06 fusion 600 bad volt regulater

frnash

OEM Engineering genius?

Izzit jus' me, or does it take some special kind of OEM engineering genius to put such a troublesome part as a voltage regulator in such an inconvenient (read: stoopid!) place?

zimmbob

how much did the dealer charge you for that?

It was at Tom's Polaris in Onto. Just looked up the bill on my old credit card statement. $211.14. Was a heck of a deal if you ask me. And they did it while we took a pit stop and got some food. Done in an hour.

Hoosier

Doesn't it seem like this is something that Polaris should cover? So many are having problems with the VR, and it seems that by redesigning the part they're acknowledging it was a bad design. My Fusion is obviously out of warrantee, but when I bought it last year it only had about 200 miles on it, therefore it was essentially only used for one season.

toolie

Recall would have been the noble thing to do but nothing quite like sticken it to the costumer. Just receive my VR today. Came with wire extensions and instructions on how to mount it. They say all you need to do is pull the can and pipe off to get at the wiring. I'm head off to the garage to install. I'll give an update when I'm done.

toolie

Well I have installed the VR and I have lights, hand and thumb warmers. Thanks to all for your input. You guys ROCK!!!!!

Hoosier

Babbitts is showing that part at $77 now. A few days ago it was over $150 unless I got my info wrong. Is this the right part: 2203794? You might want to double check that if you just bought it.

Thanks.

toolie

***!! That is the exact PN# I will be calling BABBITTS today. Yes it was fairly easy to replace. Just follow the instructions provide. Took me a coulple of hours to do. Thanks for the heads up on the price. I will post back and let you know.

toolie

I called babbitts and they said that PN# is not the correct price. Since there is a black arrow next to the PN# It was beinig updated so if you went through the order process it would change to $164.00. I will be keep an eye on that price. iusmit have you ordered the VF yet? Give babbitts a try and see if this is true.

Hoosier

I didn't actually order from Babbitts because I found a slightly better price and a better shipping option for me from partspitstop.com out of Grand Rapids. However, I called Babbitts before I posted earlier and they confirmed that the lower price was correct. And I went all the way through the ordering process except for confirming it (the last step), so I believe the new price is correct. So it sounds like we're getting conflicting info.

Another site I checked had it near $200, so my opinion is that Polaris just dropped the price on this part. Below is the info copied directly from my order confirmation email from partspitstop.com:

1 of 2203794 - SUBSTITUTED BY 2203794 (4011440) @ $70.75ea.

Subtotal: $70.75

If I were you, I'd probably push a little harder on Babbitts or call your credit card company. I hope I ordered the correct part. I know that the price was higher at Babbitts yesterday.

Hoosier

I just checked it again at babbitts because I was curious. I went all the way to "submit order." The following is copied from Babbitts:

SKU Item Price Qty Ext
2203794 SUBSTITUTED BY 2203794 (4011440) $77.26 1 $77.26

Ship Method Estimated Delivery Date
UPS Ground Jan 21,2010 to Jan 22,2010
Subtotal: $77.26

Shipping & Handling: $14.62

Sales Tax: $0.00

Grand Total: $91.88

toolie

I too went all the way to the submit part of the order and then called babitts. They told me I could submit that order $95.29 with shipping but I would be contacted and told that it is not the correct amount and would have pay the adjusted amount to $181.26 with shipping. They tell me this that the pricing is in the hands of polaris. But they couldn't tell me why the price had drop to $77.26 which is incorrect. iusmit, please let me know if the place you ordered from (can't remember the name) pulls this crap with you. If not I am done with BABBITTS. Thanks.

Hoosier

I'll keep you updated once it hits my credit card.

By the way, I think that black arrow just means the part number was replaced by a different part number.

toolie

Well i finally had to send in the dogs after Babbits. My wife is real good in negotiations. After about a 1/2 hour of back and forth they finally knocked off $36.00 off the original price which was $164.00. They told my wife that they gave it to us at cost. Either they are lieing or polaris made a big mistake on there pricing. So i guess in the end my final cost was about $145.00 with shipping.

Hoosier

Well at least you got something back. If it's worth it to you, have the credit card company fight them.

Mine just showed up on my credit card today at the price I thought.

tgun

Does anyone know if the 900's had any issues? Are they the same VR for the600/700/900? I can get a used VR for $60 off of a 900. Just wondering if it will fit my 600. Thanks

zimmbob

Does anyone know if the 900's had any issues? Are they the same VR for the600/700/900? I can get a used VR for $60 off of a 900. Just wondering if it will fit my 600. Thanks

Looking at the Poo website, the 900 and 700's from 2005 and 2006 used the same VR, but the 600's used a different one. Might be just because they mounted in a different place. The parts manual won't say if the internal workings are the same. The part is clearly different, with the 700/900 version having cooling fins and a different mounting method.

Might be best to ask a tech at a Poo dealer.

toolie

Well i finally got to ride my sled yesterday and found out that my lights are working great but my hand warmers were at luke warm at best. I know they used to get very hot when set at high. Is it possible that the bad VR may have weakend my handwarmers or is it just a fluke that maybe I have a bad connection, corrosion or ground? Where's the best place to start testing?

tgun

Could be both. You can take the grips off and check the wiring first. That's how mine started, then the lights and now my dash goes in and out. More then likely you will be in the same boat with the rest of us in due time.