06 fusion 600 bad volt regulater

Hoosier

Yeah I got into the Fusion really cheap, so I'm not too upset. It taught me a lot about the mechanics of these things too!! lol.

Next sled will have a warranty. I love the IQ suspension and the way it looks, and most of my group drives them and hasn't had any problems, so I'm thinking either an IQ (600 or FST) or maybe a Vector. I'm not sure if I'll like the suspension on the Vector though, but 4 stroke reliability sounds appealing. It would be nice to get a little better gas mileage/oil usage also.

Hoosier

Toolie - Just talked to the mechanic. He said rod bearing went out (I think). Going to be expensive. Basicallly a full rebuild. He said you need fog engines if you use synthetic oil because synthetic oil doesn't stay on the bearings well enough for the offseason.

I don't fully understand all this stuff, so my terminology might be wrong.

toolie

Sorry to here that. I never fog my sleds and never had a problem yet. knock on wood. I'm going to check into that. I talked with my mechanic and said they couldn't find anything wrong with the electrical system. He thinks i might have some issues with my hand warmers such as a short or something of that nature. I don't have time for them to look at it. I am just gonna pick my sled up and replace the hand warmers this summer. Can't wait to see how much they are going to charge me for the inspection.

tgun

I finally got my VR in today. I am going to get out this weekend to see if it does the trick. I'll let you know after I get out.

toolie

Just got back from kabatogama, when driving at night with my hand warmers on light was very dim. turn my hand warmers off and had bright lights again. turn on my thumb warmers and did not affect my lights. Thumb warmer works great. Starting to sound like there is a short going on with the handwarmers. I picked my sled up from the dealer. He said they tore every thing apart. Took gas tank off, seat, exhaust, air box. check all connections, stator, handwarmers, VR. Everything checked out. loaded my sled on my trailor. I figured I would start it to make sure it still ran. well it started but couldn't shut it of with the key. It was unpluged, so i pluged it in. Did some further inspection and they forgot to hook 2 springs up on the exhaust. Had them come out and fix. Put eveything back together and went up north. When i got there i noticed my seat was not put back together properly. Was loose on one side. I had paid them $144.00 basically for nothing. I really don't want to bring my sled back to them to fix my seat all though i should. I know i can put new handwarmers on my self. I just don't know how that seat comes off or on. Any input on the seat would be appreciated.

toolie

Just wanted to give an update on my sled. Took it back to the dealer and they finally found the problem. It was a short on the right side handwarmer about the size of the head of a pen. replace right side handwarmer and all is well. Checked out when i got home and hand warmers work great. What a pain in the butt.

tgun

Glad to hear it. I need to bring mine in as well. I replaced the VR and lights still dim when I hit the brakes and my high beam light flickers on and off. Not to mention my HW are still luke warm at best.

Last edited:

toolie

You said when you hit the brakes the lights dim. One of the first things they did to my sled was remove the gas tank and seat to see if there was a short going back to the tail lights. When you had the update done on your sled that involved taking the tank and seat off. Maybe they didn't route the wires correctly and know it is shorting under the seat. There for when you hit the brakes it draws power from your lights if there was a short there. Worth a shot to look at.

tgun

I was thinking about taking the seat off. I have the skid out now so once I am done there I may mess with the wires as well. Got the shocks rebuilt, new hyfax and drilling the track for 120 studs. I think the 2 bolts on the heat exchanger must hold the seat on...I didn't see any other bolts. Thanks for the info.

toolie

I did see those 2 bolts on the heat exchanger underneath the tunnel but wasn't a 100% sure if they attached the seat but now that you mention it i will bet thats what holds the seat on. Good luck.

tgun

Have you done any tweeking to yours? I like to keep my motor stock but I bought some Bergstoms Triples 8 inch carbides this year and they are awesome...huge difference. Comes with ski shim, savers..no darting at all. They made a huge difference in turning. SLP can and now studs.

toolie

The only tweeking i've done is put 400 main jets in. I got 1 more thing for you to try on your sled. Get your sled running and squeaze your hand grips as hard as you can and see if your lights go out. cause when your braking you put alot more pressure on your hand grips and if you have a short in your HW'ers it would be enough presure to push the shorting area into your handle bars. I would try this before you take your seat off.