Which oill for gearcase polaris snowmobile

mebearman

Do I have to use the OEM gear lube when changing out the oil in my Polaris gear case that has reverse or can I use another oil like rear end lube?

I've used syn 50wt trans fluid in my sleds since 05ish and haven't had a problem. I'm sure you'll get 100 different answers on what to use.

snoduke88

I have used auto automatic trans fluid in my sleds since the 70's never had problem. I put 15,000 to 20,000 on my sleds.

snowman72

I use Polaris "SCL" (Synthetic Chaincase Lube) for all my Polaris and Ski-doo sleds. One bottle will do at least 4 sleds, all with reverse cahin cases. I buy it for about $12 a bottle, so that makes it about $3/sled. Why risk using other oils when its only a couple bucks per sled for something developed specifically for snowmobiles?

In the past I used AMSOIL, it was good but expensive, have used Polaris SCL for several years and have great results. Our "extra/spare" sled that only gets about 500 miles on it every year the oil looks like new at the end of the year and I will get 2 years out of it.

I am sure other oils work just as good, just my $.02

maddogg

I just use lower unit marine gear oil. I know of guys the use everything from 5W-30 to vegetable oil for wtercross. Put what you want in it. As long as you change it you are doing more then most. When was the last time you heard of a case failing because of the type of oil that was in it.