10-13 MI Snowmobile Fatalities report

2TrakR

My condolences to all those affected by the victims that contributed to these numbers.

Statistically, I could see no trend over the last three seasons other than poor snow conditions (10/11 & 11/12) meant lower rider numbers which also produced lower fatalities overall. If you take the 07-08 comprehensive report that goes back to 1992, we can see that the campaign against drinking and riding directly or coincidentally made an impact and reduced the overall numbers.

I was interested to see if signage related items would show (before or current) and do not see it as a statistical entry. People miss curves and hit trees (and die) on trail and off, with different signs or no signs.

Personally, the new sign program is fine from my perspective, however the implementation has been disappointing (but within expectations). It will take a few years before all the Clubs are up to spec, which is the same pattern we see with any program changes.

----

12-13

22 Fatalities (3/9/13 was last in the report, but the season is not over yet)

7 were from impact with tree on Designated Trails (32%)
4 of those 7 were specifically "failed to negotiate curve" (18% of total)

----

11-12

16 Fatalities

6 of those were impact with tree on Designated Trails (38%)
2 of those 6 were possibly, but not definitively, "failed to negotiate curve" (13% of total)

----

10-11

13 Fatalities

6 of those were impact with tree on Designated Trails (46%)
3 of those 6 were "failed to negotiate curve" (23% of total)

Firecatguy

Just common sense less signs more accidents = more deaths

less signage and fatal curve crashes go up....yeap there the study once again they put it right on our backs......just put the signs back.....wait I read on here all the time that the accidents are from Hand signals!!!

Dave_B

less signage and fatal curve crashes go up....yeap there the study once again they put it right on our backs......just put the signs back.....wait I read on here all the time that the accidents are from Hand signals!!!

I thought they were from using Amsoil!

In all seriousness, The new signage wasn't that bad. I only came across one 90 that wasn't maked on 107 that REALLY needed to be. In all fairness, however, I know most of the trails up there pretty good and usually have a good idea of what's ahead.

It's the people that don't know areas that are following and perhaps aren't paying as close attention as they should that I think are the ones who a more likely to make a mistake.

JMO

Dave

Hoosier

Pretty sad. Here is Wisconsin's report
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/snowmobile/fatalitySummary/snowCurrent.html

Number 15 is listed as a 13 year old boy, tragic. Trees and vehicles win most of the time.

Most of the BAC's listed on the Wisconsin list are almost jaw-dropping. We aren't talking about grabbing a beer or two at lunch or the end of the day. For example, I see .241, .253, .284, .260, .286, .188. There are a few lower ones and quite a few listed as pending, but all the ones I listed are 2x or 3x or more the legal driving limit. Absolutely insane to be operating a snowmobile like that. The deceased are listed as "victims" but the only victims in those cases are their families back home or others sharing the trail with them. Any avoidable death is tragic, and I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it's hard to understand.

Hoosier

At what point will we except responsibility for our actions?

Unfortunately those on the list with the 0.20+ BAC paid the price and in that way accepted responsibility. Not saying I've ever done anything stupid but that's hard to think about to that level. I assume all had families, and many probably supported families.

jebjk1

Unfortunately those on the list with the 0.20+ BAC paid the price and in that way accepted responsibility. Not saying I've ever done anything stupid but that's hard to think about to that level. I assume all had families, and many probably supported families.

At least they died doing what they loved... Drinking and riding.

towtruck

please no jokes or sarcasim when talking about fatalitites-
what is the deal with no signs? I was riding trail 13 between Greenland and Twin lakes alot this weekend and it was with out curve signs - is it the $ to put up the signs or liability for the state when a curve is not marked ? (say a sign gets knocked down, a guy hits a tree and tries to sue the state because he was not warned about the curve) or was there some other reason?

Hoosier

please no jokes or sarcasim when talking about fatalitites-
what is the deal with no signs? I was riding trail 13 between Greenland and Twin lakes alot this weekend and it was with out curve signs - is it the $ to put up the signs or liability for the state when a curve is not marked ? (say a sign gets knocked down, a guy hits a tree and tries to sue the state because he was not warned about the curve) or was there some other reason?

I have to assume you are being sarcastic about the signs. If not and you would like to open that can of worms, check out the other topic - probably 200 comments pro/con for the new sign policy

2TrakR

Just common sense less signs more accidents = more deaths

The statistics do not indicate that signs (or lack of) contributed to the fatalities. As a percentage, the number of folks who died due to tree impact while failing to negotiate a turn did not go up or down this year compared to the previous two years.
This year was a change in signs from the previous two years. In theory, if fewer signs were a contributing factor, we should have seen an increase in the percentage of overall fatalities that were due to failing to negotiate a curve.

Not being able to make a turn has been a substantial factor for many years according to the reports - but it did not matter if it was on a forest road, county road or designated trail (as in no signs, DOT signs and Trail signs respectively).

L

lenny

ummm NO! That's totally incorrect. You'll need to read the actual data not just jump to conclusion

L

lenny

The statistics do not indicate that signs (or lack of) contributed to the fatalities. As a percentage, the number of folks who died due to tree impact while failing to negotiate a turn did not go up or down this year compared to the previous two years.
This year was a change in signs from the previous two years. In theory, if fewer signs were a contributing factor, we should have seen an increase in the percentage of overall fatalities that were due to failing to negotiate a curve.

Not being able to make a turn has been a substantial factor for many years according to the reports - but it did not matter if it was on a forest road, county road or designated trail (as in no signs, DOT signs and Trail signs respectively).

exactly, and you have used the data to come to an accurate conclusion. Good work!