Wisconsin AB 407 / SB 343 - Snowmobile registration, trail use sticker and funding

snowshoe

I thought that since this bill seems to actually be moving through the legislative process unlike other attempts, it would be worth a thread to describe what AB 407/SB 343 does. I think we can have a civil conversation about it because I know we all (or at least 99%) agree that the snowmobile program in Wisconsin needs both an increase in funding and manpower.

You can read AB 407 here and the most Amendment 1 here. Amendment 1 was introduced 10/17 by Rep. Czaja(R) from the 35th district, basically the Antigo, Merrill and Tomahawk area. There is also Senate Bill 343 offered by Senator Gudex(R) from Fon du Lac.

According to the AB 407 and Amendment 1 this is what it will cost to ride in Wisconsin.

• Out of state trail pass is raised from $35 to $50.
  • Wisconsin registered sleds
    • A non-club member will pay:
$30 every 2 years for sled registration
+$35 yearly for a trail pass (includes $.75 to sales vendor)​
Total $65

• [*=1]A Club member will pay:
$30 every 2 years for sled registration
$20 Club membership dues​
+$15 yearly trail pass (includes $.75 to sales vendor)
Total $65

AB 407-1 also does a couple other things.

• Vintage sleds 30 years or older are exempt from purchasing a trail use sticker. They still need to be registered
  • $5 penalty for trail use stickers issued on or after December 1st
    • The idea here is to smooth out the spikes in trail use with low snow years
  • Increases the supplemental multiplier from $32 to $49.25.
    • This number is multiplied by the amount of trail use stickers in the previous fiscal year

The Bill is currently in the Assembly Committee on Tourism and the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Small Business, and Tourism.

xcr440

So the bottom line is, JOIN A CLUB, and give the money to them instead of the DNR.

Also, no advantage for multiple state registrations, unless again, you want to give the money to a club.

jr37

It's not perfect, but it is good. I hope it passes or it will be years before we get the funding that is needed.

renegade

Yes, in most cases it is a yearly cost. If your club is a member of The AWSC, then it comes with a small death/dismemberment insurance policy, and I beleive it may cover your family, but look into that, don't take my word for it. It will be $3000 this year, up from $2500. This bill not perfect, but its needed and I would be happy to support it.

united

Ummm, NO. Club members and non-club members pay the same at $65?

I understand the need to get more people in clubs, but is this the way to do it? NO. Non club members and club members pay the SAME. No incentive for the non-club member to join a club. So why all the complicated BS?

Why do WI residents need an extra permit? Just roll it into the current registration and add a discount to club members.

What are the goals of this? What do we get for the increased cost?

Sounds like double work. There will be a loss of control, in that the permit fees and registration fees will be increased independently of each other which will lead to ever higher pricing on both. And to top it all off who wants an extra sticker?

Want more club members, offer a discount to join a club.

xcr440

I understand the need to get more people in clubs, but is this the way to do it? NO. Non club members and club members pay the SAME. No incentive for the non-club member to join a club. So why all the complicated BS?
The point (I think) is to get the money into the Clubs, not the DNR. The clubs need the money, the DNR does not. The clubs do all the trail work, the DNR does not.

united

Is the $20 for members of a club intended to replace regular club membership dues?

As stated in the OP "$20 Club membership dues"

snobinge

Ummm, NO. Club members and non-club members pay the same at $65?

Why do WI residents need an extra permit? Just roll it into the current registration and add a discount to club members.

What are the goals of this? What do we get for the increased cost?

Sounds like double work. There will be a loss of control, in that the permit fees and registration fees will be increased independently of each other which will lead to ever higher pricing on both. And to top it all off who wants an extra sticker?

Want more club members, offer a discount to join a club.

X2

united

The point (I think) is to get the money into the Clubs, not the DNR. The clubs need the money, the DNR does not. The clubs do all the trail work, the DNR does not.

No, I don't think so. The DNR will get an additional $15 per year on every trail permit plus an extra $20 on top of that on every non-member permit. Which I believe will be an extra $35 per permit into the pocket of the DNR per year for the majority of permits sold with no incentive to join a club and no guarantee on how that money is spent. Sounds like great deal, for the DNR.

