2009 Cat M8 rebuild...

I tore down a friends 09 Cat 800 the other night...the pistons and rings were fried from a detonation issue (not getting into that arguement) what do you guys reccomend for new pistons? Should i go with OEM or Wisecos or SPI pistons??? Just curious whats better or worse for this motor. I usually run OEM pistons but i cant get as good of a deal on cat parts.

Thanks

ezra

I have had good luck with the spi. I have used in lots of top end jobs.I know of a few running around with over 3k on the jobs
when on a drug scale they are way closer in weight than OEM usually are.

hmmmm good to hear!! Id like to just order the SPI's since i can get those at cost instead of having to go through Cat. I didnt have time to look the rest of this sled over but do they have an external fuel filter on these sleds?? I know on the Poos we do them every year

snake

I have had good luck with the spi. I have used in lots of top end jobs.I know of a few running around with over 3k on the jobs
when on a drug scale they are way closer in weight than OEM usually are.

so ezra,you got the "good stuff" lol j.k!

ridehard

I have used the spi pistons on my 2000 Indy triumph 600 triple and it now has over 4000 miles on the spi piston rebuild.

ezra

ahah i dont want to know why ezra has a drug scale!

My next question is do you run the SPI "Hyperdrive Pistons" or the OEM Style??

I have used both I would be ok using either in my own ride. would prob order the Hyper drive for my own but if the oem were in stock I would use them.
and the scale it is a multi use scale 12 bucks for a digital how can u not own one. I keep it in the tool box.Dalton adjustable and heal kicker weights and I bring it with when going some place to by pistons that have them in stock. I will make the guy bring out all they have weigh them all out and pick the lightest closest match .prob wont matter but cant hurt.and with the cost of medicine now days u better make sure a oz is a oz

I have used both I would be ok using either in my own ride. would prob order the Hyper drive for my own but if the oem were in stock I would use them.
and the scale it is a multi use scale 12 bucks for a digital how can u not own one. I keep it in the tool box.Dalton adjustable and heal kicker weights and I bring it with when going some place to by pistons that have them in stock. I will make the guy bring out all they have weigh them all out and pick the lightest closest match .prob wont matter but cant hurt.and with the cost of medicine now days u better make sure a oz is a oz

Good to know, I just ordered the Hyperdrive..figured get the good ones. Thanks for the info and help guys, glad to know the SPI's are good parts. Ez anythin else to look for or worry about with these sleds? You seem to be knowledgable on the cats and motors...fuel filter? New Temp Sensor?

I may have to look into one of them scales, never put much thought into it until you made some good points!

Thanks