Whiskey - whats the difference and the best

lazer103

I have always wondered what is the difference between whiskey, bourbon whiskey, and scotch whiskey ?? I am not sure i can even tell the difference.

With that said... I like jack daniels and jack daniels tennesee honey. The honey has a nice smooth finish

jr37

I don't know the difference, but I like Kesslers and Old Grand Dad. It's been a while since I've had the Old Grand Dad, but I thought it was very smooth.

A friend of mine was just telling me this morning about the Jack Daniels with the honey. May have to try that some day.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bourbon is made from grains and is aged in Charred Oak barrels most famously from Kentucky.

Scotch is similiar to Bourbon but is made in Scotland and is aged a minimum of 3 years.

And before anyone takes me to task, the aforementioned came from Wikipedia as I never touch the stuff. Brandy is my choice when refreshments are mentioned.

renegade

I do believe the only differance between whiskey and bourban is the charred barrels, but I'm just reciting by memory from a history channel show, so can't so for sure. But I think they are both made from grain. I have some samples of scotch whiskey from a trip to Scotland in the nineties, don't know if I should drink it or keep it. Does it still age after bottling, or only while still in the barrels?

polarisrider1

My list: 1. Crown Royal on the rocks 2. Walker Evans black 3. Jamison 4. Canadian Club 8yr aged or longer 5. Bushmills 6. Gentleman Jack 7. Makers Mark 8.Jack Daniels 9.Walker Evans green label 10. Canadian Mist (mixed not straight up).

dcsnomo

250px-Kessler_Whiskey.jpg Why does Kessler’s make me so mean?
It’s the meanest damn whiskey I’ve ever seen
Kick the dog
Yell at the woman
When I drink Kessler’s my mouth starts foamin’!

Go to bed mad
Wake up feelin’ bad
Suffer all day
And all through the night
Somethin’ about Kesssler’s just makes me wanna fight!

Last edited:

polarisrider1

View attachment 32920 Why does Kessler’s make me so mean?
It’s the meanest damn whiskey I’ve ever seen
Kick the dog
Yell at the woman
When I drink Kessler’s my mouth starts foamin’!

Go to bed mad
Wake up feelin’ bad
Suffer all day
And all through the night
Somethin’ about Kesssler’s just makes me wanna fight!
Rumor has it Kesslers has been banned from Door County and now we know why! ;)

flatlandracer

Bourbon must use NEW charred oak barrels and scotch uses used charred oak barrels. Scotch can use barrels more than once, they just rechar the inside. This is also the reason you see the age of scotches much older than bourbons. New barrels impart their flavors much faster than used barrels.

600_RMK_144

Last year I had an opportunity to visit the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg, TN. It was one of the best tours I have ever been on. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend it. One of the major differences in whiskey is how it’s stored (and for how long). JD for example NEVER re-uses their barrels. The aging process allows the whiskey to soak into (and out of) the pores of the wood. Over the course of this 7-10 year process, this happens many times with the changing of the weather. As pointed out during the tour, the location of the barrels in the exact same distillery house can make all the difference in the world. Those up near the top of the multi story building see more weather extremes than those near the floor, which results in a much different result. At any rate, this may not answer your exact question, probably more than you ever wanted to know. Also, if you want to know any other history on JD, just let me know. It was a great tour with lots of interesting trivia shared. As an FYI- Jack used to pay his workers with bottles of whiskey, and YES! They still do it to this day!!!! It's referred to by the workers as "Black Friday." One last one and I'll let it be: The "rumor" of the JD famous #07 is that 07 barrels of some of Jack's best whiskey were "misplaced." As each of the seven were found, Jack went to the barrel and mark it with the number "07" to indicate it was one of the "07" That's all for now...

lazer103

great info from everyone. i have learned alot.... now who can tell me how whiskey differs from moon shine ? MOONSHINE IS CLEAR.. IS THat because it is not put in charred barrels.. is it just liquid vapor that is just bottle as it is made ? does it taste the same as whiskey ?

rmk4ever

great info from everyone. i have learned alot.... now who can tell me how whiskey differs from moon shine ? MOONSHINE IS CLEAR.. IS THat because it is not put in charred barrels.. is it just liquid vapor that is just bottle as it is made ? does it taste the same as whiskey ?
Ummmm, taste's like racing fuel. I love Bookers, makers mark, & JD'S Honey!