Wood burner in modular - New cottage

bedgar7

I recently purchased a 'cottage' in northern MI I put it in quotes since its a 1500sf modular with a full basement. My question is in the following... I would like to install a wood burner/insert in the house. It already has a fireplace but these fireplaces pretty much junk. I would like to install the burner as an insert in the fireplace so I dont loose the floor space. Does anyone know if this is possible or what I would be getting into?

Marty

We have a Lopi insert, the freedom bay, saves a small fortune on propane. The Lopi's cost more, but if you go with one of them, a stainless chimney liner, then fill around the liner, you will be all set for a long time. If the liner sticks out of the top of the brick chimney be sure and use double wall pipe, wherever the chimney is directly exposed to the cold air, rain, snow, thats where the creasote builds up the fastest.

ezra

most insurance corp would rather have you use a insert than a standard fire place.I dont see why a insert would be any diff in a mod than a conventanal home.you use a stainless liner on both

snow_monkey

most insurance corp would rather have you use a insert than a standard fire place.I dont see why a insert would be any diff in a mod than a conventanal home.you use a stainless liner on both

Lopi's are very good also you may want to check the different types of blowers they offer. My overnighter has 2 2 1/2 tubes that run through the hot coals. It gets so hot in the living room we wear shorts and open the sliding doorwall.

L

lenny

heck, in a mobile home, a pelltet stove would rock, safer if you have people whjo never have burned wood before, just on option many do not consider. Home Depot has some for 1000 bucks

bedgar7

I have been looking at the lopi freedom stove mostly because it has the taperd shape and this fireplace is rather small to begin with. I am thinking a wood stove compared to pellet because I have plenty of wood to burn. My main concern is that the fireplace is not a true brick fireplace like a stick built house but is sort of a metal insert itself. I just dont know if that would be a problem or not.

snow_monkey

I have been looking at the lopi freedom stove mostly because it has the taperd shape and this fireplace is rather small to begin with. I am thinking a wood stove compared to pellet because I have plenty of wood to burn. My main concern is that the fireplace is not a true brick fireplace like a stick built house but is sort of a metal insert itself. I just dont know if that would be a problem or not.

The main thing I would imagine would be the clearance. Spend the extra money for good stainless double or triple wall pipe, codes probably require it. You would have to check the exhaust requirements of the stove. The pipe going to my stove is whatever the standard is 8 to 10 inch in diameter. Long as the chimmney has not deteriorated you may be able to line it with another pipe. I would make sure and check with someone who knows the in and outs of the install to make sure you and your family are safe.

mezz

bedgar, my recommendation would be to replace the existing unit with a better grade unit than what is there right now. Get a reputable HVAC contractor to do this for you. When it comes to Modular/ Mobile home installations, there are particulars with proper clearances & the units intended use. More than likely, the unit that is in there now was only intended for athstetic purposes, not necessarily as a heat supplement. Your reference to a "Traditional" brick fire place which is commonly found in your stick built homes are only intended for athstetic's, not for heat supplements. Those particular units, you can indeed put an insert in them for use as a heat supplement. While you are at it, check the existing chimney, you may want to replace it to match the use of the intended use of the wood heat. More than likely it is a double wall stainless stack in there right now. Keep in mind, those chimney's do not have a long life expectancy, if possible, I would consider a block chimney with a tile liner, much safer & will last for many years. Another alternative that lenny mentioned is a pellet stove, which are pretty effective & burn quite clean & do not require a "chimney", they are power vented like a high efficiency gas boiler. Wood is nice, but just remember this, there is a lot of heat in it before you can burn it! LOL!-Mezz

anonomoose

Ubee is right....your insurance companies hate woodstoves and they can really make it hard for you to put one in.

That being said, I agree with others that if you are going to do it, make sure you tear out the stuff you have there now because almost all of those units were not made for high heat conditions a woodstove can create.

While wood is cheap and is very nice way to heat the place when you are there....it requires far more work to keep it up and running and each year as you drive by a place that burned down demonstrates both the insurance company concerns and the very real dangers to burning wood.

If you install it right and maintain it....there is no finer heat. As the costs of conventional fuels increase the benefits to wood heat become greater and greater.

Just be safe....not worth losing family or relatives because someone walked away and left the door open on the stove.

L

lenny

Ubee is right....your insurance companies hate woodstoves and they can really make it hard for you to put one in.

That being said, I agree with others that if you are going to do it, make sure you tear out the stuff you have there now because almost all of those units were not made for high heat conditions a woodstove can create.

While wood is cheap and is very nice way to heat the place when you are there....it requires far more work to keep it up and running and each year as you drive by a place that burned down demonstrates both the insurance company concerns and the very real dangers to burning wood.

If you install it right and maintain it....there is no finer heat. As the costs of conventional fuels increase the benefits to wood heat become greater and greater.

Just be safe....not worth losing family or relatives because someone walked away and left the door open on the stove.

very well said bud!!!!another reason why pellet stoves are desirable. Not trying to persuade you but sometimes I loose sleep over my wood stove, worried if the house caught fire even though it is installed correct. many things to forget, flue open to much and the fire is roaring, kids set boots by it and tip over, many things to worry about. maybe you have all that worked out, you know what works best for you.

I have a friend in Illinois who is renting a house and brought his old stove to his new rental. He asked me about venting his stove into a masonry chimney in the living room with no clay liner. I told him that is a big no no but he did it anyways. He works nights and the kids maintain the fire and I cringe so much just thinking about the whole situation. Places do burn down, it's a reality and people die. Understand combustibles and set backs and don't think it's close enough,,,, good luck