Who Rode The Catalyst?

A fired rode one Saturday. He said from his text back to me was "Worth the wait, was well worth it, light playful sled".. He is a die hard CAT guy, currently rides an '18 ZR8000. I am not sure which model he rode, but I'm sure it was the trail machine as that is all we ride.

bayfly

So..... did anyone ride the Catalyst??? LOL bayfly maybe?
I couldn’t make it to the demo ride on Saturday, but I doubt that I would have gone if I could anyway. There are several reviews from others in the industry (not Cat riders) on Utube to consider. I don’t really know how much can be learned from a quick spin on a new sled. It sounds like most everyone who has ridden the Catalyst is very pleased with the platform. I’m not looking to buy for next year so I haven’t invested a ton of time researching. I will be interested to see what the 2025 model year will bring though.

snobuilder

You are correct there. The problem with the Track is that it is highly banked. While that may not seem to be a difference maker. it is. Flat lakes can hold ice longer; guys ice fishing thru April. The Track would be toast. Until recently, there was not much of a trail thru town but in the woods it was good. Open areas in the sun tend to do that and with the 40 degree weather we had, it was iffy before they started to lay water again.
i have no insider info like some of you all seem to have but what I see here is Cat took it up the ass because there demo rides were depending on a large turnout in the world capital of snowmobiling at scheduled race event. I'd hate to think that brand loyal politics played a hand in the track readiness.

snobuilder

this weekend me and the renegade wife parked our heavy yamaha 4 strokes in front of any Doos at the bar. we could cover 3 each.

wiscrev

i have no insider info like some of you all seem to have but what I see here is Cat took it up the ass because there demo rides were depending on a large turnout in the world capital of snowmobiling at scheduled race event. I'd hate to think that brand loyal politics played a hand in the track readiness.
Pessimist?

pclark

I agree but I bet the same would go if the tables were turned and Cat was his primary brand and Polaris was his secondary, And I do understand he probably made the choice based upon what he sells more of. We are CONSTANTLY being approached by other manufacturers to carry their product line and my answer is and always will be NO and for one reason, we have such strong buying power with the one we have and they make sure we have the equipment when we need it, give us the programs to grow so why would I want to compromise all that by taking on another line. These companies want someone that will promote, sell and grow with their products. in laymans terms its either shit or get off the pot. And I hear the same stories from other dealers in my industry..." well so and so was trying to force me to take all of this stuff" I've somehow adapted and grew on the same tactics they decided to fold on, it isn't just something "Cat" has done, welcome to the world of "franchisee" or "product representation" If it was that easy.... there would be more of our out there.
Nothing wrong with being loyal to your best Manufacturer if they are loyal to you which it seems they are. Not many understand that business philosophy nowadays. I worked for a very large flooring distributor and we had one key supplier who was very good and always worked with us to keep it that way, I had other suppliers but they were my go to guys. Today a lot of businesses try and carry too many product lines, it doesn't do either any good. We were always approached as well and my answer would be that I couldn't do justice for their line and both parties would be dissapointed so they should try another Distributor that might give them the attention they need.

Hoosier

Was pretty clear that part of the old cat's downfall was overloading dealers with sleds. That and spending too much money on a HQ building nowhere near the factory, underinvesting in dirt products, the list goes on.

For the demos at Eagle River - sounds like a success because they "sold out" each day early on available rides. I think most want to see this chassis be a success.

wiscrev

For the demos at Eagle River - sounds like a success because they "sold out" each day early on available rides. I think most want to see this chassis be a success.

Tks. I wasn't there all day either day, but considering the turnout, they would have been hard pressed to offer more rides even if we were racing.
Don't now if you had seen this, but all four manufactures were involved this year at the Track---first time in over 2 decades. Also, all four were represented in the WC-----first time in over 2 decades.

ICT Sledder

I bet it only has a 600, because they aren't committing to building it yet.
Catalyst?
Snow Bike
A snow bike being "only" a 600cc 2 stroke? Has there even been a 600cc 2 stroke snow bike to begin with? They're dirt bikes. Max is generally a 450-500cc in 4 stroke. A 600cc 2 stroke snow bike would be a monster. They used to make 500cc 2 stroke dirt bikes years ago, and they were ridiculous.

Last edited:

euphoric1

I couldn’t make it to the demo ride on Saturday, but I doubt that I would have gone if I could anyway. There are several reviews from others in the industry (not Cat riders) on Utube to consider. I don’t really know how much can be learned from a quick spin on a new sled. It sounds like most everyone who has ridden the Catalyst is very pleased with the platform. I’m not looking to buy for next year so I haven’t invested a ton of time researching. I will be interested to see what the 2025 model year will bring though.
I agree, I too am thinking of waiting until 2025 season as well as I saw a post from Cat that they would be offering more engine options that would complement the Catalyst chassis, I'm hoping for an 800cc and hoping it will be non turbo'd since it seems manufacturers are headed down that road now and I don't really see the need for it in 2's, 4's I understand. Saw some video from the event and it looked like it was a real success for Cat, now how many were there just out of curiosity or a chance to ride an all new chassis or who were there with desire to try and intent to purchase, time will tell. IMO Cat hit a home run with this chassis. Someone had commented on narrowness of chassis but had same issue with 2017 ElTigre...cold legs but the flare kit they offered for it took care of it. Im looking forward still to seeing and sitting on one in person but may wait to see what engine options will be offered for next year and again hoping for 800cc 2 stroke, plus if i got the 600 I cant have the wife have a bigger engine than I have LOL.

mezz

Im looking forward still to seeing and sitting on one in person but may wait to see what engine options will be offered for next year and again hoping for 800cc 2 stroke, plus if i got the 600 I cant have the wife have a bigger engine than I have LOL.
Then you will have to get her one just like yours!!! Happy wife, happy life.....LOL! I'll bet that set-up will surprise anyone, with the weight to HP ratio it will contend with any 800 2 stroke Non-Turbo IMO. Really shouldn't need more, I know, I know, no replacement for displacement, but, that may not necessarily apply here. Just my .02.