Why do you love snow so much?

Cirrus

My family, and most people think I'm nuts, but I actually get enjoyment and exhilaration from seeing lake effect snow!
Light snow falling right now in Presque Isle. Ice glaze on most of the lake, and there's snow on the ice that wasn't there when I got up this A.M.

racerx

I always loved when everything is white as it looks clean and pure, something to be said for the entire landscape being white. Down in IL I hated the snow as only in a day or two it would be a grimey mess and to me it was a nuisance. Up here it is a part of life and it just is always pretty and reminds me of the times I was a kid always be excited to see it falling. As I write this I'm looking at the snow pickup and it is as pretty as always.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've always loved snow, always. When I went to the U.P. Dec 1st 1991 for my first sled trip there, and there was a huge LES bomb the night before, I knew I had found my go to snowmobile destination. The only place that beats the western u.p. for me, is the mountains.

mezz

No truer statement, like the old AT&T commercial, this area is "the next best thing to being there". :biggrin-new: -Mezz

indy_500

Fell in love with it as a little kid. Would push toy snowmobiles around the yard until it was pitch black out. Turned into riding an endless amount of laps on my 93 Indy trail every day and night. The rest is history. There’s just nothing like the thrill and anticipation of each storm and each snowfall and then chasing it to ride in those epic conditions! The conditions are always changing, snowpack always changing, everything about it just never gets old and you’re always looking for more!

wisco-mb

No grass to cut or trim! No allergies either!
I love all the season changes. It would be boring with out them.
#braaapp

kevinj

Snow Rules!!! I keep telling people that if it snowed in July I would be OK with that. Mine started when we would go up north (Rusk County / Pulaski Lake). I would fall asleep on the 74 Sno Jet sitting in front of my dad. When we were home, my brother and I "cut trails" through the backyards of several neighbors (Elmhurst, IL). We would tape a flashlight to the front of a big wheel and he would push me through the trails in the evenings. Also, mid-summer, I would dig out my hat, mittens, and a scarf and ride my scooter through the house making snowmobile noises. Sad to say at 43 y.o. I still make snowmobile noises when I fast forward a dvr'ed showed!!!!

timo

for me one of the things i like is when we trailer four hours up north is just catching up with my buddies who I see don't see much of. Just enjoying catching up on families, kids, jobs, politics and sports,, whatever the topic of conversation maybe. A couple of my riding buddies, I don't golf with, wives ain't close, don't necessarily hang with my other friends or couples,,,so the only 2 maybe 3 times I see them is when we ride. So just catching up on life on the ride up, I look forward too as much as hitting the trails.

Grew up on a farm in western mn and dad would get two new sleds every couple of years so had old Ski Doo Elan, TNT, Everest, Formulas etc. Neighbors all had them and now boys and I ride and go on trips. Wife has gone on a few trips but but would rather sip wine and go scrapbooking. at low 50s i still get the itch and love riding locally along with No. Mn and the UP trips. nothing like bombing down a trail or field in the white gold.

xcr440

All great reasons! I enjoy hearing about people liking winter and snow as much as I do, who are considered by so many to be on the crazy bus!

For me personally, I was brought up on snowmobiles. Its been in my blood for as long as I can remember. There is nothing like being out there in the snow on a snowmobile! Some of my favorite memories are planning for and getting caught in situations like this one:
95E58B7C-006D-4EAD-8F4F-713061C183DD.jpg

snomoman

Oh the snowmobile lore is rich and thick in this thread, thank you for that, honestly don’t know where to start with all the stories I have, all I can think of is just enjoying that beautiful new snow, it seems like it quiets everything it down when it’s snowing, I guess the moisture absorbs the sound?.. it’s such a beautiful thing to experience, hope to enjoy it more and more as long as I am on this earth

Iowarider

No bugs. Stopping late at night along trail with a light snow and laying back resting on the seat looking up as it snows. Nice and peaceful.

euphoric1

have been doing it as long as I can remember and for all the same reasons..the peace, tranquility and beauty of it all, its like being in another world, one that I will never get tired of, and just as snomoman stated I hope I can do this as long as I am on this earth, or until my body says I cant ( and its really going to have to be yelling at me before I call it quits ) and honestly, unless you just cant handle the cold, I don't know how you couldn't like it, once you've tried it.

Last edited:

mrbb

I have always loved snow since a small kid, from playing in it to working in it
one of my fav things to do as a small kid was following new fresh tracks from deer and other animals in a fresh snow fall, couldn't tell you how many miles I tracked tracks as a kid
lead me to learn a ton about wildlife and just kept me interested more and more into new snow falling to see new tracks
I also find plowing snow, rather de stressing, I can spend hours doing it and never bothers me at all
HECK< when I first got a plow, I used to go around plowing neighbors out without ever even asking them if they wanted, got yelled at by a few that didn;t like me doing it LOL
thought I was helping them out, but guess they felt other wise?/
and I still plow folks out every snow fall here for free, never take a dime off anyone one, I just enjoy it!
when I had my last dog I used to plow a few logging/coal mine roads open about 3+ miles worth every snow fall to be able to walk the dog in the woods and not have to trudge thru snow
old guys at gun club used to think I was nuts!(they still do)

lh7018

I definitely share all of the above sentiments. But I have a more scientifical explanation for myself....

I was born in the Chicago area in 1967. That year there was an epic snowstorm that, even today, serves as a benchmark of sorts for any major snow event in the Chicago area. One day I had an epiphany. My birthday is in the fall of that year. Hmmm. A little elementary math, human gestation period, and a calendar and theorized that according to my calculations there was a high probability that I was conceived during this epic snow event. Time to prove the theory. I cornered my mother and griiled her. No Miranda rights, her attorney not present, and she never pleaded the 5th Amendment. After a lengthy interrogation and a threat or two of waterboarding she finally confessed...and turned a few shades of red. Poor soul.
Bottom line...scientifically, affinity to snow is cathartically in my DNA.
That's my story, data and witness proven, and I'm sticking to it.