2014/2015 Snowmobile Season A Bust?

pinestump

Wow pretty funny to me that people seem to be panicking!
I have had 3 pretty fun sledding weekends already this year!
I rode in 38" in mid Nov and a couple feet thanksgiving weekend and this last weekend we had a blast riding anywhere we wanted with an 18'' hard base hiding all the crap with 6-8" of fluff on top of that!
Best fall riding and first week of the trails being open in MANY years IMO!
Of coarse this is in the Houghton/Handcock area of the Yoop!
I can't see this small warm up doing much to that hard base!
looking at my cams today it looks like we picked up 3-4 inches today and maybe get some more tonight!
Driving through Hurley/Ironwood yesterday the plow banks look like late Feb there!
a day or 2 of 40 above going to burn that all up? don't think so!
Everywhere else in the non-snowbelt areas of the Midwest are hit and miss every year for the most part!
It snows a foot and ya better get on it on day one or two or snooze ya loose!
Although we have talked about doing the Heikki dance and we all know that works for sure!
I wanted to do it the 2nd week of Nov but Richard said the hunters would shoot us and it turned out most hunters couldn't even get to their camps this year and threw in the towel!
So in a couple weeks we will be out with Kruppy doing the dance either way!
TWIN LAKES MI official season snowfall was at 87.4" on Dec 4th and we got some more today!
BRAAAAAAAAAP1
Scottiking oUT

Well said ....Peps need to get off their A .. and off the key board and ride when possible..
But you know most just want to be seen at a water hole or a parking lot and in my mind are not true sled heads...Good post I also have been ridding a lot and for the 1st weekend in Dec. we even have tree wells starting....Got to love it

Woodtic

Every year the trails and woods are a ghost town in March? If you really want to ride, you can ride from Dec to April somewhere in the Midwest. Some years more than others. Why do you think they sell trailers? If you are not willing to trailer? No snow for you!

groomerdriver

With our healthcare premiums doubling again....for the second year in a row, it takes $$$ out of the "fun fund". While I am lucky to live north of Hwy 8, the times I can afford to trailer to where I'd really like to ride are fewer and fewer.

Right "King" Obama?

You guys read where he was pimping Prince William about how to set up a Monarchy?! YGTBFKM!!!!!

whitedust

All my riding buddies seem to have lost interest or had kids and wives ect... Last year I put half my miles on alone and that was fantastic. Stop when I wanted to and look around. Ride at whatever pace I wanted. Couldn't believe how much I enjoyed that.
Yep me too enjoy the buds enjoy riding alone too & easy to get used too. I don't know spent sooooo many years on the road alone for my job just seemed like a natural transistion to me......the snow waits for no one.

durphee

We always take an early season trip but we don't worry about conditions or miles. We just get away, put on miles as best we can and enjoy the trip. I know not everyone has the time or money to do it but it works for us. Some years we rack up the December miles, some years it's time on the bar stool watching football. We can't control it but we can still have fun ! So, in a week and a half we will be searching the UP for anywhere to ride!

blkhwkbob

As a trail rider (the RX-1ton doesn't do well off trail) from the Chicago area, I think I do pretty well with what I have to work with. Going to the same area every trip isn't my thing. I've ridden more different areas than most people would believe, in addition to going to the U.P. and Northwoods snow belt repeatedly when it was the only place with snow. I enjoy riding new trails and sharing the hobby with as many new people as I can bring in. Riding alone isn't something I would do. I personally think it is unsafe and I would worry too much to enjoy myself. That's just me. I'm all about chasing snow, but it is really a treat when it isn't only north of HWY 8. The rolling hills west of Madison, all of Adams county, Door county, Marquette, Columbia, Brown, Walworth, even Racine are all great places to ride. I think the original poster is just bummed that it seems like a bad start down south here. I get it.

1fujifilm

The 4 sled makers don't just pump out 5,000 - 10,000 of each model anymore. They do a lot better job of pre-ordering sleds by dealers and which models people want to order.

All the Polaris and Ski Doo dealers I was at were low on sleds about a month ago and were having trouble doing dealer trades. I could see Yamaha and Arctic Cat maybe have some excessive viper and 7000 inventory but I would think they are also doing the same thing and shouldn't have too many extra sleds.

If they do the big 4 will put discounts on them to get them out but they are not going to drop the new prices of next years sleds.

Hello,
Not to be too disruptive of your post but my perception of why Ski-Doo dealers had no inventory a month ago was because the jerks at BRP did not make and/or ship the darned sleds. I live in Outagamie county and am still waiting for my March 2014 ordered 2015 600 E-Tec Renegade with free 3 year warranty for 10k flat. I am not happy, I could have went up to the U.P. last week and could leave tonight for another two dayer. Poor service etc.! What do I do? The alternatives are nil in this class of sled for price, quality, value and resale.

