2000 indy wont start, low compression, worth rebuild?

rp7x

if the plugs are still getting wet or are wet , you do need to drain the block or at least make sure its drained

jonesin

if the plugs are still getting wet or are wet , you do need to drain the block or at least make sure its drained
it
looks like there is a drain on the front bottom, bolt 7 or 8 on diagram, it does smell like fuel when it go in the shop....

jonesin

You might be on to something I drained enough fuel to soak a t shirt and leave puddle on the floor sprayed starter fluid in air box and tried it no cough or anything and then drained more fuel.....

rp7x

starting fluid in a 2 stroke is like a handful of sand I wont use any on my sleds , you need to get all that extra fuel out , start with turning the gas off , keep drying the plugs , did you take 2 drains out ?

jonesin

yes I drained both but it still wouldnt start
This sled ALWAYS started with choke on full and 2-4 pulls, never made me work at it.....
not sure about pulling the flywheel idea, if something was loose I wouldnt have spark at all would I?
I suppose that I will pull the carbs and check them out, havent done that this year.....

lak7

if something was loose I wouldnt have spark at all would I?
The plate that the Stator mounts to is adjustable for timing.

But if you are able to drain fuel out of the crank each time you try to start - I think the carbs is where I'd start.

rodehard

I just hopped on so i might have captured everything you have done. Polaris engines are actually pretty simple. You need spark, fuel and compression to get them to run. Your sled was running great and then it stopped dead.
I had a 700 triple that did that. It was the ground wire off the cdi. On the trail I saw the loose wire and connected it to an inadequate ground. We towed it into a mechanic in big bay and he connected it where it was supposed to go. Fixed the problem.
I had a 600 triple that gradually became impossible to start. It was the crank which was common on those models. I traded the sled in for parts because I didn't want to deal with it.
Enough of my stories. If you don't have a simple ground problem and you want to use it, take it to an expert tell them what you experienced when it died.

jonesin

well I hope that I found the fuel problem at least...
took the fuel pump off and looked good
took the muffler off and dumped gas out of it!
took carbs off and found one had the needle "stuck" took the pin and retainer off and it pulled right out but I could see a small black grain of something in the bottom of the opening which was probably not allowing it to seat
I am putting it back together tonight and hopefully it will it at least start...
If that chunk got in there when I was riding it wouldnt it have just ran on one cylinder or would that totally flood the motor out do you think?
I will be shocked if it SOLVES my problems but at least it may solve the filling the crank and exhaust with fuel......
I should have pulled the carbs first but I had them off 3 times last year trying to solve the high idle issue and figured they were clean as always....
Thanks for all the ideas!
I will let you know what happens!

- - - Updated - - -

I just hopped on so i might have captured everything you have done. Polaris engines are actually pretty simple. You need spark, fuel and compression to get them to run. Your sled was running great and then it stopped dead.
I had a 700 triple that did that. It was the ground wire off the cdi. On the trail I saw the loose wire and connected it to an inadequate ground. We towed it into a mechanic in big bay and he connected it where it was supposed to go. Fixed the problem.
I had a 600 triple that gradually became impossible to start. It was the crank which was common on those models. I traded the sled in for parts because I didn't want to deal with it.
Enough of my stories. If you don't have a simple ground problem and you want to use it, take it to an expert tell them what you experienced when it died.

not
sure about the triples, I have been told the indy 500 crank was about "bullet proof" but that the seals may have dried out and could be causing the high idle problems, if I get it running and the high idle persists then I will go after the crank seals next......
thanks!

jonesin

W
i put the carbs back on and now she starts right up and amazingly idles fine but when you give it has it smokes really bad and has zero power....
must have had two issues at once....

jonesin

at least it is back up running so I guess that I am at "square 2" instead of 1
I really want to pull the dang head off and see what the pistons and rings look like, it just seems odd that both cylinders are at 85, whats the odds of both going bad at same time....

dofo1

Did you ever use the gauge to check the compression on another sled to see what it reads? When you say it has no power, what do you mean, you can ride it but it won't hardly move or low top end?

jonesin

I have not checked another sled, I have the tester at home I can check the F7 and see what it is, I was going to recheck the indy to see if it was different now that the fuel has been drained and burned off just out of curiousity....

It starts great and idles but when I went to give it gas to go it would hardly move, just smoked and bogged down... I was barely able to get it to turn around and get back in the shop...

I replaced the primary clutch a couple years ago....

dofo1

I am thinking you may still have carb problems, you said that there was a piece of crap under a needle but did you check that they were sealing, I think they should hold 4 or 5 psi when the carb is upside down, was float level set? If you decide to replace the needle and seats spend the money for OEM parts.

jonesin

I retested compression and got about 95 on both
i pushed it back out and let it warm up longer, it seemed to idle a little higher for some reason, I took it for a rips down and back in the grass field and it flies once it gets going, lots of acceleration for a 500
kind of Boggs down and little power on the low end but it will take off without pushing...
i visually checked the primary clutch and looks good but might pull it apart...
you might be right about the carb posssibity, not sure how to check the needles and seat except visually...