where was this for the last 5 months?

euphoric1

Im sure not all areas seeing this but where in the hell was all this rain the last 5 months??? grass looking better than it did all year and at a time for me its a little too late. Maybe this moisture pattern will continue into winter in the form of snow! one prediction saying it will and many more saying it wont, one can only hope anyways.

dfattack

Yes, noticed on the radar a steady (training) flow of moisture from SE wisc up the center of the state to the NW corner. For those that needed it good for you.

SledTL

I know it angers some folks but its likely climate change.....wet winters then very hot June, dry summer and start of fall, pick back up again in winter time.

mezz

Im sure not all areas seeing this but where in the hell was all this rain the last 5 months??? grass looking better than it did all year and at a time for me its a little too late. Maybe this moisture pattern will continue into winter in the form of snow! one prediction saying it will and many more saying it wont, one can only hope anyways.
We have been unusually drier than normal all summer here in the Keweenaw. With that in mind, as far as this winter is concerned, I think it is going to be a drier than normal winter. After 3 consecutive yrs of LaNina & now the presence of a strong ElNino I don't see the midwest getting their average snowfall. I very well could be wrong, just my opinion, no science involved. I could ride the middle of the fence & say we will have equal chances of a snowy winter, but, I really don't think that will be the case. We'll just have to wait and see what mother nature has in store for us.

dfattack

Agree. It is what it is. Climate has been changing forever and will continue to do so. We've had dry decades, snowy decades, etc. We will adapt. I'm sure many remember the mid to late 70's and early 80's. Prime snow years. One day I'm sure it will come back.

whitedust

Always snows Vilas and UP sometimes more sometimes less. We just need to adapt ready to ride at the drop of a hat.

goofy600

Ehh boat launches were brutal this year and the Mississippi is having gulf water flow in. 3 years in a row of crazy hot temps and no rain. I dont remember that as a kid.
Your only like 28ish still a baby most on hear are 50 to 80 so have seen a few things differently. 🤪

dfattack

Ehh boat launches were brutal this year and the Mississippi is having gulf water flow in. 3 years in a row of crazy hot temps and no rain. I dont remember that as a kid.
in the early 90's the Mississippi was so high there was flooding all up and down the river and many had to abandon their houses until the water level went down. Again. there are cycles. Based on Goofy's post you seem to be young (close to my son's age) and therefore maybe you haven't experienced the different cycles.

I have a younger friend who grew up in the U.P. and doesn't remember having a ton of snow between Christmas and New Years. When I was a kid there was a ton of snow then. We were about 10 years apart and it had changed substantially in that time.

goofy600

And the hole in the ozone layer is all healed up now, do we remember when that was a thing. Haven’t heard anything about that in years so I guess we as a society did something right for a while. And which administration will take credit for that!

Hoosier

Agree. It is what it is. Climate has been changing forever and will continue to do so. We've had dry decades, snowy decades, etc. We will adapt. I'm sure many remember the mid to late 70's and early 80's. Prime snow years. One day I'm sure it will come back.
Yes and those years are what people think of as "normal"

indy_500

The best winter east-central Wisconsin has ever seen since the clubs around here originated in the early 60s, was 2012/2013. But you know, those good winters only happened 50 years ago 🙄

matti

Duluth and surrounding areas got 4+ inches of rain in a pretty short period last weekend with another 1-2 inches forecasted for tonight/tomorrow morning. It's been pretty gloomy here so I'm looking forward to some sunshine!

Hoosier

With a strong el nino "they" are predicting a very poor winter. The plus side is I'm due for a new sled so maybe some deals will be out there.

Canada is going to fix all this though as the leadership is calling for a significantly increased carbon tax

euphoric1

World temps keep rising, Glaciers disappearing rapidly. No bull, just fact like it or not.
Ah ha and not to discredit your point because I agree and it is a fact, but at one time in earth's history the poles were once lush jungles as well. there has also been another theory floating too which can actually be plausible too and its not climate change, but the earth is tilting due to pumping out so much ground water, and if you think about it, the earth is a ball, and has to be somewhat balanced, and we all knows what happens when something spinning becomes out of balance, now I don't buy it just being "ground water" but it is believable that instead of climate change it could be climate shift as a result of.

xcr440

And right in the middle of those prime years we had this… funny how Mother Nature does things!
5550BA2A-7539-44DC-BC3A-7F8BDAD145B4.jpeg

whitedust

Yep! hahaha

My dad told me one of the big storms that occurred came after a record high temp. Might have been the 1967 storm in Chicago, but I can't honestly remember which one. Nice Pic!
I got stuck for 4 days in Chicago in the blizzard of 67. There was a wet 7” snowfall then the snow stopped for hours in the late morning then started back up and the temperature dropped and it snowed and snowed and snowed some more. Lucky for me I made it to my girlfriends apartment and shacked up there Belmont and the outer drive. It just kept snowing and many were stranded on Lake Shore Drive for 24 hours or more. Had to be six to 8 feet of snow on the sidewalk due to plowing and fallen snow. I do think it was warm preceding the storm but afterwards it got cold and stayed cold for at least a month. That was a crazy severe winter!