2000 indy wont start, low compression, worth rebuild?

lak7

I also pulled the recoil housing off and didnt see anything leaking from behind the flywheel, if the seal was bad I expected to see a mess....

I thought the crank case was negative pressure, that's why spraying seals would change idle - suck fuel in.

Have you used a Spark Tester?

jonesin

Yes, I used a spark tester and it looks good
I heard the same about the seals sucking air in, I guess it makes sense that there wasnt a mess

On line it looks like the crank seals can be replaced without splitting the case as long as you are carefull when putting them back in, is that true?
Crank seals are cheap, tempted to give that a try

I just wish I could get an answer to the question would bad crank seals reduce the compression
I wouldnt think so but if it does that would explain a lot......

lak7

I just wish I could get an answer to the question would bad crank seals reduce the compression
I'm pretty sure it does not.
Leaking seals reduces intake at the carbs - making the lean condition.

Maybe spray a little fogging oil in the cylinders, and re-check compression or try and start.

dofo1

Bad seals will not affect compression. Unless they melt a hole in the Pistons 😋

Can you test another sled to see if your gauge reads low?

How far will the spark jump, it should jump a 1/4" or so.

Did you try bypassing the throttle safety switch?

Will it fire with starting fuild?

Last edited:

jonesin

Bad seals will not affect compression. Unless they melt a hole in the Pistons 

LOL, I thought of that but they both read the same...

Can you test another sled to see if your gauge reads low?
I guess I could check the other sled, I borrowed it from my buddys race shop, pretty sure it would be accurate..

How far will the spark jump, it should jump a 1/4" or so.
It seemed strong, I used the thing you put between the plug and wire and it lights up and I also grounded it, didnt check how far but it sure looked strong and bright

Did you try bypassing the throttle safety switch?
it doesnt have one that I know of, no teather or anything...

Will it fire with starting fuild?
No, I tried that....

dofo1

Is it a auto compression gauge? If so that is why it may read low.

It has a throttle safety switch, that is why there is a slot where the finger throttle pivots and a pin that pushes in a switch on the throttle block. Take off your handle bar cover and unplug the wires going into the throttle block, make sure your throttle is not sticking before you try to start it, this will also disable the kill button. If it starts now it may not be a bad switch, you may need to adjust your throttle cables for more Freeplay.

jonesin

Is it a auto compression gauge?

it is an automotive gage with a dial
why would it be different?

- - - Updated - - -

It has a throttle safety switch, that is why there is a slot where the finger throttle pivots and a pin that pushes in a switch on the throttle block. Take off your handle bar cover and unplug the wires going into the throttle block, make sure your throttle is not sticking before you try to start it, this will also disable the kill button. If it starts now it may not be a bad switch, you may need to adjust your throttle cables for more Freeplay.

I will look, but on line the diagram doesnt show a switch or pin, the only wire on the throttle body should be the kill switch

dofo1

I will look, but on line the diagram doesn't show a switch or pin, the only wire on the throttle body should be the kill switch

It's possable that the kill switch circuit is also used by the throttle safety switch , all modern snowmobiles have some form, Polaris has them built into the throttle block,just unplug the wires coming out and see if it will start then at least you will know the problem is not in the kill switch or safety.

Even though 85psi of compression is low it should fire with starting fluid so I am thinking you have a spark issue, they sell spark testers that have a adjustable gap to see how far a spark will jump. If the spark is weak I would suspect a bad coil or stator.

jonesin

You were right, there are 3 plugs
I disconnected them and didnt get any response, still nothing
I will check out the spark "testers" using my in line light and just laying the plug on the block shows a lot of spark...
thanks!

It's possable that the kill switch circuit is also used by the throttle safety switch , all modern snowmobiles have some form, Polaris has them built into the throttle block,just unplug the wires coming out and see if it will start then at least you will know the problem is not in the kill switch or safety.

Even though 85psi of compression is low it should fire with starting fluid so I am thinking you have a spark issue, they sell spark testers that have a adjustable gap to see how far a spark will jump. If the spark is weak I would suspect a bad coil or stator.

dofo1

You were right, there are 3 plugs
I disconnected them and didnt get any response, still nothing
I will check out the spark "testers" using my in line light and just laying the plug on the block shows a lot of spark...
thanks!

I am fricken out of ideas, compression (even 85psi) starting fluid and spark it should start.

I would think even if the reed valves are bad it would start, can you pull them or is a 550 fan, those engines have the reeds between the head and the case so you have to pull the cyl off.

jonesin

I am out of ideas too
its liquid cooled, I looked at diagrams on line and didnt find the reeds... I will have to look again
I am going to get the compression tester again and see what it is on just the one initial pull instead of pulling 3-4 times until the gage stops rising, that was how I always thought you did it, maybe it is lower with just one pull....
I am about ready to just pull the carbs out of curiosity even though it was running great moments before
I am ready to pull the head off to see the pistons and rings clearly

lak7

Do you get anything if you give each cylinder a direct shot of starting fluid?
Have you tried new Spark Plugs?

jonesin

I have new plugs in it, I guess I could try another set
I was spraying the starter fluid in the airbox, I could try that
I tried pouring a little shot of gas in cylinders which didnt help
the plugs are pretty wet with gas when I try and start it

lak7

You should have gotten a rumble with gas down the cylinder - even if 1 cylinder is down.
Have you re-checked the worn wires going to CDI, or replaced them?
My thought is, if there is a bunch of corrosion inside the wire, could that throw the timing off enough.

dofo1

Throttle wide open 3 full pulls is correct for compression test. now I am wondering if it is out of time too, you would probably have to pull the engine to check, its possable the the the crank went of of phase. The cranks are pressed together so you can install bearings and the press fit can slip, not sure how to check with engine together, maybe someone else has an idea.

The reeds will be between the carbs and the cylinder, I would think that the pedals would have to be really screwed up to keep it from starting though.

One more long shot is look on the front of the block to see if you can access the crankcase drains down low on the block and open them to make sure the crankcase is not full of gas, then drain the carbs, then pour a table spoon of known good gas and give it a try. that would insure that a slug of really bad gas or water isn't sitting in there.

jonesin

checked compression with a single pull each cylinder was 75
I sprayed some starter fluid in each cylinder, put in plugs and pulled, nothing, not a sputter
I sprayed starter fluid in the airbox and pulled, nothing, not a sputter
about had it....

lak7

I wonder if it's time to pull the flywheel and see if something came loose?
There is also a Ground wire coming off the CDI/Coil that can be disconnected to eliminate the Kill Switch, Throttle Safety.

jonesin

I wonder if it's time to pull the flywheel and see if something came loose?
There is also a Ground wire coming off the CDI/Coil that can be disconnected to eliminate the Kill Switch, Throttle Safety.

loose
as on the stator or something?