2003 ski doo 800 motor problems?

snake

hey guys,got a buddy that needs engine work,prob rebuild. I have been a polaris guy/tech for a long time. did these sleds have crank or ?? issues? I dont want to rebuild this thing if its going to give him problems later,thanks for the help!

whitedust

Oh yeah my 2003 800 crank froze at about 3900 miles I think. On tear down rings were flaking as well. Got get to get used 800 enegine 2005 or younger but would not rebuild a 2003 800 waste of money only will freeze crank later & nothing you can do about it.

indy_500

just so we're clear,I'm asking about the doo cranks,I realize that poo def had crank issues. thanks again!

I know, I was talking about the Doo's. Buddys dad has an 03 rev 800 it now has 14,000 miles but on its 4th motor not sure why he keeps sticking motors in it??? They were all consistent between 3500-4500 miles though.

ezra

Oh yeah my 2003 800 crank froze at about 3900 miles I think. On tear down rings were flaking as well. Got get to get used 800 enegine 2005 or younger but would not rebuild a 2003 800 waste of money only will freeze crank later & nothing you can do about it.

WOW 3900 that is amazing I got less than 1/2 of that.
think it all depends on how much grease the robot squirted in to the crap sealed bearings that day.
those sealed bearing still show there ugly head from time to time in the CAN offerings.
there is a reason they had to implement a highly highly successful short block program.

nrascals

Hi ezra,i got 12,000 miles on my 03 800, these are not the ho's with problems! and they didn't have crank pto seal covers, only 600 ho did.
first year rev 800 used old zx motors.
ray and i rebuilt it, it popped because i forgot to add oil,you know how i hate oil
donnie

Last edited:

snake

thanks for the responses guys! also been reading that doo had ring issues back then=the surface material was flaking off, we saw the same thing happen with certain outboards. then the piston overheats/sticks ect.. cause the process of heat transfer is compromised

whitedust

Hi ezra,i got 12,000 miles on my 03 800, these are not the ho's with problems! and they didn't have crank pto seal covers, only 600 ho did.
first year rev 800 used old zx motors.
ray and i rebuilt it, it popped because i forgot to add oil,you know how i hate oil
donnie

Wrong mine was a 2003 800 MXZZX crank froze & rings were flaking. I spotted the grease ozing at PTO & thought dealer had greased something at the clutch. Anybody who thinks 2003 800 MXZZX was a good engine either baby's the engine or is lucky enough to win the lotto.lol I talked to Valcourt & they knew about the crank & rings thus the short block program & back on snow in 7 days. Unfortuately Valcourt did not care just said "out of warranty SUCKER"!! After that done with doo bought so many sleds from them did not care "Hello Yamaha Apex 4s goodbye engine problems".:)

deerhunter

i heard a dealer tell us a while back that there was something wrong with the rings in the 03 600 and 800 but was fixed in 04. should have been a recall but was covered up by doo to not let that leak out. as for polaris problem in that era... every stayed clear of the con"fusions"

Skidooski

The 04s also had the ring flaking problem on the 600s. I have two 04 rev 600s. Both had the rings changed out. Symtom is hard starting and stalling when going into reverse