Yellowstone bike trip

polarisrider1

Just starting planning stage for an August trip. looking to include many places I ride in the winter. Looking for ideas, things to see and roads to "must" ride. Planning on Cooke City, Beartooth pass, Red Lodge, Gardiner, Yellowstone Park, Togwotee, West Yellowstone, and Jackson Hole area and Maybe Cody if time permits. Also what to not bother with. And will it be an issue with carbed bikes in the mtns. (This is a bucket list item for me)

Firecatguy

your already on the invite list just put "michigan 2014" or go look in events.....if you still have hard time let me know I can send you a link

I added you to our sturgis stuff so you can get idea our ride and motels

mikes99ss

Carbed bikes should do just fine. I had my 08 650 enduro out there and had no problems. You won't need or want power. Waaay to beautiful to worry about speed. Pic is from beartooth pass last year on the xr650l. Going back this year on the big bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20130911_164942_868.jpg
    IMG_20130911_164942_868.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 44

polarisrider1

your already on the invite list just put "michigan 2014" or go look in events.....if you still have hard time let me know I can send you a link

I added you to our sturgis stuff so you can get idea our ride and motels
Pat, I am kinda new to all this internet stuff. You may want to send a link for Michigan 2014.

elf

My wife and I did a tour of Colorado many years ago on a Honda Valkyrie interstate. I had called out to a dealer out there and asked the same questions about jetting and he just laughed and said that a Valkyrie has so much horsepower I'd never notice the difference. What a great trip. Rode out from WI and back, 3000+ miles for the trip and my wife was 5 months pregnant at the time. Figured it was our last chance to do that for at least 18 yrs! Got back and the following weekend the Valkyrie was traded in on a new AWD SUV for her. Still miss that bike!

Pizza Man

We've been out there many times.
The places you mentioned to visit are great.
You will not have a problem with your bike.
We like to ride to Sturgis, getting there at the end on the rally(not many people left), buy our shirts , etc and head for Cody.
From there we do Yellowstone, go down to Jackson Hole and back up through Yellowstone, then Cooke City, Beartooth,up to Red Lodge and then back down to take the Chief Joseph Highway and other roads back to Cody, over to Sturgis, ride the area for a day and then home.

Firecatguy

Wayne,

I can help ya out with places to stay ect if you have not finalized that....we are all booked the 4 nights in and around yellowstone and the hotels were filling up fast........when in Cody try Carter Mtn Hotel she still has some rooms left for that week but not many......cach creek lodge in Jackson has some open dates and great pricing.......west yellowstone.....good luck we took last 6 rooms at goldenwest for our dates......

now the fun part of looking up all the roads and sites.......

- - - Updated - - -

I can not recommend Rustic inn in Jackson enough!!great place with ton room but super $$$$$.....

ezra

My wife and I did a tour of Colorado many years ago on a Honda Valkyrie interstate. I had called out to a dealer out there and asked the same questions about jetting and he just laughed and said that a Valkyrie has so much horsepower I'd never notice the difference. What a great trip. Rode out from WI and back, 3000+ miles for the trip and my wife was 5 months pregnant at the time. Figured it was our last chance to do that for at least 18 yrs! Got back and the following weekend the Valkyrie was traded in on a new AWD SUV for her. Still miss that bike!
if u got that bike when they were first coming out your 18yrs is coming up. shortly after getting married my wife was doing copy for the new Valkyrie that was a sweet bike we got to keep one for about 2 mo

Firecatguy

got all the hotels and days taken care of now onto the planing of what to see........uncle Tom's point.....inspiration point......grand canyon of yellowstone.....old faithful.......artist point...my God their alot to see........Beartooth and Chief joseph....rodeo in Cody.....

Pizza Man

Quote-There's alot to see.
Yea, that's why we have been out there many times.
You can always find some place new to see.

elf

if u got that bike when they were first coming out your 18yrs is coming up. shortly after getting married my wife was doing copy for the new Valkyrie that was a sweet bike we got to keep one for about 2 mo

Ours was a 1999. Bought it when I worked at Polaris in the motorcycle group. We'd buy bikes to evaluate and then get rid of them. I think we paid close to $18000 for it, put 1500 miles on it and I bought it 6 months later for $10k. Put another 5000 miles on it and got 12K when I traded it in. it was a sweet ride, great for a long distance trip like that.

fusionfool

heading there july 26th...cant wait....
Heading out there July 19th, coming back this way the 26th. Then going to stay a few days south of Sturgis. We are staying this year at Cody, trailering out, then day rides from there. Think this will be more enjoyable, the wife will be ready to ride and enjoy the area and not be so tired from ride out.

Firecatguy

Heading out there July 19th, coming back this way the 26th. Then going to stay a few days south of Sturgis. We are staying this year at Cody, trailering out, then day rides from there. Think this will be more enjoyable, the wife will be ready to ride and enjoy the area and not be so tired from ride out.

wave as you go by......lol...we will be leaving Sturgis the 27th for Jellystone....

fusionfool

WOW is all we can say, staying here in Cody, and have toured most of the park and near by area's. Going down into the Grand Tetons today with a high of 67° will be a welcome cool down as yesterday was 101°. At 45 MPH or less through the park the HD was getting pretty warm. Be sure to do Beartooth pass while you are hear Firecatguy, you will love it. But dress warm

Attachments

• Beartooth.jpg
    Beartooth.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 47