Wolf Attack

ezra

in the last 10 yrs there have been 24 deadly wolf attacks in the World .
I believe there have been more fatal attacks by beaver
guess I am not to worried to go hiking in the great white north for fear of wolf attacks.
I can tell u in my parts coyotes have been on the rise in numbers big time. I dont go a week with out seeing one some place in the Metro. including a park down town.
lots of small dogs get taken down around the TC metro

renegade

As the wolf population increases these attacks will increase as well. When the wolf population was at its peak, people were most likely carrying a weapon and shooting them to kill, now people are hiking and sleeping in tents, its only a matter of time before a desperate young male, who is forced out of the pack to find his own territory and hunt on his own, kills a smaller child. Hope Im wrong but it is completely plausible to me.

ezra

I am fine with the hunt .just saying I my self am no more concerned with camping in N MN than snorkeling in the Bahamas.
when your number is up its up

durphee

more vegetarians are killed by E coli in spinach than by wolves, thats my rationale for not being a vegan. BUT hunting wolves to balance the environment is an important process. Keep the prey/predator numbers in balance and these attacks will be very rare.

whitedust

I was waiting for it to happen but hoped it would not. Too many wolves & people in same area not good. I watched a pack off 107 on an unplowed FR near Watersmeet maybe in 3 feet of snow & they were romping down the road like there was 3" not 3 feet. I was alone sat there watched then thought "crap I'm getting out here not sure what they are thinking"? Next day contacted Mrs Runningbear & she said the DNR had that pack registered so figured it was ok. WOW they were big wolves!

samc

This incident happened roughly 25 miles North of our cabin in Longville. We saw 2 wolves last year while out 4 wheeling near the cabin and while their population is increasing, attacks on humans is very rare. The population does need to be managed just like everything else.

jr37

We have them in our area. With 2 young boys that enjoy the outdoors, I would not hessitate to plug the next one that spends just enough time in the yard to get the cross hairs on.

coldbear

Our area is over run with coyotes. They work the 22kv power line trails killing the invalid deer. I was driving the other day and stopped to see 2 German Shepherds off their restraints. After clearing my eyes, these two dogs were coyotes. Weight was over 120 lbs., kind of makes one think how much tearing power these animals can produce. We can't keep a cat around here. The coyotes tear em' apart.

blutooth

Our area is over run with coyotes. They work the 22kv power line trails killing the invalid deer. I was driving the other day and stopped to see 2 German Shepherds off their restraints. After clearing my eyes, these two dogs were coyotes. Weight was over 120 lbs., kind of makes one think how much tearing power these animals can produce. We can't keep a cat around here. The coyotes tear em' apart.

You might want to check those things out. Coyotes only get around 50 lbs... Maybe a shepard/coyote hybrid? I'm all for a controlled hunt for the wolves. We just got one in WI last year.

It is interesting to read that while the wolf is thriving in the Upper Penninsula (and most of the traditional habitat of the lower 48), the population on Isle Royale is down to 8 from a peak of 50 in the early 90s. Scientists blame it on the lack of an ice bridge between the island and the mainland, maybe it has more to due with the abundance of domestic animals further south leading to easier meals...

Hoosier

I was waiting for it to happen but hoped it would not. Too many wolves & people in same area not good. I watched a pack off 107 on an unplowed FR near Watersmeet maybe in 3 feet of snow & they were romping down the road like there was 3" not 3 feet. I was alone sat there watched then thought "crap I'm getting out here not sure what they are thinking"? Next day contacted Mrs Runningbear & she said the DNR had that pack registered so figured it was ok. WOW they were big wolves!

You said the DNR had them registered - did they also have trail permits?

anonomoose

You might want to check those things out. Coyotes only get around 50 lbs... Maybe a shepard/coyote hybrid? I'm all for a controlled hunt for the wolves. We just got one in WI last year.
the population on Isle Royale is down to 8 from a peak of 50 in the early 90s. Scientists blame it on the lack of an ice bridge between the island and the mainland......

I have followed this "study" for years, and last I heard they blamed the crashing population of moose on heavy outbreak of fleas....

In a controlled environment such as Isle royal, the population should go up and down in rhythm with the food supply which is moose and beaver. But the wolves have just eaten themselves out of moose which was quite high until the wolf found them and they have been in steady decline since then.

While I don't worry about an attack either, ignorance is bliss sometimes and if in the right circumstances and right conditions wolves like any other prey animal will take and kill outside the boundaries of the normal. Bears do this too...and while most of the time they will get out of dodge when they see humans, every now and again, they surprise everyone and kill and eat a human it saw as a potential food source at a time they needed to eat. While I don't advocate that we shoot every one we see, putting them on a list so you can't manage them is senseless and pure foolishness.