.

I haven't looked at JD forecast yet today, but I have a hard time thinking the UP won't have lake effect hitting sooner, especially with this colder air coming in.

mrbb

I have seen Tog has been taking out guided trail rider tours, so they must have trails groomed if there doing so
so, as far as I know, that would be the best best if your wanting to trail ride!

not sure how low on the MT trails are good, but they have had lots of snow now for a few weeks!

then again, big storm heading all over starting tomorrow, here in PA< there calling for 1-2 ft, pending how it hits, so, might not need to travel if other area's get this much snow, and temps are right now cold enough ground is rock hard here, so should be a good deal if it comes as there predicting it will !

eyeman

My son (Leadville, CO) is telling me that Wolf Creek Pass has 130"+. Long drive. The Grand Lake area has a great trail system and they are grooming and good to go. The forest fires and Covid have really impacted north central CO area. Summit County is totally closed other than carry out. Hotels are open, but the restaurant and bar opportunities are sketchy. The Vail Pass system is also good to go. I would strongly suggest calling ahead to plan a route and know if indoor food and drink are available.

indy_500

My son (Leadville, CO) is telling me that Wolf Creek Pass has 130"+. Long drive. The Grand Lake area has a great trail system and they are grooming and good to go. The forest fires and Covid have really impacted north central CO area. Summit County is totally closed other than carry out. Hotels are open, but the restaurant and bar opportunities are sketchy. The Vail Pass system is also good to go. I would strongly suggest calling ahead to plan a route and know if indoor food and drink are available.
Wolf Creek may have received that so far this season? But NOT 130” on the ground. Snotel is currently at 52” snow depth for Wolf Creek Pass and that’s the updated amount after they received a foot yesterday.

pez

I was riding Togwotee last week and I think they got a little more in the past few days. driving through Dubois I was like, I guess I am not riding. Even driving over the pass it looked pretty beat up. Rode last Thursday and jumped into the trees about 1/4 from the rode and had pretty good early season conditions. Rode a whole 8 miles that day and was pretty tired. Friday headed to another location and conditions were even better. There were three of us and nobody bent anything. You have to be careful and conditions are only getting better. Not sure what is going on at the lodge yet. Didn't even stop there. I think the groomers are out. Saw a few trail markers.