WINTER STORM WARNING FOR THE KEWEENAW

mezz

I don't know how much more bizarre this weather can get. 2 days ago, we had 6-8" of wet heavy slop, then it rained. Temps cooled last night into the 20's & had some intermittent LES early this morning. Icy beneath the fresh snow, just about went down taking the garbage out this morning. NWS has us painted for up to 8" in the lower elevations with up to a foot or more in the higher elevations like Calumet & South Range to Twin Lakes. Winds are expected to gust to 35+ mph creating low visibility. The warning begins at 2pm this afternoon through 8am Thursday. Dollars to donuts schools will be cancelled tomorrow. Go figure, I guess this is March signing off as a lion.

hermie

You could be correct Paul. I know back in February they got just over a foot of lake effect and we went up and rode and it wasn't too bad. I guess it's wait and see if they get enough to take a little ride. Can go for a little ride and hit up Henry's for the ham and cheese sandwich

pclark

Hermie, it’s just been a bad season as you know. Even with 8” Monday I thought about just taking a ride down the road but the road had so much slush snow it would be like riding across a lake and slipping off the hard pack trail. Not worth it in my opinion and the trails would have big water holes and lots of mud.

whitedust

Unbelievable that Vilas hasn’t called it yet must be political for some reason as it’s been obvious trails won’t open this season?🤷‍♂️

hermie

The snow eagles said on Monday due to the rain that was coming that trails would not open this season. I did see tracks on the trails around here in St.Germain. This would of made a great base if it was December. For me I always love seeing snow. I just love winter and snow.

whitedust

The snow eagles said on Monday due to the rain that was coming that trails would not open this season. I did see tracks on the trails around here in St.Germain. This would have made a great base if it was December. For me I always love seeing snow. I just love winter and snow.
As you know it’s all or nothing in Vilas so doesn’t really matter what 1 town releases it’s a county club vote which appears to play out thru the 31 th. Only thing I can think there or political ramifications for accommodation establishments cancellation policies so the county won’t officially close the trails. Imo it’s like charging for a service that a provider never intends to provide or complete. We all saw this coming like the rising tide but technically the trails are closed but officially can open thru March 31th. What a bunch of horse poop imo. Lol.

mezz

Mezz if you get the snow do you think trails would be rideable?
Not a chance, the ground has been warming & it melts pretty quickly. Too many hazards to turn up, I wouldn't recommend it even if it were a slow melt. A road rip would be about all that I would venture to do if I were still in it.

hermie

Not a chance, the ground has been warming & it melts pretty quickly. Too many hazards to turn up, I wouldn't recommend it even if it were a slow melt. A road rip would be about all that I would venture to do if I were still in it.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but we gave it a go. Stayed on trail 3. Took off from Pat's and rode to Hancock and turned around. Trails were not too bad overall. There were a few water holes but nothing crazy. Actually a bunch of other people had the same idea. I am guessing over 15" of fresh by Krupps. The snow was over our front grab bars. Overall glad we went not too many days can you be on trail 3 with the snow flying over your hood. Personally can't stop smiling. Was a crappy year but what a way to end it. PXL_20240328_190756158.jpg PXL_20240328_190315889.jpg PXL_20240328_185027545.jpg

Last edited:

ddhanna

As you know it’s all or nothing in Vilas so doesn’t really matter what 1 town releases it’s a county club vote which appears to play out thru the 31 th. Only thing I can think there or political ramifications for accommodation establishments cancellation policies so the county won’t officially close the trails. Imo it’s like charging for a service that a provider never intends to provide or complete. We all saw this coming like the rising tide but technically the trails are closed but officially can open thru March 31th. What a bunch of horse poop imo. Lol.
They're all in Florida and could care less.