Sad and frustrated.

POLARISDAN

I don't mean this to be rude, but have you just recently moved to Chicago from a different planet? I'm just having trouble understanding your lodgic. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but, when have we EVER had good reliable snow in northern IL? (With the exception of last year) I've lived hear for 20 years now and other than last year, I can't think of a single winter that had reliable snow. If you own a snowmobile in IL, you had better be prepared to trailer it. Just the way it is here.

exactly why i live in MN now(aside from the crooked politicos)..no snow..no go(there)

momoney2123

Hello,
Not to be too disruptive of your post but my perception of why Ski-Doo dealers had no inventory a month ago was because the jerks at BRP did not make and/or ship the darned sleds. I live in Outagamie county and am still waiting for my March 2014 ordered 2015 600 E-Tec Renegade with free 3 year warranty for 10k flat. I am not happy, I could have went up to the U.P. last week and could leave tonight for another two dayer. Poor service etc.! What do I do? The alternatives are nil in this class of sled for price, quality, value and resale.

Sad and frustrated.

did ur dealer tell you when to expect the sled to come in?

1fujifilm

Yes.
I have called six times each about once a week for the past y weeks and was told it should be here next week. Getting to be an old story.

momoney2123

Yes.
I have called six times each about once a week for the past y weeks and was told it should be here next week. Getting to be an old story.

Im pretty sure thats a dealer issue. your dealer should give a an exact date to expect sled to be in. Sounds like the last sleds were built end of november, think friday the 28th of november was it. BRP handles dealers differently. Some that dont sell alot or have a hard time paying their bills, they wont send the sleds until they recieve payment or percentage of payment. Did you try contacting BRP? if BRP tells you to ask your dealer, then your dealer is at fault. If not BRP will give you an exact date. This type of thread was beat to death on dootalk. Also when you do get your sled, look at the build date on it. My sled was in about a week after the build date....just so you get your story straight.

Back on topic......bust--no bust :eek:

D

Deleted member 10829

The next 4 days are a bust for sure! No color at all on John's forecast map. Let's hope that's the last time we see that this season!! :) I'm hoping a change is coming as the models are hinting at. I have a new sled to break in for crying out loud.

kb97z

Definitely gonna be less days to ride this year...it is a little worrisome
We were hoping to get up to northern WI in December...does not look good as of today
Hoping that our trip in late January will have snow
Our club here in Southern WI is having a radar run jan 24 and they have weather concerns
sled heads want snow

Jonger1150

We always take an early season trip but we don't worry about conditions or miles. We just get away, put on miles as best we can and enjoy the trip. I know not everyone has the time or money to do it but it works for us. Some years we rack up the December miles, some years it's time on the bar stool watching football. We can't control it but we can still have fun ! So, in a week and a half we will be searching the UP for anywhere to ride!

Get the laptops/tablets/TV guide... Personally, I doubt you will be riding (on snow).

1fujifilm

Called BP today and opened a complaint file. First level admitted WI is having a few issues with spring orders. I escalated my concern a and am told I will get an email in 72 hours. Gal on phone was in Calgary, AB.

Called BP today and opened a complaint file. First level admitted WI is having a few issues with spring orders. I escalated my concern a and am told I will get an email in 72 hours. Gal on phone was in Calgary, AB.

Keep on them, just getting your sled is not enough. They can do more.
I had a major issue with BRP in 2009. After getting nowhere with the dealer(s), I had to do the multiple calls a day to BRP stressing my points of 3 blown motors in 100 miles was beyond unacceptable. They ended up giving me an extended warranty and a $1000 ski-doo credit. Way more than I expected, I just wanted a new crate motor. I did stress the lost trips and money I was out because of it.

POLARISDAN

Keep on them, just getting your sled is not enough. They can do more.
I had a major issue with BRP in 2009. After getting nowhere with the dealer(s), I had to do the multiple calls a day to BRP stressing my points of 3 blown motors in 100 miles was beyond unacceptable. They ended up giving me an extended warranty and a $1000 ski-doo credit. Way more than I expected, I just wanted a new crate motor. I did stress the lost trips and money I was out because of it.

the famous doo's blow motors? no friggin way:)

polarisrider1

the famous doo's blow motors? no friggin way:)

I am also in shock!?! Bet it had diesel in it. (just kidding) Sorry to hear you had issues Hardwater, and I commend you on your honesty. 3 motors is insane in 100 miles? insane.
That would sure "Bust" a season.

- - - Updated - - -

Dubruilville Ont. has snow and is grooming.