Yet Another weather WTF

old abe

yeah I was thinking about him while reading this thread. However John has to use the same crappy models that get it so wrong so it's not so much him or even the sensationalized people on TV but where they are getting their info from. They report what the models say and probably do their own interpretation of that info but in the end it appears they rely on a combination of models and pick the most logical outcome based on their accumulated wisdom. At least that's what I gather from watching the snow church. Not blaming John but the models he relies on to forecast.

To be fair they aren't always wrong and in fact are correct the majority of the time. It's the armageddon events that seem to be mostly wrong. At least that's my opinion.
To that I say BRAVO! Perfect!

euphoric1

yeah I was thinking about him while reading this thread. However John has to use the same crappy models that get it so wrong so it's not so much him or even the sensationalized people on TV but where they are getting their info from. They report what the models say and probably do their own interpretation of that info but in the end it appears they rely on a combination of models and pick the most logical outcome based on their accumulated wisdom. At least that's what I gather from watching the snow church. Not blaming John but the models he relies on to forecast.

To be fair they aren't always wrong and in fact are correct the majority of the time. It's the armageddon events that seem to be mostly wrong. At least that's my opinion.
I agree, the sensationalism is just beyond stupid, some worse than others. as far as interpretation goes and yes I know there are a few different models and have heard some weathermen outright disagree with models, but I will use now as an example, I won't name the outlets, but one calling for 6-10 inches here yet, one saying 1 to 2, another stating 4 to 8 inches. And as snobuilder said some back peddling saying it was never about the snow, which anyone who has followed this from the start of the week knows that's not true. I guess I am curious how there can be such radical differences in interpretations? I like Johns forecasts, no hype, no drama and always uses the word..."potential"

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Real Estate and Snowstorms must be all alike. Location, location, location. We're 40 miles south of Green Bay and the snow has been falling all day. On radar, the snows go all the way back to Oklahoma City and it's heading this way, slowly. Yet 100 miles to our west....nothing. I'm looking at 6" of new snow since Midnight. Heck, I'm just glad it's not rain!! Think Snow, next week it could be you!

euphoric1

we have maybe a trace or a little more here in SE Wi, its my fault for putting plow on last night...sorry guys lol

misty_pines

The storm hit as advertised in the Minneapolis area with a good 6"-8". It never got above 0 during the entire snowfall. I was snow blowing this morning in an air temp of -13 a bit West of Minneapolis.

mezz

Here in the Keweenaw, we got another 7" for the day so far. Blizzard Warning in effect for tonight. So far the winds have been sporatic at best, but I'm sure it's gonna get fugly.....

snobuilder

Not saying I disagree with the above comments. But let's remember who allows a forum for those comments on JohnDee.com
He kinda owns the place. Just saying..... he forecasts the weather too. :)

Now, back to Cow Farts & Cute Weather Girls...
i get that and I love the JD.....BUT there was no hedging by the mass media weatherguessoligists that I took note of....not a this or that scenario.....maybe I missed something?....like 10 t0 15 inches of snow.

lesson is.....DON'T TRIFFLE WITH A SLEDDERS EMOTIONS!!!!!!!!!

SledTL

Is that unusual?
Usually when it drops below 5 the moisture just dries out. Even at like 10 pm last night it was puking big snow flakes down. Im NE of the metro and we got a good 7-8". Have probably over a foot on the ground right now and groomers out. Will get out and be able to enjoy my own trail work on Saturday which is a huge plus. It was cold as hell snow-blowing this morning though (-12). Ever since moving here from Chicago burbs I am convinced the weather people here do not over exaggerate. I don't know if its because its MN and its just accepted life here, but good god you would think the world is ending if the weather we have had over the past week happened just a few hours south of us.