Yamaha owners- is tunnel ice build up fact or fiction?

slotour

Thinking about buying a Yamaha Venture or Venture Lite. I have heard and seen posts about ice problems in the tunnel. Anybody have experience either way? Any other issues?

tundra ron

Buy a regular Venture plenty of power and room. I had a 06 that had 16000 miles on it very little trouble. The engine ran better at 16000 then when new. I did replace the clutch on it because of towing other sled out of the woods. These Venture are fast and have good flotation not a good off trail machine.

kip

Ron is correct. You will not have ice build up with regular Venture. You will get some with the Venture Lite. I have a used Venture here in very good condition. It's a 2005 and a one owner.

slotour

Thanks for the replies. The Yamaha site does have a thread about the icing. I was wondering if it was a small group of people were exagerating the problem. My problem is the width of the seat for the passenger. It seems that the 2012 Venture Lite is narrower than the Venture in the passenger area. My wife is small and finds narrower more comfortable. What may be a small difference is a big difference to her comfort and amount of time she can be on the sled. She finds the Polaris IQ LXT Turbo most comfortable, but that sled has a poor history. I sold a 2011 Polaris 550 IQ LXT and want to improve ride and comfort.

F

fusion

FACT - get used to it if you buy a Yamaha. The colder it is, the worse the icing gets. And when you come out in the morning, you will have the clunking and crashing of all the chunks running thru the tunnel and over the track as they loosen up.
Or - you can spend an hour a day chiseling chunks of ice out of the tunnel by hand. Always fun in 5 degree weather. Ahhh, the joys of Yam ownership.

whitedust

FACT - get used to it if you buy a Yamaha. The colder it is, the worse the icing gets. And when you come out in the morning, you will have the clunking and crashing of all the chunks running thru the tunnel and over the track as they loosen up.
Or - you can spend an hour a day chiseling chunks of ice out of the tunnel by hand. Always fun in 5 degree weather. Ahhh, the joys of Yam ownership.

Oh yes but what I did was put sled on rear jack run in reverse before & after a ride so ice buildup did nothing bad just added weight. I sprayed all different concotions on skid but still held ice but to me was just a weight issue if lifting the sled nothing more didn't affect handling at all. I must say to be fair my last leg home is thru powder on a lake so my 2s sleds did the same thing. The attak was less affected no grinding of the track like my 2s doos would do maybe rear exhaust helped just was not a problem with the yam so didn't think about it much just rode after1 st year.

dfattack

FACT: I have owned four venture GT's since 2003 and my current model is a 2013 Venture GT. I have never had any Icing problems. Can't speak for anyone else, but I have NEVER had the problem you are asking about. It sounds like Kip is a "call it like he sees it" kinda guy. My buddy Whitedust speaks highly of him so I would trust his opinion. Totallyyamaha is a good site for answers. They are Yamaha people so they won't simply throw stones at a brand name but will help to provide solutions to a problem...which is what we are all after anyway when you ask this type of question.

The ONLY complaints my wife has when she's a passenger (which is not what you are asking about I know...) is the rear grip warmers didn't get warm enough and the seat was a little wide for her since she's so small. Let's just say it's about wearing the proper undergarments if you know what I mean! ;)

Grip warmers were fixed by a kit I found on TotallyYamaha and it works awesome. Grip warmers work like the front ones do. $70/80 bucks. Money well spent.

If you want more details I can tell you where to get them if you decide to purchase a Venture.

Hope the helps you

whitedust

FACT: I have owned four venture GT's since 2003 and my current model is a 2013 Venture GT. I have never had any Icing problems. Can't speak for anyone else, but I have NEVER had the problem you are asking about. It sounds like Kip is a "call it like he sees it" kinda guy. My buddy Whitedust speaks highly of him so I would trust his opinion. Totallyyamaha is a good site for answers. They are Yamaha people so they won't simply throw stones at a brand name but will help to provide solutions to a problem...which is what we are all after anyway when you ask this type of question.

