Whiskey - whats the difference and the best

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
great info from everyone. i have learned alot.... now who can tell me how whiskey differs from moon shine ? MOONSHINE IS CLEAR.. IS THat because it is not put in charred barrels.. is it just liquid vapor that is just bottle as it is made ? does it taste the same as whiskey ?

I had a taste of "the Shine" a few years ago. Vile Stuff! If you've ever syphoned gasoline and got a taste from the hose, that's what it's like.

dcsnomo

great info from everyone. i have learned alot.... now who can tell me how whiskey differs from moon shine ? MOONSHINE IS CLEAR.. IS THat because it is not put in charred barrels.. is it just liquid vapor that is just bottle as it is made ? does it taste the same as whiskey ?

I have a bottle of shine came up from MS. It's what I imagine the devil's urine would taste like! Ferocious stuff.

frnash

I wonder which is worse, that "moonshine", or liquid charcoal (a.k.a.Scotch) — how can anyone possibly drink that, and enjoy it?

dcsnomo

I wonder which is worse, that "moonshine", or liquid charcoal (a.k.a.Scotch) — how can anyone possibly drink that, and enjoy it?

At least scotch has an "air of civility" about it. It has a label and a brand name, the shine has a piece of duct tape with XXX on it. If scotch was a relative, it would be your old uncle Jake in the tweed sport coat, you might not want to spend a lot of time with him, but he follows social conventions. The shine is like the bastard half-wit son of your trailer trash cousin Miranda. He's loud, obnoxious, and you will catch him going through your wife's underwear drawer, or worse...yours!
A buddy gave me this 1.5l bottle of shine 3 years ago, I gave it to another friend this winter, and it is still half full. He wants to give it back, sorry, no returns!

lazer103

WOW.. I AM SURPRISED TO HEAR MOONSHINE IS THAT BAD. A BOTTLE COSTS 85 BUCKS.. I THOUGHT IT WAS TOP SHELF STUFF...... MAYBE I WILL KEEP MY 85 BUCKS... SURE LOOKS GOOD IN THE LINK BELOW..
p://moonshine.com/home.php

hamburgchf

I have a bottle of Moonshine for about 30 years, tastes like rot gut, but it will really kick your butt. My drink of choice is Kesslers and coke 3 big glasses in an evening, and you can easily solve all the worlds problems

microman

aaaahhhh Scotch..the nectar of the Gods... the sweet aroma of the highlands....single malts only, aged a minimum of 10 years.
Glenmorangie, scuplted by the 16 men of Tain. "Crafting unnecessarily well made whisky for over 160 years." The "everyday" version is the original. Leaving the 25yr old for VERY special occasions. They have 8 other "tastes" in between.
FRNash could probably find one in there to his liking.

On a side note: Whilst employed by the USN and on one of many extended visits to Scotland, my crewmates and I learned that it is quite impossible to tour more than 3 whiskey distilleries on a single day.