Wisconsin Trail Pass - thumbs down

funsledn

Non-resident last year could still buy them over the counter and get sticker. Now we can't.

Seems pretty dumb to jus get a paper saying it's bought and will be sent. So DNR gonna stop all of us to check??
Why should we buy them ahead if we don't know if there will be snow for your planned trip?
Why should I have to give out my Soc. Sec. # on line to buy a pass, Don't want to put that on line.
Do I have to give my Soc Sec # to some person in a hardware store that I don't know to get the paper?? Don't want to do that.

Heck jus get the stickers from the local group that went last week, the stickers should be in their mailbox by now, heck they don't need them anymore??

Guess it was too easy to jus buy them when we get there and know there is snow and we need
them
Wisconsin Snowmobile Association and DNR , Why did they do this??

Michigan here we come

Last edited:

1fujifilm

Non-resident last year could still buy them over the counter and get sticker. Now we can't.

Seems pretty dumb to jus get a paper saying it's bought and will be sent. So DNR gonna stop all of us to check??
Why should we buy them ahead if we don't know if there will be snow for your planned trip?
Why should I have to give out my Soc. Sec. # on line to buy a pass, Don't want to put that on line.
Do I have to give my Soc Sec # to some person in a hardware store that I don't know to get the paper?? Don't want to do that.

Heck jus get the stickers from the local group that went last week, the stickers should be in their mailbox by now, heck they don't need them anymore??

Guess it was too easy to jus buy them when we get there and know there is snow and we need
them
Wisconsin Snowmobile Association and DNR , Why did they do this??

Michigan here we come

I feel your pain as I ordered online too.
WI trails are toast, keep going to MI where the real snow is.

Bear

machzdoo

Residents can not even get a trail pass over the counter anymore. And the DNR cut its hours way back. Hours are 11 am to 2 pm Monday thru Thursday. I went to buy a trail pass at 1130 on a Tuesday and the DNR was closed. There was 12 cars in the parking lot in back so I called them. I was told the counter person was sick and I had to come back another day but I should call first.

Seriously you can't buy a non resident trail pass over the counter? I live right on the border of Wisconsin and ride with quite a few people who live there and have always bought one at the gas station. Not the end of the world but certainly inconvenient.

ezra

Seriously you can't buy a non resident trail pass over the counter? I live right on the border of Wisconsin and ride with quite a few people who live there and have always bought one at the gas station. Not the end of the world but certainly inconvenient.

total joke the printer is still there .
just eat more admin cost for no reason other than ?dui checks with out prob cause

More than a little frustrated here in Wisconsin also, Wife sent in the money for 5 sleds, stickers come for 4 sleds, all separate envelopes, still waiting for the last one, after a week she calls and they say it should be on the way, still doesn't show up, calls again because we were headed up for new years, said it was returned to them unable to deliver, she stated 4 other ones got delivered to the same address, can you resend it, nope, can't be resent to that address! She had to have it sent with our name on it to a relatives address, just got it, unbelievable...

dfattack

More than a little frustrated here in Wisconsin also, Wife sent in the money for 5 sleds, stickers come for 4 sleds, all separate envelopes, still waiting for the last one, after a week she calls and they say it should be on the way, still doesn't show up, calls again because we were headed up for new years, said it was returned to them unable to deliver, she stated 4 other ones got delivered to the same address, can you resend it, nope, can't be resent to that address! She had to have it sent with our name on it to a relatives address, just got it, unbelievable...

That's Nuts!

snobuilder

Sorry to hear about this mess when purchasing through DNR. I was one of the club members who was against cap step based on added beurocracy alone.

The good news is that when buying trail permits through the AWSC as a club member the process got me my stickers in 5 days....all in ONE envelope as well....LOL.

T

Tracker

you guys have had it easy for years...welcome to Indiana sled registration procedures...we have had that one envelope per sticker crud for years....and you had to call some secretary....just one girl for the whole state....and she would type vin numbers wrong and all kinds of stuff....stickers wouldn't come for months and I mean 6 months....this is what happens when ya'll beotch aboot the sticker.....everyone beotched aboot them....so.....they revamped the system....shouldn't said anything and just paid the fee IMO.....and if ya'll keep beotching aboot trails....they will revamp that too....guess what happened....we aren't allowed to ride beside the road now in most parts with population.....they reduced areas to just 6 state trails with the longest at 26 miles.....why johnny? because all the pedal bikers caught wind of it and over road the sledding community with numbers and voted no motorized vehicles on all trails now....sometimes its better to be an ostrich instead of an eagle.....my 2c

byr 13

trail pass 's are a joke , you can ride horses , jog , walk , etc and don't need one

use da welfare $$$ to groom da trails

Swampy

I ordered my trail pass the 1st of November to stay ahead of the game. Never received it. Called AWSC and they said they would contact the DNR... WHAT?? Don't get me wrong, they were very nice on the phone, but now what? My paper receipt that I printed expired like 3 weeks after the purchase. I'm all for the money staying local when you join a club and we definitely need more dollars for trail maintenance but this system seems to be getting worse. I figured they would work out some bugs after last year. Well, time to go check the mail...

snobuilder

I ordered my trail pass the 1st of November to stay ahead of the game. Never received it. Called AWSC and they said they would contact the DNR... WHAT?? Don't get me wrong, they were very nice on the phone, but now what? My paper receipt that I printed expired like 3 weeks after the purchase. I'm all for the money staying local when you join a club and we definitely need more dollars for trail maintenance but this system seems to be getting worse. I figured they would work out some bugs after last year. Well, time to go check the mail...

So you have a cc statement with a AWSC charge but no stickers?

legend02

Just reading this post and seeing that I'm going up next Thursday that I won't have a sticker sounds like Wisconsin is trying to make more money by giving everybody tickets would can't buy a trail permit or forgets do you have a paper copy of the applied permit

Since were staying in Watersmeet I guess we'll just stay in the UP and dip in the Wisconsin illegally

EXCESSIVE FORCE

Ordered mine early Dec from the AWSC and received them pretty quick . Two passes in one envelope...I ordered an additional pass 3 weeks ago,and got it quick too...Club member of course....The Janesville DNR office has better hours than previously posted for other offices.

chunk06

The whole separate sticker deal has kept the part timers sleds sitting in the sheds unregistered with no stickers. I know of several. When S WI had trails open before X mas I got a text from a buddy with an old sled that said, we need trail stickers Now? His sled was on Craigslist the following day. I know we needed more funding but the sticker with no snow is pushing people away.

snobinge

I ordered 3 passes online from AWSC. 2 at one time and another as I acquired another machine. Process was seamless and passes arrived in a few days. I do agree you should be able to get them over the counter.