The ONLY complaints my wife has when she's a passenger (which is not what you are asking about I know...) is the rear grip warmers didn't get warm enough and the seat was a little wide for her since she's so small. Let's just say it's about wearing the proper undergarments if you know what I mean! ;)

Grip warmers were fixed by a kit I found on TotallyYamaha and it works awesome. Grip warmers work like the front ones do. $70/80 bucks. Money well spent.

If you want more details I can tell you where to get them if you decide to purchase a Venture.

Hope the helps you

On the lighter side Darren RU Outside sells a fleece G-string. I saw it at a snowshow stood there laughing to myself then this young lady from RU Outside asks me what is up & I pointed at the fleece G-string & she said "Oh that is 1 of our biggest sellers". Then we both laughed ....good times.:)

dfattack

On the lighter side Darren RU Outside sells a fleece G-string. I saw it at a snowshow stood there laughing to myself then this young lady from RU Outside asks me what is up & I pointed at the fleece G-string & she said "Oh that is 1 of our biggest sellers". Then we both laughed ....good times.:)

HaHaHa I will let her know! LOL :eek:

srt20

What we have been doing on the mtn sleds is putting a "wrap" on the inside of the tunnel. Not a fancy wrap per say, just some clear vinyl on. Keeps the snow from sticking. Obviously don't put the vinyl sticker on the tunnel coolers. I'm not sure what Yamaha has for tunnel cooling. Anyway, it helps build up for us.

otter

I have a 2012 venture gt and icing definately happens. I normally melt it off every nite in the garage, when not on a overnighter.

L

lenny

what Yammi machine were you experiencing all this icing up with?

swampcat

First of all,it is not just Yamahas that do this. Couple years ago while in Antigo,yes it was cold and snowey. Every morning we would all go out to warm up the machines and CLEAR CHUNKS. We had Polaris IQs,Switchbacks, Skidoo REVs and Yamaha Warrior and Attack. When we were done, we would stack the BLOCKS up, at the end of our 4 day adventure we had enough BLOCKS to start a Igloo. It would be safe to guess the blocks from the Warrior and the Switchback were in the 25-30 pound range. WE blamed it on the SNOW type and conditions, NOT THE MACHINES.

agriffinjd

My Nytro XTX ices up. I've spent mornings on my back with a screw driver breaking ice chunks. One time a chunk came free while starting out and jammed the track. Had to tip on it's side and wrestle it out. Each time you stop for a break, lift and drop the back end of the sled a couple times. I usually only have the problem after leaving the sled outside overnight, not during the day though.

With the exhaust coming out the rear of the sled, you'll get ice build up. One of the hoped-for advantages of the yamacat is the front-exit exhaust to avoid ice buildup. I've read on ty4stroke.com how some people have reduced the icing by riveting on a chunk of aluminum flashing under the muffler above the track. I've not done it so can't comment on how it works.

twistgrip

My Nytro XTX ices up. I've spent mornings on my back with a screw driver breaking ice chunks. One time a chunk came free while starting out and jammed the track. Had to tip on it's side and wrestle it out. Each time you stop for a break, lift and drop the back end of the sled a couple times. I usually only have the problem after leaving the sled outside overnight, not during the day though.

With the exhaust coming out the rear of the sled, you'll get ice build up. One of the hoped-for advantages of the yamacat is the front-exit exhaust to avoid ice buildup. I've read on ty4stroke.com how some people have reduced the icing by riveting on a chunk of aluminum flashing under the muffler above the track. I've not done it so can't comment on how it works.
I have a 2013 nitro xtx with a 1.75 track on it, bought new last year and it iced up on the back. Since then I put a Schmidt Bros tunnel block off plate on and its helped tremendously!

Hoosier

My 06 Fusion and my bud's 07 IQ both do this - bad if there's a lot of powder. Seems like the newer IQ's didn't do it since they re-ran some of the cooling. I'm going to try to spray something on it this year to see if it helps.