Why do people price things ending in .99?

jebjk1

Do you really feel better buying something at $11.99 versus $12.00?
How about $4,999 versus $5,000?
I think it needs to end, along with 1 cent coins. How dumb are those!

Ramsey

$4,999 can be advertised as under $5,000. I don't know how many would bite on it but I'm sure someone does.

On a side note, I was returning something to Walmart not that long ago and the price ended in .97, the girl told me that it was on sale when it was purchased, she knew that because it ended .97 vs. something on clearance that ended .92.

racerx

irritates me every day but I try to just look past it for the most part just to preserve my well being :)

garyl62

If I'm listing something that I'm trying to get a few hundred dollars or more for, I'll always do that but it's because of what Ramsey said. If someone does a search of less than 5,000 my item will be included, if I put it at 5,000 it won't show up. As far as change goes, I agree in my mind selling something online there is no reason to even include pennies, should just be in whole dollars.

ezra

dump the penny waste of copper waste of space in my change jar. cant think of the last time I dug in to my pocket to find 3 cents to pay for something . yeah I know if a saved a 2000 of them instead of tossing them in the trash when rolling around the floor of the truck I would have 20 bucks

zltim

Do you really feel better buying something at $11.99 versus $12.00?
How about $4,999 versus $5,000?
I think it needs to end, along with 1 cent coins. How dumb are those!

When I was in sales, if we had a tough customer, we would give them a price to the penny, not .99, and that would usually close the deal or they would say drop the cents and then they would buy.

polarisrider1

We always add cents to our bids. Land way more jobs that way. 67 cents lands the most. Example : $23,993.67 trumps $24,000 everytime. Same goes for $104.67 trumps $100. Looks like you worked at the number and didn't just throw one out there. ( but I still believe dealing with the coins is a hassle.) .27 also works

eao

It's called Psychological pricing and consumers tend to perceive “odd prices” as being significantly lower than they actually are. There are lots of studies that support this.