who else waiting for the Winter Storm Watch?

hemi_newman

I keep checking NOAA(Duluth)every half hour waiting for them to issue a Winter Storm Watch for NW WI.Please post it already!!

MZEMS2

Aint gonna happen. J/K. Storm is weakening. Now reduced to 1-2" here. I hope it works out for you guys up there though. Don't look good down here. Looks like LES for the UP though. Fingers crossed!

LoveMyDobe

Yep, we are in a watch from Sunday morning to evening with over 6 inches possible, temps around 30. Good heavy stuff. We had 12 inches after Thanksgiving but melted last weekend. Come up so the trails get backed and the groomers can go out.

durphee

Hemi, are the lakes anywhere close to being frozen and safe? I was hoping to come up after Christmas with my boys for some fun. I know thats a little ways off but im just interested.

D

Deleted member 10829

I'm in Spooner, very close to hemi, and my lake has just frozen over again, not near safe at all! If we get the snow they say we are, that will make the ice a mess.

whitedust

The watch is on west of Vilas but I think matter of time & Vilas will be included. All we can do is wait & see where storm tracks as JD said some non traditional snow patterns spooking me a bit too. I'll take whatever we get & don't think the storm will be a bust in anyway. I'm looking forward to Sunday should be snowing by then.:)

durphee

So i have a question, if lakes around an area (yeah im talking about Hayward) have maybe 1-2 inches of ice then gets 6+ of snow on top of it, wouldn't that insulate the ice and slow the growth of further ice development. So, low ice plus snow could make for a worse situation since the majority of trails go over lakes. ideas?

hemi_newman

So i have a question, if lakes around an area (yeah im talking about Hayward) have maybe 1-2 inches of ice then gets 6+ of snow on top of it, wouldn't that insulate the ice and slow the growth of further ice development. So, low ice plus snow could make for a worse situation since the majority of trails go over lakes. ideas?

Yes it will...snow acts like a blanket on ice.

slimcake

I was thinking the weight of the snow would sink the already there ice causing the top to flood resulting in better ice making conditions if it gets cold anyway....

lvr1000

I was thinking the weight of the snow would sink the already there ice causing the top to flood resulting in better ice making conditions if it gets cold anyway....

if I remember correctly this scenario does not make for good ice because you get a honeycomb affect between the 2 layers

whitedust

Vilas is in the middle of the heavy snow forecast with higher totals in WUP of course.:) Clock is ticking & hope it all holds together.