Let's not all get crazy now. I want more club members and more money to the clubs but this does not seem to be the way. I mean adding the permit for in state residents alone should be a red flag.

tman

I come up with $50.00 a year member or non-member with this bill. Right now a non-member pays $15.00 a year and non-member $35.00 or more annually, I think the club I belong to is $25.00 a year dues. Join a club or pay a $50.00 trail sticker price, a club member should get a break on the price. Stickers could be issued with club membership. Or just jack up registration for everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

oops! should read........... Right now a non-member pays $15.00 a year and club member $35.00 or more annually

xcr440

No, I don't think so. The DNR will get an additional $15 per year on every trail permit plus an extra $20 on top of that on every non-member permit. Which I believe will be an extra $35 per permit into the pocket of the DNR per year for the majority of permits sold with no incentive to join a club and no guarantee on how that money is spent. Sounds like great deal, for the DNR.

Let's not all get crazy now. I want more club members and more money to the clubs but this does not seem to be the way. I mean adding the permit for in state residents alone should be a red flag.

Yes, there is a larger fee for ALL, but if you join a club, $20 goes directly to the club, instead of the DNR. Isn't that what the clubs want? One way or another? I know, and you know, the DNR is not going to cut what it takes in. And as you pointed out, non club members paying the fees increase the DNR cut. But if we can get people to simply join a club, even if they do NOTHING, $20 will go to the club now, vs. none of it.

renegade

Iv'e got an email in to find out how the money will be dispursed in the new bill, and If I can't get a response, I sure hope it will be explained at the convention, as there will be tons of questions about this.

renegade

Got a response already. There is a workshop titled Cap/Step at the convention Nov. 2. All my questions will be addressed there and I'm guessing much more. Thinking this will be a packed room! They also gave me a number to call, but think I will wait to get paperwork in hand at the convention.

jr37

Got a response already. There is a workshop titled Cap/Step at the convention Nov. 2. All my questions will be addressed there and I'm guessing much more. Thinking this will be a packed room! They also gave me a number to call, but think I will wait to get paperwork in hand at the convention.

There are 2 CAP/STEP workshop sessions that day. 1 pm and 2:30 pm, I plan to get in the first one.

united

So it's $15 a year now and it is going to go to $65 a year, quite a drastic increase. $65 is the price if you are in a club or not in a club. There is no incentive to join a club in this bill and why would someone who is not in a club now all of sudden magically switch to joining a club?

There were approximately 225,000 registered snowmobiles in WI last year. According to the AWSC there are about 25,000 club members. That means the DNR is going to get an ADDITIONAL $15 on every sled per year. PLUS an ADDITIONAL $20 on the 200,000 sleds that are not club members (true a lot of club members own more than one sled, but still.).

Total of registered sleds 225,000 - additional $15 per year to the DNR
Approximate non-member sleds 200,000 - additional $20 per year to the DNR
Approximate member sleds 25,000 - $20 back to clubs

(Approximate numbers, members may own more than one sled).

Does this over triple price increase sound like a sensible way to spend OUR money?

Don't forget out of state permits and the additional $5 fee for everyone purchasing the annual permit after December 1st. Come on.

Is the $20 back to the club intended to replace current dues as stated in the OP?

Let's not get overly focused and starry eyed on the $20 back to the club. The real story is every sled is going from $15 to $65 a year and some people like it? This would be a cash cow for the DNR.

There probably will not be an extra trail permit sticker, just the normal one.

renegade

Its a needed increase. Its a couple million short every year. We will be more in line with other states and there yearly costs of permits. Been to Michigan lately? And is not $65 a year, it's about $50. That is nearly one tank of gas if I am empty. I will wait to see how the money gets disbursed before I decide on the whole bill itself. I'm going to assume it will be fine, we will see in a few weeks.

xcsp

Unless I missed something, it will be $50/year if you are/aren't a member of a club (if the membership dues are $20).
The $30 registration is for 2 years.

Now, what takes place if you have 4 sleds in a family and have a club family membership of $25? Good deal for the family, not so much for the intent of generating more funds for the trail system.

Why not just make it a flat fee of $45 or $50 a year for registration per sled and forget about the yearly trail permit fee, how much does it cost for producing and administering them?? AND make sure the money gets where it needs to go!!

jr37

The common theme I hear is that this money is for the DNR. The money generated from this increase will go to the snowmobile program. The money may be sent to the DNR, but it does not go into a general fund, it goes into the snowmobile program. This money will be brought back to the clubs. The clubs are the ones that need the funds. Please look at this as a benefit to the clubs that need the extra funding. These are the clubs that are providing nice trails for the 200,000 non-club members that ride a snowmobile and the other 25,000 snowmobilers that are a club member. I welcome extra money for the clubs of this fine state.